It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• I want to avoid developing a soy allergy...what should I do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
    EseStud
    (male)

EseStud HB User
    I want to avoid developing a soy allergy...what should I do?

I am a vegan, and as many of you already know, soy is extremely common in the diet if you're finding meat or dairy substitutes. I have never had any food allergies in my life, but I heard that you can put yourself at risk of developing a soy allergy if you consume it everyday, or follow a soy based diet. The question is, how much is too much? I don't just eat soy, I eat black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, adzuki beans, and a variety of nuts. But I do have cereal with soymilk in the morning everyday on weekdays. On Mondays and Tuesdays, I have soymilk in the morning, Tofurky deli sandwiches for lunch, and a soy protein shake after my workout in the afternoon. Is that too much in one day? Please advise me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
    pendulum
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

pendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB Userpendulum HB User
    Re: I want to avoid developing a soy allergy...what should I do?

Hmm, maybe you could try and use more rice or almond milk, instead.

If you have Oriental ancestry, soy may not be a big issue for you, though.

How long have you been on this vegan diet?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
    EseStud
    (male)

EseStud HB User

I'm not Oriental, I'm actually a full-blooded Indian. I've been a vegan for almost 2 years now, and I feel perfectly fine. Actually, I feel arrogant and stuck up because I feel like I'm healthier than the carnivores.

But yes, I actually managed to get a brown rice protein powder from Whole Foods, and I'll see how well it works. Problem is, the powder only contaings 15 grams of protein and soy powder has 25 grams. Rice milk only has 1g and soy milk has 6g. It seems as if soy is the only reliable source of protein in milk substitutes and shakes. But back to my original question, how much is too much?

Last edited by EseStud; 04-29-2009 at 01:44 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

If you are concerned, why not increase consumption of other beans, lentils, and nuts, which may be found in Indian vegetarian recipes that you may be familiar with?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
    EseStud
    (male)

EseStud HB User

I already am consuming protein from other sources. But that's not my concern, it is regarding the problem with soy. I do not want to eliminate soy from my diet, I just want to know what the safe and healthy limit is, in terms of servings per day.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I have a lot of food allergies, among other types of allergies, and also have Asthma. I've been eating soy several times per day, over the past few years, without becoming allergic to soy.

I don't know if someone else would be effected otherwise.

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
    Drain Bamaged
    (female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EseStud View Post
    I am a vegan, and as many of you already know, soy is extremely common in the diet if you're finding meat or dairy substitutes. I have never had any food allergies in my life, but I heard that you can put yourself at risk of developing a soy allergy if you consume it everyday, or follow a soy based diet. The question is, how much is too much? I don't just eat soy, I eat black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, adzuki beans, and a variety of nuts. But I do have cereal with soymilk in the morning everyday on weekdays. On Mondays and Tuesdays, I have soymilk in the morning, Tofurky deli sandwiches for lunch, and a soy protein shake after my workout in the afternoon. Is that too much in one day? Please advise me!

Hi EseStud ~

I understand your concern and I am learning along with you on this " Q " .
    I mainly highlighted what was of interest to me. The " I heard " part. Can you go to the source you heard this from and find out where this info. originated from ? of course getting it validated.

With your answers given throughout this thread. You present your Culinary intake & balance, as well rounded. Like mentioned earlier I'm learning along with you.

Best Regards ~ ~ DB

Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User

Everyone's potential allergic reaction is different. Nobody could state a level of soy intake that would guarantee that you or anybody else would not develop an allergy.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
    bail2592
    (female)

bail2592 HB User

I don't know about how much soy would cause an allergy. I had to have my gallbladder out two years ago. The pain and nausea that I attributed to that never went away. It took me TWO years to figure out that I had a soy intolerance/allergy. (I have not been tested so I'm not sure if it is an allergy - could just be an intolerance) (I figured this out because every time I would drink coffee mate creamer I'd throw up, if I drank international delight, I'd be fine - that is how I figured out it was the soy in the coffee mate making me sick as when I compared the ingredients the only difference was the type of oil they use)

My recommendation (being the carnivore that I am ) would be to avoid at all costs all of genetically modified soys. Everyone keeps telling me how healthy soy is. From what I've read GM Soy is pretty bad for you vs. the non gm soy. I believe tofu would be a non gm soy? Not sure at all about that. Bon Appetit magazine had an article about soy in it about two or three years ago, and they did not recommend it. It can be impossible to avoid genetically modified soy though as Soy Lecithin is genetically modified. There is a loop hole in the law that allows companies to package items containing this as organic because when the law was made there was not a substitute for it. There is a substitute out now however, Sunflower Lecithin, which does the same thing as Soy Lecithin, (it's an emulsifier) and the sunflower lecithin is not genetically modified at least according to the research I've done on it. I am by no means a nutritionist, and this is all from research I've done on the web and my personal experience (it's been horrible as no doctor was able to help me out with this, I had to figure it out on my own) but I've found anything with soybean oil, soybean protein, soybean lecithin, causes me extreme abdominal pain, diarrhea and nausea. So I just try to avoid all forms of soy. I did find Peanut Butter and Company has a wide variety of peanut butters out that use the sunflower lecithin. I'm not sure they are vegan though. They might be. But I firmly believe soy is not as healthy as it is made out to be. It is subsidized by the government and there are soy lobbyists that work to make American's think soy is much healthier than other forms of protein. I know you state that you feel you are healthier than us carnivores, but I firmly believe that natural foods eaten in moderation will make anyone healthy. By natural foods I mean any food that does not have fifteen extra ingredients in it to preserve it. Fruit, vegetables, meats, butter, olive oil, etc., .For example, Sour cream scares me. Have you read the labels?? Daisy is the only brand I've found that doesn't add ten extra ingredients to it. It's insane all the garbage they put in foods now to preserve them. Locust Bean Gum?? Why do I need this in my sour cream? (That drives me nuts that they add all those extra things into it)

Kristin

Closed Thread