It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Foods for Bloating Relief

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
    xvxtomboyxvx
    (female)

xvxtomboyxvx HB User
    Foods for Bloating Relief

I have a big event on Saturday. Yesterday, I overate and now I'm swelled up like a balloon. I ate so much that I'm not even hungry today, I haven't eaten anything yet. I'm not asking for long-term relief tips here, or asking what caused this. I am fully aware of the fact that overeating was the cause. I don't normally overeat, I usually stay to a very healthy diet. However, I do want to know what I should do in the upcoming days to make sure my stomach will look thin and unbloated again on Saturday. Should I fast? Should I eat high-fiber foods? Should I drink tons and tons of water and eat nothing? Every time I search the internet, I get conflicting ideas on which foods to eat. Some say that high-fiber foods will make me bloat, some say that those same high-fiber foods will relieve my bloating issue. I don't know who to listen to. Does anyone have a straight answer? If you could be as specific as you can as to what I should eat and do in these upcoming days, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Foods for Bloating Relief

tomboy,

You said you ate too much one day and you were not hungry the next day. You said, "I haven't eaten anything yet." Well, in my opinion, your body was telling you not to eat and you were paying attention. So you were doing the right thing. You can compensate by eating less before a big meal or after. There's nothing wrong with doing that if you need to. By all means, make sure you drink enough water; drinking water won't make you fat. Here's another idea: Get some exercise. Exercise will help you burn the excess calories.

As far as what foods you should or shouldn't eat: Stay away from high calorie processed foods and fatty processed meats. Eat whole foods like fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes. Natural whole foods are high in fiber and will help you get back to normal.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-31-2009 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added a paragraph at the end.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
    Miranda72
    (female)

Miranda72 HB User

I have the same problem, except I get that feeling more frequently it sounds like. I was told high fiber too, it makes sense I guess when you think about it. <removed>

Did you find info that said fiber will make you worse?

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-31-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Unfortunately there is no easy answer, because it really does depend on your own body and how it reacts.

If you are absolutely not hungry, you don't need to force yourself to eat. When you do eat, try eating something light, like some fruits or vegetables. You will get some fiber from these without feeling bulky from eating a lot. I would stay away from too many starchy carbs right now until the bloating goes down. I like to munch on berries or grape tomatoes if I want some really light foods that aren't going to bloat me up. Certain high-fiber foods really bother my stomach, but fruits are a good fiber source for me!

Try drinking some water with lemon or some green tea. These items can really help get rid of bloating and excess water weight. Stay well hydrated and try to be a bit active so the food isn't just sitting in your stomach.

Hope you feel better soon! I also like to exercise if I'm feeling bloated. Just keep it easy if you feel very full so you don't get nauseous. Exercise helps with my bloating if I overeat (once my stomach is settled enough) and I always drink a lot of water.

Closed Thread