It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Subway: 9 grain bread

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Subway: 9 grain bread

Nine grains! And the bread is a golden brown. So it must be at least somewhat healthful. Wouldn't you assume that? After eating there a couple of times this year I began to doubt it.

I called the corporate office and was told that the first ingredient is: Enriched wheat flour (translation: white flour). High on the list is: corn syrup.
    That was second or 3rd. I couldn't hear the ingredients too well because the person on the other end was a low talker. So I thought I would go to their other source but I couldn't find where they give the ingredient list for the 9 grain bread.

The first ingredient could make up almost any percentage of the bread, couldn't it? 75%? 80%% 95%? I don't know. Do you? What if 95% of the bread is made up of enriched wheat flour and the remaining 5% is "other grains"? The general public must certainly be fooled by that because the assumption would likely be that "nine grains" comprise a substantial portion of the bread.

P.S. It's golden brown because of caramel coloring.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-07-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User
    Re: Subway: 9 grain bread

This actually doesn't surprise me at all. Unless it is stated in writing somewhere, that a bread is made from 100% whole grains, do NOT assume that it is anything BUT a highly-processed, brown-colored, white bread with very little whole grain in it at all. Don't get me wrong...I commend Subway for trying to change the reputation of "fast food" into something healthier. BUT...I still think I could make a far healthier sandwich at home, using 100% whole grain bread...for a LOT less than what it costs for a Subway sandwich.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

I agree with nscrbug that most "multigrain" or "wheat" breads are mostly refined wheat, rather than whole wheat or other whole grains, and that you have to look for the whole grains listed first on the ingredient list.

This type of thing is not unique to Subway.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

John41,

I was able to locate a list of the ingredients of Subway's 9-grain wheat bread. Since the list is in descending order of quantity (by weight?), this means that it's probably at least 90% white wheat flour, and all the other grains just happened to be passing the kitchens and they waved as they went by. By my count the number of grains (included more than once in various forms) is 9: (wheat, oat, rye, corn, rice, barley, flax, millet, sorghum).

Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, barley malt, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid),
    water,
    yeast,
    high fructose corn syrup,
    whole wheat flour,
    wheat gluten,

(contains 2% or less of the following
    oat fiber,
    soybean oil,
    salt,
    wheat bran,
    rolled wheat,
    rye nuggets,
    dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate),
    yeast nutrients (calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate),
    degermed yellow corn meal,
    rolled oats,
    rye flakes,
    caramel color,
    triticale flakes, --> (a cross between wheat and rye)
    parboiled brown rice,
    refinery syrup,
    honey,
    barley flakes,
    flaxseed,
    millet,
    sorghum flour

--Rheanna

Old 04-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User

Wow...HFCS earns the 4th spot on the ingredient list! Sad, but not surprising.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Thanks to everyone for all the good replies. Special thanks to rheanna for taking the time to type out all the ingredients. I had to call the corporate office again this morning to get specific instructions on how to find the ingredients. They don't make it easy by any means; I never would have found it without instructions. Don't they want people to find it? ;-)

Everyone must be wondering why I was fooled by the name "9 grain bread". Well, I wasn't really fooled....at least not completely. This is what happens when you make decisions on impulse. I received an unexpected call from a friend. We talked for a while. Then she says, "I'm hungry, how about you?" Yeah, I'm hungry too. Then we decide in a split second on where to eat. We get there and question of bread comes up. She says, "I like the nine grain bread; that's good bread". (Lol) I said, "that's not real whole grain bread!" But once you're there, and you're hungry, you eat it. And all the while she keeps saying how good the bread is. (Lol) (I finally see the humor in it now.)

Here's the kicker: She works in the field of health and has a master's degree. So I kind of let myself be fooled a little, although I did mention a few times that it wasn't real whole grain bread. She just wouldn't react to anything I said about it; it was as if I hadn't said anything because her mind was made up.

That's it for subs. No more subs for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy restaurant eating that doesn't cost a fortune?

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-07-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: word change

Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

The problem is, in the US, most people do not actually like whole grains, even if they have been told repeatedly that they are healthier than refined grains. So the market for "brown white bread", where people fool themselves into thinking that they are eating healthier, is larger than the market for real whole wheat bread.

It is rather annoying for people like you and me who actually prefer whole grains.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
    LakotaGirl21
    (female)

LakotaGirl21 HB User

Wait.. so there isn't any healthy "whole wheat" bread at Subway at all?? hmmm very interesting.

Closed Thread