It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• ALDH2 Enzyme

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
    sugzey
    (female)

sugzey HB User
    ALDH2 Enzyme

Anyone familiar with the ALDH2 Enzyme which has something to do with the metabolism of acetaldehyde to acetate? Has anyone been told that they are deficient in this enzyme? Would an endocrinologist be the correct person to talk to about enzymes? Didn't know where to post this thread. Hope I am on the correct board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
    davitude
    (male)

davitude HB User
    Re: ALDH2 Enzyme

An endocrinologist could probably help you understand what your exact situation is.

I would guess the "deficiency" is due to having a ALDH2 receptor sub type that just doesn't work very well.

The gene is associated mainly with alcohol metabolism. The way alcohol is metabolized, it is converted from alcohol to acetaldehyde, then from acetaldehyde to acetic acid (same acid as in vinegar) and is eliminated in the urine.

People with a low-functioning ALDH2 gene don't perform the last step well, and as a result they get nasty side effects from drinking like nausea, headaches and dizziness, due to the early buildup of acetaldehyde. As a result, they don't like to drink, or at least not very much. Does this sound like you?

There is a common low functioning ALDH2 variation in the Asian population, so if you happen to be Asian this might be your variant. In which case, you could probably get some good experience-based advice from a doctor that serves an asian community in your area.

Also of note, people with a poor functioning ALDH2 gene are more susceptible to damage from drinking so it's probably a safe bet that you should limit or eliminate your alcohol intake.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
    sugzey
    (female)

sugzey HB User
    Re: ALDH2 Enzyme

Thanks for your reply. I am caucasian and I read that the problem is mostly in asian people. I have never been a heavy drinker but the few times I have had a drink of any kind of alcohol my face would get extremely red and feel real hot. I thought it was strange that no one else would complain that it would keep them awake at night instead it would make them sleep. It made my heart beat faster and keep me awake after a couple of hours of sleep. Anyway, the reason I was researching this enzyme problem is because I started getting some strange looking little places on my neck under the chin area and I couldn't figure out what was causing them and the dermatologist didn't know what they were. I have determined on my own that it was probably the drooling going on at night after I had put a listerine strip in my mouth before going to bed. I assume it has a small amount of alcohol in it and it was converted to acetaldehyde and the acetaldehyde was in the drool that went under my chin. Why put a listerine strip in my mouth at night? I just thought it would make my mouth taste good and didn't know there was any harm in it. I don't do that anymore and haven't seen any more weird spots under my chin. I would like to know more about acetaldehyde. I did read somewhere that among other things bad that it can do it can also affect the skin but it didn't say in what way. Thanks again for your reply.

Closed Thread