It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Frequent Hunger is Annoying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
    graces23
    (female)

graces23 HB User
    Frequent Hunger is Annoying

Ever since I quit smoking almost 4 years ago, my appetite has been quite high.

Iíve always been naturally slim and with a very fast metabolism. Until I quit smoking, I had to eat quite a bit of junk food and high fat foods or my weight would actually drop, which I didnít want. I am 5í7Ē and up until I quit smoking at age 27, I weighed around 53kg.

6 months after quitting, my weight went up to 64kg. I concentrated on eating low fat and healthy foods, and 6 months later, my weight went back down to 57kg, and has remained stable ever since.

This isnít really my issue. My main thing is I am just hungry so frequently, despite what I eat. I try to eat filling things like protein (tofu, legumes, chicken, etc), dairy and fibre (cereal, low fat milk based drinks, yoghurt) and such, but it doesnít seem to make me very full.

For example, I like these drinks that are apparently the equivalent of 2 shredded wheat biscuits and milk, and are supposed to fill you up for around 2-3 hours, but Iím always hungry within an hour!

My partner has a piece of toast for breakfast and a black coffee. I have a bowl of cereal (healthy shredded wheat cereal, not junk cereal), 2 slices of toast and a protein milk drink like the one I mentioned above, and Iím hungry in 1-2 hours, whereas she will go until lunch (about 4 hours later) and not be hungry.

Why am I like this? Is it just the way I am? My partner eats SO well, lots of salads, she only gets hungry 3 times a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and has no snacks, whereas I am always grazing and snacking (on things like raw cashew nuts, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, tuna, and once a day a sweet biscuit and piece of chocolate so I have some indulgence!) and hungry. She is slightly overweight and cannot seem to shift it, whereas Iím slightly underweight. What the?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
    HERAIRNESS
    (female)

HERAIRNESS HB User
    Re: Frequent Hunger is Annoying

Hi GraceSlick,
    I am having the same problem. I quit smoking 2 years ago and my appetite is nonstop. I don't eat big meals but pick all day long and night. The smoking really curbed that but I won't go back to it. Good luck. Let me know if you find any help and I will do the same.
    Herairness

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Ironically, quitting nicotine causes weight gain due to the improvement in overall health; lowering of systemic inflammation, decreased heart rate and being able to taste and smell again.

Weight gain tends to level off in two to five years.

Edit to add: sugar free popsicles kept me busy. They're satisfying, take awhile to eat and are only 10-15 calories.

Last edited by AuntieLeela; 03-22-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
    friendsville
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

friendsville HB User

I find that if I drink a glass of water before I eat,that it will take away some of my hunger feelings.Take a glass ,even between meals.That helps my stomach not to
    make hunger noises. A count of 11 or 12 swallows,is a glass of water for me. Bill

Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

How much vegetables do you eat? Vegetables, with their volume and fiber, can help fill you up and keep you full.

Also, dry cereals (even the better ones made of whole grain with no added sugar) are typically fast digesting carbohydrates which may not keep you full as well as hot cereals like oatmeal.

Good fats, like those from nuts, avocados, fish, and non-hydrogenated vegetable oils (other than coconut and palm oil), in moderation can also help keep you full.

Soup made from healthy ingredients (broth based, with vegetables, legumes, fish, and/or lean other meat) can also be very filling, due to its volume.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
    graces23
    (female)

graces23 HB User

Thanks for that

I find if I have a breakfast of say, poached eggs on soy & linseed toast, with mushrooms, spinach, etc, I'll be SO full and can actually go for hours without food. It's excellent! But nothing else does it, and I can't have that breakfast everyday.

I also find my appetite dulls during the day while I'm at work. I eat a banana and a little thing of diced fruit...and a handful of nuts. That's it. I can get through on that, but I feel SO empty.

I also find if I am full from a big meal, I still get major cravings for something sweet afterwards. And it's really not because I'm still hungry. I actually feel this horribly strong urge for sugar and it doesn't go away if I ignore. Eventually I start to feel a bit sick so eat something small and sweet, then I feel fine and like my meal is "finished". I wonder what that means.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

My thoughts are, you may be sensitive to carbs and have a tendency towards hypoglycemia (or low blood sugar), which can make you feel hungry every 1-3 hrs.

It is interesting when you had the breakfast of eggs/soy and just 1 slice of toast, you could last alot longer. - Where as, your typical breakfast of 2 slices toast, shredded wheat is much higher in carbs, with some protein in the milk. - BUT, even the milk has carbs. (Usually 12gms/8oz cup.)

I would vary your breakfast and try a high protein meal:
    -eggs/soy one day.
    -fish another day.
    -peanut or almond butter with ONE slice toast.
    -Unsweetened soy milk (less carb than diary milk) with a handfull of nuts and 1 slice toast.
    -grilled low fat cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread with 1 cup unsweetened soy milk.

Read labels and look for foods with 20gms or < per serving of carbs and <5gms sugar, high fiber, protein depending on the food 4gms or >. These types of foods will stay with you longer. A good snack are soy crisps. Genisoy makes one that has 7gms protein per serving. - these things will stay with you longer.

Leea

Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
    graces23
    (female)

graces23 HB User

Thank you! You know, it's a bit weird, but even as I read those suggestions you had for my breakfast, I felt I just knew they would fill me up more than other things...I agree with you - I am prone to mild hypoglycemia. I get shaky and almost a slight tunnel vision if I haven't had anything to eat for a few hours, and MAJORLY when what I last ate was heaps of sugar (when I used to go to the movies for example and get chocolate and other sugary foods and coke, when I came out after a few hours, I'd feel SO strange and be craving something "dry" to even me out)

Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I have hypoglycemia as well! I just keep little healthy snacks arond to much on throughout the day or I just feel too dizzy and out of it and can't concentrate at work. I think it's SO important to drink plenty of water. You want to stay well hydrated. Aim for about 8 glasses of water and it should help keep you a bit more full. I used to drink less water and felt hungry more often, so I know it works for me.

I think it's a great idea to have some low calorie vegetable soup with lunch and/or dinner. Many vegetable soups have 100 calories or less for a serving, so it won't add too much to your meal, and it will help fill you up for longer. I usually get hungry again soon if I ONLY eat soup, but if I eat it with some chicken or a sandwich or something, I feel full much longer.

I usually try to have a drink with every snack. I'll admit that I drink diet soda, which some people can't drink because they crave sugary foods afterwards. The carbonation in the soda helps trick my body into being full. I actually am the opposite and won't want sweets afterwards. I have to try to eat more fruits to help keep my blood sugar up. I keep hard candies at my desk in case I feel like my blood sugar is dipping too much or I get a small sweet snack.

Lastly, chew some really good gum! I always buy sugar free because I chew it so often and don't want to mess up my teeth. I buy different flavors and try to chew it in between meals. If I am enjoying the gum, I won't be thinking about food as much. In fact, it helps my cravings since the flavor of the gum is very good. I like different fruit ones but usually have mint. I just like the freshness from chewing fum. I've heard many people who quit smoking that like to chew gum to keep their mouths busy instead of snacking. Give it a try!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Grace-

I AM a classic hypogycemic too! I was even that way as a child and feel shakey if I have too much carb/not enough protein. As a preteen I remember changing my breakfast, myself, to 2 eggs/glass lowfat milk (no bread/toast) and I did much better and could make it to lunch.

Now I like peanut butter/almond butter on 1 slice whole wheat toast or on 6 saltines with soy milk. Or sometimes 1 egg and 2 whites with 1 slice toast.

I do better in the afternoon, but in the morning I really need to load up on protein. I say for hypoglycemics, eat your dinner (supper) for breakfast (low fat meat/fish/eggs/whites etc.)

Leea

Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
    graces23
    (female)

graces23 HB User

Hmm, very interesting.

What I do find is that I tend to eat my breakfast for dinner. I always crave cereal, toast and a milk protein drink at night. Weird. lol

Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by graceslick23 View Post
    Thank you! You know, it's a bit weird, but even as I read those suggestions you had for my breakfast, I felt I just knew they would fill me up more than other things...I agree with you - I am prone to mild hypoglycemia.
    Perhaps you can try to ensure that when you eat carbohydrates, that they are either slow digesting carbohydrates (e.g. oatmeal, beans, lentils), or that they are eaten in combination with foods with substantial fiber, water, protein, and (unsaturated) fat, in order to slow digestion.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
    Ucare
    (female)

Ucare HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by graceslick23 View Post
    Ever since I quit smoking almost 4 years ago, my appetite has been quite high.
    This isnít really my issue. My main thing is I am just hungry so frequently, despite what I eat. I try to eat filling things like protein (tofu, legumes, chicken, etc), dairy and fibre (cereal, low fat milk based drinks, yoghurt) and such, but it doesnít seem to make me very full.
    Somking damages certain things & your body doesn't just "click back" after giving up smoking.
    I suggest you go out and get some tablets with minerals as well as vitamins in them (a multi tablet)
    often hunger cravings are caused through nature ergo our body is trying to tell us something.
    I therefore suggest you try first a course of about 3 months of multi mineral & vitamin tablets as well as checking in for bloods at your doctors

Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leea1206 View Post
    Grace-

I AM a classic hypogycemic too! I was even that way as a child and feel shakey if I have too much carb/not enough protein. As a preteen I remember changing my breakfast, myself, to 2 eggs/glass lowfat milk (no bread/toast) and I did much better and could make it to lunch.

Now I like peanut butter/almond butter on 1 slice whole wheat toast or on 6 saltines with soy milk. Or sometimes 1 egg and 2 whites with 1 slice toast.

I do better in the afternoon, but in the morning I really need to load up on protein. I say for hypoglycemics, eat your dinner (supper) for breakfast (low fat meat/fish/eggs/whites etc.)

Leea

Hmm, I wonder why I seem to be the opposite! I was always trying to lower my carbs in order to keep off weight and stay fit and never had any hypoglycemia symptoms until I started lowering my carbs. Now I have to make sure to eat enough of them or I feel so dizzy/drunkish. I sometimes have to eat sweet candies and seem to never feel shaky frrom them! I just seem to become more alert again. I have family members all with low blood glucose that can do the same. They can eat tons of sugar and have a normal blood sugar level. Just out of curiosity, why would this be different for some of us?

I also like to eat breakfast for dinner and vice versa! I guess I get bored with the typical expected meal, so I like to mix it up!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #15
    Benevolence
    (male)

Benevolence HB User

Have you tried carrots and celory sticks?

They're crunchy healthy things, eating alot of them is a diet technique based on the theory that part of your desire to eat food is just that you want something for your teeth to chew on.

I'm not fat but I know the feeling very well. Pretty much every time I go to the pantry or the fridge its not that I want something that tastes good, its cuz I want something to gnaw on.

Another idea is if you go out and spend money on food too much, try and take your money away from yourself :P
    Make all your money spendings answerable to someone so that they know in advance what you are going to spend money on. And you are not allowed to buy anything from a shop without them knowing.
    I'm not sure how feasible this is for an adult, one thing you might have to do is actually stop having money in your pocket. Only use eftpos cards. ^^
    Never get a <removed> credit card. Debt is not good!

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-26-2009 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Watch your language on the Boards.

Closed Thread