It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Does selective wheat intolerance exist?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
    dreamkatcha
    (male)

dreamkatcha HB User
    Does selective wheat intolerance exist?

Hi,

I was wondering have you ever heard of anyone who is intolerant to certain wheat based foods but not others? If so how do you explain it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Does selective wheat intolerance exist?

Dreamkatcha,

I've never heard of it but I suppose anything is possible. I'm trying to think of some examples of "wheat based foods" and how they might differ from one another. Let's see: There's whole wheat grain that contains no additives (whole wheat berries). Then there's wheat germ and whole wheat bread. I suppose we would have to include just about all baked goods whether they're made with white flour or whole wheat flour. Wheather it's a loaf of white bread, donut or pizza, it's a "wheat based food".

It seems they might differ by whatever other ingredients are added. For example, dough conditioners, yeast, salt, sugar or high fructose corn syrup, nuts and fruit (like you would find in a fruit cake) etc..

Could the intolerance be to some ingredient that's added to the wheat, rather than the wheat itself?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
    dreamkatcha
    (male)

dreamkatcha HB User

Thanks for the reply. I should really have given you more to go on, sorry.

I decided a few months ago that I'm wheat/gluten sensitive in some way despite the results of my blood tests contradicting the theory.

At the time I was eating lots of breakfast cereals with a very high wheat content (100% in the case of Shredded Wheat) and all of a sudden it would knock me out like a wrecking ball. I'd have to sleep off the instant fatigue before being able to function again.

Most of my experiments with 'wheat based foods' revolved around cereal even though I was eating other wheat containing meals at the time such as pasta, cous cous, pies, pizza, battered meat and so on.

Every now and again I'll try something like this to see how I react, and the head rushes, confusion and fatigue don't seem to be any worse than after eating any other foods. Nevertheless, the repercussions of eating a bowl of wheat cereal are way above base-line.

I've tested the effects of differing sugar content seeing as most cereal is full of the stuff by eating low sugar varieties such as All Bran. That floored me too and it's practically pure wheat which seems to suggest wheat is the issue.

As you've alluded to maybe it's all about the ratio. A bit of wheat flour is OK, but not a bowlful of pure wheat with nothing to 'dilute' it.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Do you have any of the "other" common symptoms that go along with having a gluten-intolerance? Such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, pain, fatty stools, weight loss/gain? Or is it just the fatigue/exhaustion that you are experiencing?

Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
    dreamkatcha
    (male)

dreamkatcha HB User

No, the symptoms all seem to be neurological - poor concentration/memory, fatigue, depression. I've lost weight but probably only because cutting out gluten is synonymous with cutting out so many fatty foods.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

dreamkatcha,

It is possible to have gluten sensitivity without having full-blown celiac disease. Some wheat flours have a higher gluten content than others. You can indeed be reacting to some food products which use a higher-gluten variety of wheat (or even added gluten as an extra ingredient), while not reacting to products which use a lower-gluten variety of wheat.

I try to keep my diet as gluten-free as possible. I don't allow wheat flour or any wheat-based products in my house (I read the ingredients list of any product that I might be interested in). I don't eat at Italian restaurants, unless their menu says I can get a dish based on rice or potato. You probably don't have to be this extreme.

But trust your own research results -- if you react to certain products but not to others, then there is a reason for it! Don't let anyone talk you out of your suspicions just because you don't have the "usual" celiac symptoms of "gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, pain, fatty stools, weight loss/gain".

I "flunked" the tests for celiac (antibody blood tests, looking for damage in my intestines) -- that is, the tests came back negative. Therefore I don't officially have celiac. But I know what I react to. I react to wheat, rye and barley. So I don't eat them.

Good luck in trying to narrow down what you are reacting to.

--Rheanna

Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Celiac is unlike gluten intolerance or wheat allergy in that there may not be any immediate physical signs - the abnormal immune system response can be provoked and damage can be done to the lining of the small intestine without symptoms. Some folks with Celiac never have any symptoms other than those long term problems caused by malabsorption.

Extreme fatigue after eating carbs/sugars can be a sign of pre-diabetes.

I have celiac and follow a strict GF diet. About a year ago I started getting exhausted after meals, especially starchy ones. I spent several months ripping through my pantry trying to find a gluten-y culprit, when someone online suggested it might be insulin sensitivity. Other than Celiac disease I don't have any of the other risk factors for diabetes so it never even occurred to me. After a moderately high glucose fasting test, I've added the low-glycemic diet to my GF diet.

Later I found out that the vitamin D deficency I had been diagnosed with the beginning of '08, probably added to my insulin resistance problems.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
    seekfind
    (female)

seekfind HB User

I developed a severe wheat allergy (off the charts on the tests) due to Lyme disease, about 12 years ago now.

They tested me for celiac (twice) over this past decade and both times were negative. So it's possible to have a true wheat allergy or intolerance and not have celiac.

As far as being allergic to only certain items: For me, it is the wheat from America that I am allergic to (for some reason). I went to Paris and succumbed to their bread...and to my surprise had no bad effects from it at all.

So, maybe it has to do with where the wheat is grown, as odd as that sounds.

Last edited by seekfind; 02-15-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #9
    dreamkatcha
    (male)

dreamkatcha HB User

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated.

I think it could well be a combination of not metabolising sugar properly/eating too much of it and reactions to wheat. I looked up Lyme disease and many of my symptoms would fit that profile too.

When I first starting investigating the wheat connection I switched breakfast cereals and started buying frosted cornflakes and Coco Pops which are great for celiacs but lethal in terms of sugar content. Just recently I've been getting boring, plain cornflakes and Rice Krispies which contain about a quarter of the sugar content of most other cereal.

I'm not sure what to do about dried fruit yet. A lot of that is 50% sugar, albeit naturally occurring. I suppose sugar is sugar and if you're doing a trial cutback this should also be off the menu.

That's an interesting point, I've never considered how the allergenic potential of wheat in different countries might vary. Maybe it has something to do with farming practices - particular pesticides are probably favoured in different countries. That might explain it.

So far I've been tested for celiacs, cortisol/blood sugar abnormalities, increased levels of IgE antibodies, had an ultrasound, inflammatory profile, haematinics screen, and faecal elastase. None of those revealed any cause for concern, which ironically I find very concerning. Pfft.

I'm going for a gastroscopy with D2 biopsy and CLO test on Friday.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
    When I first starting investigating the wheat connection I switched breakfast cereals and started buying frosted cornflakes and Coco Pops which are great for celiacs but lethal in terms of sugar content. Just recently I've been getting boring, plain cornflakes and Rice Krispies which contain about a quarter of the sugar content of most other cereal.
    Just a FYI - Coco Pops, Cornflakes and Rice Krispies contain barley malt and are not gluten free. They only brand name cereal that is gluten free is Rice Chex.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
    dreamkatcha
    (male)

dreamkatcha HB User

Oh yes I know, thanks. The breakfast cereal/cereal bar/drinks manufacturing industry seems to be obsessed with the stuff. *sigh* They take the handful of celiac-safe cereals left and contaminate them for no good reason. Anyone would think this stuff is some kind of magic elixir. If I was head of Kelloggs I'd be embracing their rice/corn cereals' status as the best (major-brand-sold-everywhere) option for celiacs and scrap the barley extract altogether.

Even so (in the UK at least), the celiac society has declared that very small quantities of barley malt extract are acceptable for consumption by gluten sensitive people.

I buy a lot of Sainsburys own cereal which includes the "suitable for celiacs" stamp. All of these - frosted flakes, cornflakes, rice pops, coco snaps - contain barley malt flavouring. Bit of an oxymoron but there you go.

I don't think you can get Rice Chex in the UK, but some of the major supermarkets sell Kallo Whole Earth Organic Cornflakes which definitely are gluten free and not excessively expensive like many special diet products.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
    dreamkatcha
    (male)

dreamkatcha HB User

I've been completely wheat/gluten free since about the time of my last post (I swapped the barley malt extract containing cereals for plain millet and buckwheat) and am still having the same symptoms (fatigue and brain fog).

I'm not as messed up as when I started this 'adventure' but then that could be a result of eating such a bland, low raw sugar (though not low carb), natural diet.

I got one of those blood glucose measuring devices and that indicates that my pre and post meal ranges are normal so I'm stumped again.

Does anyone have problems processing sugar yet perfectly normal blood sugar levels?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #13
    seekfind
    (female)

seekfind HB User

As mentioned previously, my wheat allergy stems from contracting Lyme Disease. So if this allergy came on suddenly for you (not born with it) you may want to consider the cause.

Given that even with an elimination diet this fatigue/brain fog still lingers, you may consider that the symptoms stem from some other illness (such as Lyme Disease) and not from ingesting wheat/gluten.

Also too, you could also possibly be allergic to sugar or something else that you are eating.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-31-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread