It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Is milk appropriate for adults?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
    nscrbug
    Veteran
    (female)

nscrbug HB User
    Is milk appropriate for adults?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
    3. Substitute a homemade dessert for the milk at dinner. In many cases, milk is not a food suitable for adults.
    Why do SO many people give milk such a bad rap??? Really...what is it about milk (the low or fat-free variety) that renders it "unsuitable" for adults? Unless you have a lactose-intolerance issue or follow a strict vegan diet, I see absolutely nothing wrong with drinking milk. It's loaded with protein, and fortified with many essential vitamins (especially Vit. D) and minerals. I've been drinking milk since I was baby, so that makes it 43 years for me...and I haven't grown a third eye...I guess I just don't get why people are so opposed to drinking milk. As for me...I'll keep drinking it...probably until the day I die.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-20-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
    pendulum
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
    Re: Is milk appropriate for adults?

Hi

I was smiling at your mentioning the third eye.

Anyway, I said "many" cases rather than all cases.

It is not only about lactose, it is also about milk protein, casein. It is not only its quality (for the calf), but also its quantity (milk is too rich in proteins).

You are lucky to be able to drink milk and not suffer from any problem. However, beware of hip problems after your 50th birthday.

I wish you a long life, anyway.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-20-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: changed title of post

Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

This puzzles me as well! I always hear how important it is to get plenty of calcium (often via milk) as you get older to keep your bones strong. My great grandmother (who is sitll alive) has osteoporosis. I don't think it's too severe, but it's still enough to make me want to prevent it in my future. I drink lactose-free milk (and fat free) for my sensitive stomach. I also like to eat yogurt. For those who recommend NOT having milk, what do you recommend for getting calcium? Just curious. I used to take a calcium supplement but always heard through my doctor it was best to eat/drink a healthy diet instead.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Among some ethnic groups, 75%-90% of adults are lactose intolerant, and it might be that some people don't realize it, and are experiencing stomach problems they can't explain.

Whole milk is very high in saturated fat, much more than most adults need on a regular basis, so keep it to skim or lowfat except for toddlers.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any reason not to drink milk. I've heard various reasons from various people, none of them make any actual sense to me.

If you can't or don't like to, of course, dark green veggies are the other best source of calcium in the diet.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

I do not recommend against milk, but for what it is worth, non-dairy sources of calcium include some green vegetables like kale, taro leaves, beet greens, Chinese broccoli, dandelion greens, okra, and broccoli. Also, tofu made with calcium sulfate.

But note that avoiding osteoporosis involves more than just calcium. Vitamin D and weight bearing exercise are also important.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-21-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: remove the quote

Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pendulum View Post
    Hi

It is not only about lactose, it is also about milk protein, casein. .
    Exactly. I can't drink milk or have any other dairy (except a little bit of cheese, interestingly) because of a casein intolerance. It does some nasty things to my stomach, let me tell you!

I substitute it with enriched almond milk in cereal and I like to drink the cartons of chocolate or strawberry enriched soy milk.

It really sucks though because while I never did like drinking white milk I love chocolate milk and I love cream sauces and chowders that have a milk base

Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
    pendulum
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by catheryn View Post
    Exactly. I can't drink milk or have any other dairy (except a little bit of cheese, interestingly) because of a casein intolerance. It does some nasty things to my stomach, let me tell you!

I substitute it with enriched almond milk in cereal and I like to drink the cartons of chocolate or strawberry enriched soy milk.

It really sucks though because while I never did like drinking white milk I love chocolate milk and I love cream sauces and chowders that have a milk base
    Yet, there's another "danger" about milk. A researcher from CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique) in France has discovered a factor in cow's milk (it's called parathyroide related peptide) that activates the so-called osteoclasts, that is, cells destroying bone tissue. According to this author (Evelyne Lopez), the more milk and dairy you drink and eat, the weaker your bones become. I am just reporting this. I am not a researcher myself.

Closed Thread