It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Need to Consume 1600 calories w'out Grains & Processed/Refined Foods

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
    dietsdontwork
    (female)

dietsdontwork HB User
    Question Need to Consume 1600 calories w'out Grains & Processed/Refined Foods

Hi Everyone

I am a 30yr old female, 5'4, approx 115-120lbs (the most I've ever weighed). I want to maintain my weight. I need to consume at least 1600 cal daily to do so. If I exercise I may do light cardio/sculpting with dumbbells once a week for about 1-2hrs.

I work in an office so I'm sitting majority of the day. I have a 15min walk in the mornings and evenings commuting to work. I've always been slim with a fast metabolism.

I recently (within the last month) decided to change my eating habits so that I can improve my overall health as well as my skin.

I didn't know that I would lose weight in the process!! I haven't lost a lot...because I've had a few cheat days thrown in there where I ate junk food & fast food...so I haven't officially started the "New Diet" yet. I'm really serious about making the change but I'm getting discouraged because I want to remain at my normal weight....I don't want to appear and/or be unhealthy.

Right now I'm sort of following the Paleo diet....basically I am eliminating refined/processed foods, sugar (except for raw honey & coconut sap), dairy (except goat milk yogurt w'probiotics), soy, nuts, beans/legumes and grains.

I'm not sure what's causing my breakouts so I won't to eliminate alot in the first 3-6 months then perhaps reintroduce nuts & feta cheese after my trial basis... everything else is permanently eliminated.

I want to be able to intake my 1600 calories in a healthy way.

A typical day for me right now (I have yet to perfect this new way of eating):

Breakfast:

mixed greens, strawberries, pickle, raspberry vinegarette dressing
    green tea w'tsp of raw honey or coconut sap

Snack:

2 granny smith apples, 2 tbps of sunflower seed butter

1/2 cup of goat milk yogurt mixed with 1tbsp EFA (vegetarian formula), 1tsp Cod Liver oil, 1tbsp of Ground Flax meal, & 3/4tbsp of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Lunch:

meat with veggies

Dinner:

Big Salad with a lot of veggies, red wine vinegarette dressing

I know that I need to add more things to my diet daily to get the calories.

Before I changed my diet I didn't necessarily eat alot of food I just ate a lot of the wrong foods. I gorged on french fries, candy, baked goods, & pasta (the vegetable pasta).

Can someone please give me some suggestions of what I can eat to gain back the calories without all the bad stuff?!!

Thanks in advance for your response!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Need to Consume 1600 calories w'out Grains & Processed/Refined Foods

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dietsdontwork View Post

I didn't know that I would lose weight in the process!! .......Right now I'm sort of following the Paleo diet....basically I am eliminating refined/processed foods, sugar (except for raw honey & coconut sap), dairy (except goat milk yogurt w'probiotics), soy, nuts, beans/legumes and grains.
    I have the book, "The Paleo Diet". I tried to follow it and the same thing happend to me. I lost a lot of weight that I couldn't afford to lose. Actually, I felt good but didn't want everyone thinking I was sick. So I began adding more olive oil to my soups and salads. Then I changed to, "Eat Right 4 Your Type". Then I modified the blood type diet by going vegan.

Quote:
    Breakfast: mixed greens, strawberries, pickle, raspberry vinegarette dressing
    green tea w'tsp of raw honey or coconut sap
    I would eliminate the pickle, raspberry vinegarette dressing, raw honey and coconut sap and use olive oil with fresh squeezed lemon as a dressing. For more calories, use more olive oil.

Quote:
    Snack:2 granny smith apples, 2 tbps of sunflower seed butter

1/2 cup of goat milk yogurt mixed with 1tbsp EFA (vegetarian formula), 1tsp Cod Liver oil, 1tbsp of Ground Flax meal, & 3/4tbsp of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    With all the butters, oils and seeds above, I don't understand why you would be losing weight. Unless you are spoiling your appetite for lunch. Note: one small apple equals one serving.

Quote:
    Lunch: meat with veggies
    What portion sizes and what kind of dressing?

Quote:
    Dinner:Big Salad with a lot of veggies, red wine vinegarette dressing
    I would eliminate the vinegarette dressing and use olive oil and lemon juice instead. If you are going to practice the Paleo Diet, where's the meat?

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-08-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: To fix quote

Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
    dietsdontwork
    (female)

dietsdontwork HB User

thanks for responding

i haven't fully gone 100% Paleo....I don't normally eat a lot anyway, how often i eat has not changed since I decided to eat healthier. I am still trying to find something that is going to work for me. my main goal for changing my diet was to clear my skin...I'm really tempting to just deal with my minor skin problems and go back to the way i was eating before or at least incorporating more carbs because now losing weight is something that i'm concerned with...more like stressed over which is not good for my weight nor my face ha!!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
    anonnymouse
    (female)

anonnymouse HB Useranonnymouse HB User

So, are you totally Paleo or just don't want processed foods?

You need:

To eat a packet of unsalted raw nuts after every meal.
    Add avocado and coconut milk to every meal.
    To learn to cook whole-grain spaghetti (organic whole-wheat spaghetti is widely available).
    To open yourself to the idea of dairy provided you are lactose tolerant. Butter. Mmmmmm...

I eat 2,000 calories to maintain my weight and I'm 5'5" and 111 lbs. Sports are chasing kids and yoga. I need dairy because I can't afford to eat enough nuts and high-fat vegetables. Probably 30 - 40% of my calories are fat.

Neosporin cleared up my skin (I pasted it all over for a few weeks) and now I'm using it as a spot treatment. My skin is clear on a vegetarian diet BUT I am also anemic on a veg diet! We eat 100% organic meat and dairy so it's not that... I just think it's a bacteria that my ancestors did not face and which happens to live on the face of my skin type.

Good luck. It is hard to eat 100% healthy and maintain a good weight!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
    anonnymouse
    (female)

anonnymouse HB Useranonnymouse HB User

I didn't see your follow up post.

Why no nuts? Our paleolithic ancestors did not eat nuts?!?!? Olives are a nut, coconuts are a nut, ALL of our oils come from nuts and seeds, except lard, tallow and butter... okay well I won't bash the paleo diet because I don't care less what other people eat *but* I just do not see how walnuts and almonds could be unhealthy or not eaten by people thousands of years ago. I mean you can literally eat almonds' sisters grown in the wild in certain apricot and peach relatives...

I don't know about paleo but I personally could not survive without nuts.

I wish you luck. Bad skin sucks! I hate it.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonnymouse View Post
    Olives are a nut........
    Doctor Sears, of the Zone diet books, says that olives are fruit and that's what makes olive oil so healthful. Extra virgin olive oil is rich in antioxidants.

Quote:
    I don't know about paleo but I personally could not survive without nuts.
    That's why I switched to the blood type diet. Depending on your blood type, the author allows you to eat certain nuts, grains, meats, fruits and vegetables etc.. He claims that when a certain blood sample (***) is combined (under a microscope) with the lectins of certain foods, clumping can be observed. Clumping, according to him, indicates that these foods are incompatable with the particular blood type that was tested. This is because blood will clump as it attacks something it sees as a foreign invader. He claims he has performed all the necessary tests and therefore can provide lists of compatible foods for each blood type.

However, the diet is said to be unscientific, in reports by other doctors, and I really need to finish reading some of these reports. Sadly, I neglected to finish reading the reports that I've had for several weeks.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-09-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: sentence structure and word change

Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dietsdontwork View Post
    I'm really tempting to just deal with my minor skin problems and go back to the way i was eating before or at least incorporating more carbs because now losing weight is something that i'm concerned with...more like stressed over which is not good for my weight nor my face ha!!!!
    Another thing I do, to help maintain my weight, is to eat Ezekiel (flourless) bread that's made from sprouts. You might try doing the same and see how it works out. It would add some healthy carbs to your diet, in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
    dietsdontwork
    (female)

dietsdontwork HB User

thanks for your responses....I'm really just coming up with my own "diet". I'm eliminating grains, nuts, soy, dairy, & processed/refined foods.

I've found great alternatives for some of the things that I crave like instead of white potatoes for french fries I could use sweet potatoes...instead of white rice I can use cauliflower...instead of potato chips I eat veggie chips, etc

I think in July I will start the new way of eating 100%....right now I'm still trying to come up with mainly fast "snack" food that falls within my parameters....because I'm def. a snacker..

Old 06-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #9
    Iron76
    (male)

Iron76 HB User

I follow a 100% PALEO lifestyle with my nutrition. Look into it; please contact me if you would like some help. (No spam/advertisement here)

Fire / Medic

Living without additives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Closed Thread