HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   How much fat in a slice of cheese? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/675360-how-much-fat-slice-cheese.html)

Belly Kelly 03-02-2009 10:33 AM

How much fat in a slice of cheese?

I buy Naturally Slender cheese from the deli (love that stuff) but have no idea how much fat is in a slice of deli cheese. Naturally slender is low fat and I could eat it all day. I limit myself to 1-3 slices a day - on a salad, sandwich, crackers, etc. I have no idea how much fat or calories might be in a slice. Any help?

polkaadot 03-02-2009 02:03 PM

Re: How much fat in a slice of cheese?

hi! well, its very hard to actually say how uch fat it has if it's not listed somewhere, but i would personally believe that the low fat cheese from the deli is similar to the low fat cheeses you get from the supermarket that has nutrition info tables on them.

cause diff kinds of cheese also has diff nutritional values, so you could actually try going to the supermarket and look up the kind of cheese your buying from the deli, and see how much fat the lowfat variety has - it will at least give you an estimate of how much fat there is in the one your eating.

or - just in general, all low fat cheeses should contain similar amounts of fat anyway, maybe just slight differences that don't have to be taken that seriously about.
for example, a low fat cheddar cheese has an average of 5g fat and 3g sat fat/slice. so you can sorta estimate that your low fat cheese can be something quite similar to that.

<removed>

remember though - it doesnt really matter that much because you're already eating the low fat version of it and (hopefully!) a healthy, balanced diet as well :) so i wouldnt really worry much about the fat amount in the cheese cause you're not overeating it in any way. remember our bodies doesnt necessarily fully digest OR absorb EVERYTHING we eat, so calories or # grams of fat, prot or carb only gives you a general idea, but whether these are fully obtained by the body or partially excreted - no one really knows

sorry about the rant LOL but i just wanted you to know that - dont worry bout it if you cant find any answer to this, its def not a big problem to eat the cheese still :)

tjlhb 03-02-2009 06:33 PM

You can ask the deli to show you the nutrition label, or find out from the company that makes the cheese (do you mean Naturally Slender from the Land O' Lakes company?).

Belly Kelly 03-09-2009 06:33 AM

I was able to find some info. on the Land O Lakes web site. It says 6 g for 1 oz. of cheese. I would say a single slice of cheese doesn't have this much fat so having 1-3 slices of cheese won't throw off my diet. Whew! Thanks for the help everyone.

catheryn 03-09-2009 08:07 AM

Remember, while fat is important, make sure you pay attention to calories. I've seen low fat and fat free products that have tons of cals in them. I'd even go as far as to say your primary concern should be the calories not the fat grams in regards to dieting. So, look at the calories in that cheese and figure out if that can fit in with your calorie limit for the day given the other foods you eat. I know for me, I just avoid most cheese because they have too many calories. Kraft makes a nice fat free cheese slice, though, and it's about 30 cals a slice and isn't bad at all. Hard cheese though, are usually not much better than their full fat counterparts.

I'm not trying to be harsh or snarky here at ALL, I would just hate anyone's dieting efforts be sabotaged. I learned the hard way after eating fat free products and still gaining weight because the caloric values were way higher than I should've been eating. :)