It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• 18 Year old's Diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
    Ferrum24
    (male)

Ferrum24 HB User
    18 Year old's Diet

Hi, I am an 18 year old male and I would describe myself as a "chronic picky eater". For some reason most meats, fish and hot foods cause me to gag due to their taste, texture or smell. (Over the years i have expanded to more junky meats like fried chicken, hot dogs, bacon and calamari) but try to stay away).
    But that is not what my question concerns. I am questioning my nutrition because I just started getting serious about my health (dropping soda, junk food, limiting my grazing) and starting to exercise

Here is an overview of a (now) normal day for me;

Calories: 2500-3000 (1000 from fat)
    Fat: 100g (50 Sat)
    Sodium: 2000mg
    Carbs: 350g
    Sugars: 200g
    Protein: 100g

This consists of Cereal (2 servings), Milk (4 servings) with one using protein powder, a PBJ sandwich, Various healthy snacks (fruit, nuts, wheat thins, power bars, atkin bars), V8 Juice, Water, and the occasional hot dog or chicken tenders with french fries.

I am 5'10", weigh around 150lbs (according to our physical scale) and exercise 6 days a week (running about 4-5 for 30min and walking otherwise) and have been doing this for 8 days now.

Is this a healthy lifestyle? What can I do to improve/ cutback on to improve it? The specifics of my food are more of a physiological issue which is improving with time, its the nutrition I care about. Does my diet consist of too many processed foods? If so what harmful effects can this have?

Thank you for any feedback I really appreciate it (:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: 18 Year old's Diet

Quote:
    Does my diet consist of too many processed foods? If so what harmful effects can this have?
    Processed Grains: Generally, the less processed foods you eat, the better off you will be from a health standpoint. The harmful effects usually derive from inflammation. Baked goods, because they contain flour and sugar etc., can cause inflammation in your body. And inflammation in your arteries, for example, is the cause of heart disease.

Oils: Stay away from corn oil or any oil high in Omega 6. Olive oil is the best, in my opinion. I use it all the time, but never in large amounts.

Animal protein: Any grain-fed animal protein will usually be high in Omega 6 and that can also cause inflammation. That includes grain-fed (farm raised) fish.

And the harmful effects include more than heart trouble. The harmful effects include cancer, diabetes, arthritis and many other degenerative diseases.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-19-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I read "Inflammation-Free Diet Plan" by Monica Reinagel. It has 1,500 foods rated best & worst for inflammation. You might like this book.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-19-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
    MrAK
    Inactive
    (male)

MrAK HB UserMrAK HB User

Bro,

Was 170lbs and am 5'7 pounds. Got a juicer and did fruits and veg's only for 3 months and worked out 5 days a week. Got to 120lbs and ripped. But I honestly think that refined carbs are the worst thing for you and like the previous user said oils. I would only do coconut oil and if you can find it REAL cold pressed olive oil (if it's not from greece it's not real)

Last edited by Administrator; 05-19-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
    easygoingguy
    (male)

easygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB Usereasygoingguy HB User

"the occasional hot dog"

must avoid asap, unless you get them from health food store without the nitrates, and they still may have too much sodium.

Cereal: poor nutrition, at least use one of the cereals with extra vitamins added, like Total

Milk: Mayo Clinic says avoid whole milk for a healthy heart. I switched to Flaxmilk, which has omega 3's, and no cholesterol.

fruit, nuts: excellent

wheat thins: no nutritional value

power bars: not much nutritional value

V8 Juice: way too much sodium! (Sodium 420 mg 18 % per 8 ozs), and after processing I'm sure lots of vitamins are lost. Make your own smoothies at home with fresh fruits/veggies would be way more nutritious.

Water: excellent

chicken tenders with french fries: junk food, fried ruins any nutritional value of lean meat and potatoes.

I'd say your a typical mix of good and bad foods, and a lot of people think they are eating 'healthy' when they really are not. No leafy greens like spinach or kale? Those are super foods. look up their nutritional value and prepare to be shocked.

Closed Thread