It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Kefir drink? Good for health?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User
    Kefir drink? Good for health?

HiEveryone, I just heard about a drink called Kefir probiotic, it's suppose to be good for everything from building your immune system to yeast infection. I have done a little research on it, however, was interested in finding out if all the claims they make about it could possibily be true. Would be very grateful to hear from you. Thank You!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
    Re: Kefir drink? Good for health?

I drink it and I also give it to my toddler daughter, we use this for prevention in addition to many others things. I am rarely sick and in her 2.5 years of life she has yet to get sick or even a cold or runny nose.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
    wildflowers
    (female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank You Alexa, that is so great to know, reading the info on it, they mentioned to start out slowly because of your body getting use to it. I know there are more and different good bacteria in comparison to yoghurt, my immune system is somewhat compromised due to back surgery and was concerned to introduce it to something knew at this time. Thank You for your response! Blessings!

Old 10-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I wanted to mention that I never started out eating/drinking it slowly, neither has mu toddler. It will be great to build up your immune system naturally after surgery.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Drink up, kefir is great.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
    noel baet
    (male)

noel baet HB User

i drink kefir power probiotics for two months now. my immune system became stronger. during the last flu season i never had one whereas before two times a year i got this flue bugging me. two weeks back, i was with my friend who was suffering from flu but alas he was unable to transmit the bug to me. this must be because of kefir power probiotics. it really works.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

I drink Kefir, too. I prefer the non-fat versions, but sometimes those are difficult to find in my area so I have to settle for the low-fat version. My favorite flavors are the blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry/banana.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I've had it, and it's good, it's certainly not bad (unless may you're lactose intolerant)
    but I don't think it's much more than glorified yogurt......

Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Be careful of flavored versions; like yogurt, they may have undesirably large amounts of added sugar.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
    Be careful of flavored versions; like yogurt, they may have undesirably large amounts of added sugar.
    While I agree with you on that, I would think that drinking the unflavored varieties could be likened to drinking something that is the consistency of...oh I don't know...glue! Yuck! There are far worse things I could be drinking, IMO. A little added sugar in my Kefir isn't going to send me to my grave.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    While I agree with you on that, I would think that drinking the unflavored varieties could be likened to drinking something that is the consistency of...oh I don't know...glue! Yuck! There are far worse things I could be drinking, IMO. A little added sugar in my Kefir isn't going to send me to my grave.
    Hmmm, eating or drinking plain kefir seems to me to be like eating or drinking thin plain yogurt. I actually like plain yogurt and plain kefir.

My suggestion is that if you want fruit flavored yogurt or kefir, buy plain and add whatever whole fruit you like (instead of heaps of added sugar found in preflavored versions).

Old 06-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Sorry...don't like plain yogurt or kefir. I typically only eat greek yogurt, and I prefer the vanilla or honey flavors...so I will stick with what I like. Like I said, I could do FAR worse than having 1 yogurt or kefir serving a day with a bit of added sugar. Moderation is the key. I eat plenty of fresh fruits per day, in addition to adding them to my PLAIN oatmeal.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
    naschol
    (female)

naschol HB User

I don't like plain kefir, either, but have found a great way to flavor mine. I should add here, that I make my own kefir from raw milk. Anyway, I blend kefir with frozen mango chunks until the mixture is kind of grainy (like a milkshake). It is wonderful and very refreshing on a hot day. I get the frozen mango chunks in the freezer section at Sam's. I have tried it with blueberries, mixed berries and strawberries, but have to add a little sweetener with those (I use stevia) and just like the mango better.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

What is kefir? Someone said it's made from raw milk. Well, I wonder what the process is. And once it's made, what does it consist of? Does it contain milk solids? Milk fat? Water?

I just posted some information about milk on the "healthy Lifestyles" board. How does kefir relate to that? Does it contain IGF? I'm not suggesting that it does, I'm just asking.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Kefir is similar to thin yogurt, with many of the same lactose / lactic acid bacteria.

Fat content varies based on whether it was made with skim, whole, or some sort of reduced fat (1% or 2%) milk. Flavored varieties tend to have lots of added sugar, like flavored yogurts.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjlhb For This Useful Post:
    JohnR41 (01-13-2011)
    Closed Thread