It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Eating Foods with Sodium, then Drinking Lots of Liquids

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Eating Foods with Sodium, then Drinking Lots of Liquids

I was just wondering...sodium intake, does it deplete from your body as you drink liquids?

I do not know what normal/healthy sodium intake is, and my blood pressure is fine to maybe a bit low. I am just concerned about kidney stones....for instance, today I ate tuna fish (which I just realized that it's high in sodium), lamb meatballs, and I normally eat lots of cheese. I also drink lots of milk, maybe almost 2 full glasses per day ( which I'm including cereal & coffee milk.)If I drink half a gallon of water or liquids like juice, urinating, as a result, almost 2xs an hour, do I deplete the sodium intake I just had? How does it work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
    CandP
    Veteran
    (female)

CandP HB User
    Re: Eating Foods with Sodium, then Drinking Lots of Liquids

Anyone know???

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

CandP,

Most of the time I prepare my own food at home, and I can control my salt intake. When I eat something salty (ham, soy sauce, or anything in a restaurant, etc), I feel very dehydrated, headachy, and just generally like "not-nice". I find that drinking lots of water during the day helps flush out the excess sodium from my cells, and it takes a day or two before I feel "normal" (whatever that is ) again.

Yes, drinking water can bring balance back to the electrolytes in the body. I sort of vaguely understand it as your body trying to keep a balance of sodium, potassium, and calcium inside the cells and outside in the blood.

Does anyone else have a clearer explanation?

In the meantime, drink water, a glass or two per hour, until your urine is pale yellow instead of dark yellow. And learn to read product labels so that you minimize your intake of sodium.

--Rheanna

Old 02-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

CandP,

Healthy adults should limit their sodium intake to 2.3 grams per day.

You should be concerned about more than kidney stones. High sodium intake over several decades can eventually cause hypertension. Also, high intake can eventually cause stomach cancer. You might not get any of the above problems or you might get one or more. You just need to be aware that by consuming excess sodium you raise your risk.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I always thought that if you drink a lot of water that it flushes out the sodium if you eat a diet higher in sodium.(or if you don't haha). I am a salt freak btw. I've read that those who crave saltier foods versus sweets are considered "fast oxidizers." A diet best for these people are animal protein(steaks, beef liver, chicken) fatty monsaturated oils, nuts and seeds, and lots of veggies LOW carbohydrates is recommended to keep blood sugar levels in check and just for overall optimal health. I think this applies to me because it seems like I digest my food fast, and I'm hungry very quickly, and I CRAVE salt. Ya'll may want to look into this theory, it seems to make some sense. (there are also slow oxidizers and one other one).

Last edited by Jess75; 02-11-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

CandP,

The advice to limit sodium intake to 2.3 grams per day (about 1 teaspoon) came from the American Heart Association. Today I checked another source (The book "The Okinawa Program".) and the recommendation is: "limit salt intake to less than 6 grams per day (3 teaspoons).

Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

[QUOTE=CandP;3868888]I was just wondering...sodium intake, does it deplete from your body as you drink liquids?

CandP,

I missed your main question so I'll try again. The short answer is yes, in my opinion, you will deplete water-soluble nutrients. If you consume an excess amount of anything (animal protein and/or sodium) drinking an "excess" amount of water will flush water-soluble nutrients from your body.
    Of course it's good to flush out the excess sodium and the toxic protein by-products that comes from digesting large amounts of animal protein, but there's a price to pay for doing so.

I can't see how anyone can flush out the "bad" without flushing out some of the "good" too.

Last edited by JohnR41; 02-12-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: small correction and word change

Closed Thread