It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Green Tea vs Water

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
    DoeZ0763
    Veteran
    (female)

DoeZ0763 HB User
    Green Tea vs Water

I like both and wonder which is really better for you....Green Tea or water?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Green Tea vs Water

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoeZ0763 View Post
    I like both and wonder which is really better for you....Green Tea or water?
    Green Tea is supposed to be very good for your health because it's rich in antioxidants, although I don't think it would be very practicle to drink it exclusively from morning to night. So water definitely has its place.

For example: Because tea is considered to be a diuretic, many people don't want to drink it after about twelve noon. Otherwise, they would have to be getting up during the night to urinate. So when they get thirsty in the afternoon, they might drink water.

Another consideration: Some people can't drink tea unless it has some sugar in it. If that's the case, then you run the risk of canceling out all of the antioxidant benefits. If you are one of those who can't drink tea without sugar, then water would be the better choice.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
    DoeZ0763
    Veteran
    (female)

DoeZ0763 HB User

Ok...so it is good for you...yippeeeee. I'm liking the Liptons version...still good? And I should only drink 1 a day? And only in the morning? Then for the rest of my day I drink 3 more bottled waters...is this good? Thanks for you help

Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Ok...so it is good for you...yippeeeee. I'm liking the Liptons version...still good? And I should only drink 1 a day? And only in the morning? Then for the rest of my day I drink 3 more bottled waters...is this good? Thanks for you help
    Yes, I think the Liptons version of green tea is probably as good as any. (I'm assuming you're buying a box of tea bags and not the ready made.)

As far as how many cups you should drink per day: Everyone is different so you'll need to find out by trial 'n' error. Try one, two or three cups and see how it affects you. Then you can adjust it up or down.

Caffeine is an issue that I forgot to mention. If you happen to be sensitive to caffeine, you might want to buy the decaffeinated version. It won't be healthy if it causes you to lose sleep.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
    DoeZ0763
    Veteran
    (female)

DoeZ0763 HB User

No actually I was referring to the bottles of lipton green tea w/citrus flavor. I'm not one for hot tea and I'm not one for a decaf anything...I'm a very picky person and this is where I have my problems...foods...drinks...I'm trying to eat/drink right to loose weight as well as exercise.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

Green and black tea is very good for you but still get your water. I drink tons of water and maybe 2 cups of tea most days. Just drink it plain without sugar or artificial sweeteners or you really ruin the health benefits. Lemon is good to add.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    No actually I was referring to the bottles of lipton green tea w/citrus flavor. I'm not one for hot tea and I'm not one for a decaf anything...I'm a very picky person and this is where I have my problems...foods...drinks...I'm trying to eat/drink right to loose weight as well as exercise.
    I've never bought lipton green tea in bottles so I'm not familliar with the product. If all it has added is "citrus flavor" then it might be as effective as the tea bags, as far as antioxidants. You can find that out by calling the toll free phone number that they usually provide.

If you're trying to lose weight, here's a quick suggestion: Don't buy or use any fruit juice. Eat whole fruit instead, in limited amounts. Examples: 1 small apple or half of a big apple, 1 small orange or half of a big orange or half of a medium size banana. Dried fruit is another story because it's more concertrated and the calories can add up fast if you're not careful.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

Very good point about the fruit juice and dried fruit. Should really be avoided or used in very small amounts if trying to loose or maintain.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
    DoeZ0763
    Veteran
    (female)

DoeZ0763 HB User

Wow...Thank You for that input. This is so hard for me cuz I am such a picky eater and with my job I dont have that luxury of always having a really good lunch. I'm a mail carrier and I need to loose bewteen 20-25 lbs to be where I feel comfortable. I walk about 4-5 miles a day...I don't really drink juices so thats a good thing...lol I'm trying to eat more salads or stir frys...Healthy soups and yogurts...But with my job I do pack a lunch and again its hard...I don't have anywhere to heat up a soup or something...so being a picky eater as I am...I feel like its almost impossible for me to eat good. But I'm tying and all the inputs you have are greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
    JessTNineHole
    (female)

JessTNineHole HB User

I would be careful with the bottled teas, the liptons, sobe, etc. there second ingredient is ususally always citric acid. That can cause upset stomaches, well in me anyway. I drink lots of water, and peets green tea is pretty good. cold or hot.

Good luck losing the weight... I hear ya
    Jess

Old 10-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

I pack lunch too and here are some things I pack that I don't have to heat up.
    Tuna, no mayo in a low carb, whole grain wrap or pita with lettuce, jalapeņos and tomato, Sometimes I add pinto or black beans to the tuna. Does not sound good but it is.
    Chicken or fish. I can eat them cold. In a pita or wrap like the tuna with veggies.
    Baked sweet potato. I bake it and cut it up put it in Tupperware. It is good cold or room temperature and I read an article that potatoes are better for you cold. I often mix fat free cottage cheese with the sweet potato. Again it does not sound good but it is.
    I make peanut butter and banana wraps. I buy naturally more peanut butter. It is lower in fat and has good fats like omega3, flax oil.
    Wraps made out of black beans, with hot sauce and lettuce and tomato. I put hot peppers on a lot of things. They are excellent for you in many ways. Do a search on the benefits of hot peppers. One benefit is they speed up your metabolism.
    I drink tons of water before and during my meals.
    Egg beaters. Make a wrap or mix them with peppers and onions.
    Chicken and turkey sandwiches.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

>>>I make peanut butter and banana wraps.<<<

Everything you mentioned sounds good. I would just be careful with the peanut butter and banana wraps. If you don't accurately measure one serving of peanut butter, that could be a problem. Although peanut butter contains protein, it should be considered a fat. And good fat is still a fat.

You don't have to eliminate it, just see if you can stick to one serving and get your protein elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
    DoeZ0763
    Veteran
    (female)

DoeZ0763 HB User

Oh my...it looks like I'm just gonna have to try to figure this out. Because I DO NOT eat seafood...I can tolerate tuna but only with mayo...I love chicken so that might not be to bad...potatoes...have to be warm for me...I'm telling you I'm the worst when it comes to this because I'm such a picky eater. But I did switch my bread to wheat so thats a plus...I can do turkey to but also have to have mayo...I pack some yogurts...and usually a snack...like small prestzels...I did start taking my multi vitamin...and Mega T Green Tea diet pill...again...this is so hard for me because I am so picky. Thanks again for the inputs

Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

DoeZ0763, buy a warmer for your lunch box or put your potatoes in a Thermos. Chicken, turkey, boca burgers are all good non-seafood choices. Low fat cheese sandwiches are another good choice. Brown rice with veggies. When you buy whole wheat/grain breads make sure whole wheat or whole grain is listed as the first or second ingredient. Read labels. Not all brown breads are the same. Some are no better than white. High in sugar, calories, preservatives. Read the labels on everything. Lookup clean eating.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-22-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 AM   #15
    littleshelly
    (female)

littleshelly HB User

I measure all of my food. Fat is not bad. You must have saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat every day. Transfat's are a different story. You do not need any at all. The peanut butter I buy is natural and has Omega 3 fatty acids and flax. It is only 169 calories for 2 tbs. I use less than that. People mistakenly cut out fat and carbs. It is all about balance. You also have to take your activity level into concideration. I workout 6 days a week and am very active during the day. 3 days a week lifting, 3 days HIIT and the rest mixed up cardio and strength training. So you need more calories if you are very active. Protein and carbs are particularly important after lifting and HIIT type training.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-22-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread