It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• I can hardly eat anything without feeling sick later

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
    Sage 43
    (female)

Sage 43 HB User
    I can hardly eat anything without feeling sick later

Here's my story. For the past few months, and off and on before then, my body can't seem to tolerate as wide a variety of food as before.

Let me give an example. Yesterday I had some leftover Chinese noodles for lunch. I know, not the best, but not the worst thing you can eat, either. It's not like they were a month old or anything. My digestive system responded to them by developing constipation, an uncomfortably "full" feeling, gurgling loudly and frequently, and keeping me very aware of every single motion made by and within my body in order to process them. I could hardly eat anything at all the rest of the day since it killed my appetite.

Late last night, I had some mochi ice cream balls. Like I said, I had no appetite, but I had eaten so little outside of the noodles that my stomach was growling, and I wanted something I could eat quickly. They went down easily enough, but when I woke up this morning, I thought I was seriously sick. My heart and chest felt strange, my appetite was even more dead than it was yesterday, my stomach felt sick and heavy, and I really had to force myself to down some crumpets and orange juice. And of course as soon as they hit my stomach, it started rebelling and making noise and feeling like a giant bag full of something stiff and heavy. Again I can trace the path the food makes through my body by the noise and sites of pressure it makes along the way. I feel so bad that I'm dreading having to go to school and take a test today, partially because I just feel so sick - not in a nauseated way, but in an uncomfortable way - and partially because I know in the silence of the testing room my body is going to be keeping all the other students up to date on what's going on inside it by way of gurgles and ripples.

Okay, so I might not be able to eat Chinese noodles or mochi ice cream balls anymore. Whatever. But this is happening with the slightest provocation, like a salad with a little dressing on it, or saltine crackers with salmon, or a glass of orange juice. Not heavy, unhealthy foods, so why is my body freaking out at any and all foods that go into it? I don't want to have to live off of lettuce the rest of my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
    Savannah1992
    (female)

Savannah1992 HB User
    Re: I can hardly eat anything without feeling sick later

Hi Sage,

Sorry to hear what you're going through.
    I'm no doctor, but by the sounds of it, you may have mild gastritis. No, you're right, you certainly don't have the worst diet in the world by any means, and obviously you're allowed to enjoy ice cream etc, however, maybe you've been eating too much acidic & rich food recently? Maybe stick to bland foods (boring, I know) just while your stomach heals itself. You're symptoms should start to go as soon as you start eating more alkaline foods, and after a short time you should be able to start introducing these foods back into your diet again & go back to normal. Orange juice is 'good' for you, but maybe a bit too harsh on your stomach right now? Maybe try ginger tea when you feel slightly nauseas.

Regarding the pain in your chest, if it continues I'd definitely see a doctor, however, it may also be indigestion/heartburn (a symptom of gastritis). You wont have to eat lettuce all your life I'm sure. Good luck in your test.

kindest regards,
    Savannah

Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Take DOMPERIDONE 20 mins before eating,
    it worked for me, good luck,

Solofelix.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
    jonas123
    (male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sage 43 View Post
    Here's my story. For the past few months, and off and on before then, my body can't seem to tolerate as wide a variety of food as before.

Let me give an example. Yesterday I had some leftover Chinese noodles for lunch. I know, not the best, but not the worst thing you can eat, either. It's not like they were a month old or anything. My digestive system responded to them by developing constipation, an uncomfortably "full" feeling, gurgling loudly and frequently, and keeping me very aware of every single motion made by and within my body in order to process them. I could hardly eat anything at all the rest of the day since it killed my appetite.

Late last night, I had some mochi ice cream balls. Like I said, I had no appetite, but I had eaten so little outside of the noodles that my stomach was growling, and I wanted something I could eat quickly. They went down easily enough, but when I woke up this morning, I thought I was seriously sick. My heart and chest felt strange, my appetite was even more dead than it was yesterday, my stomach felt sick and heavy, and I really had to force myself to down some crumpets and orange juice. And of course as soon as they hit my stomach, it started rebelling and making noise and feeling like a giant bag full of something stiff and heavy. Again I can trace the path the food makes through my body by the noise and sites of pressure it makes along the way. I feel so bad that I'm dreading having to go to school and take a test today, partially because I just feel so sick - not in a nauseated way, but in an uncomfortable way - and partially because I know in the silence of the testing room my body is going to be keeping all the other students up to date on what's going on inside it by way of gurgles and ripples.

Okay, so I might not be able to eat Chinese noodles or mochi ice cream balls anymore. Whatever. But this is happening with the slightest provocation, like a salad with a little dressing on it, or saltine crackers with salmon, or a glass of orange juice. Not heavy, unhealthy foods, so why is my body freaking out at any and all foods that go into it? I don't want to have to live off of lettuce the rest of my life.
    I used to feel similar to what you are describing. I remember I would be extremely hyper-aware of every food that I would put into my body. For example, I remember every time I would consume something - other than oxygen and water - I would be extremely aware of the effect the food was having on my body. For instance: raw oat bran with water. Every time I would consume raw oat bran with water, I would feel "sick". In other words, I would notice how long the oat bran was sitting in my stomach, and mentally taking notice on how long it took for my body to metabolize it. Raw vegetables take far less time to metabolize than oat bran; hence the reason why vegetables are lauded for their weight-loss properties. I would call this 'hyper-awareness' a tacitly intrapersonally communicated and extreme version of biofeedback.

There is a relatively new 'eating disorder' called Orthorexia. It is basically an obsession with eating, and drinking, healthfully. I guess one could say that back when I was eating a 100% healthy raw vegan diet, I did have a form of Orthorexia. Now I just pretty much have a preoccupation with fasting and eating healthy, although not acting on it. I do think a lot about it though.

Closed Thread