It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• is No Salt no Sugar in daily diet harmful?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
    mits
    (female)

mits HB User
    is No Salt no Sugar in daily diet harmful?

Doc Team,

I am having acne from last 16 years. I have tried lots of antibiotics on recommendation of dermatologists. But always it gives temporary solution. Recently i came sample diet. Which claims to clear the acne from root. I decided to give it a shot. Diet consists of no salt, no sugar and no cooked food.

I am on fruits like avacado, cucmber, lettuce, tomato,banana,oranges,apple,papaya,water melon and olive oil from last one month.

The diet is very strict and comprises of this food. It also consists of raw consumption of egg and fish. But am vegan and cannot have raw egg and fish. So that is eliminated from my diet.

Can you please tell me is it harmful to body not to have Salt and sugar at all.

Does above mentioned fruits give the required elements to body. Can i continue with this diet further more till my acne is healed?

Please guide

Last edited by moderator2; 05-27-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: is No Salt no Sugar in daily diet harmful?

Hi, there is naturally occuring salt and sugar in most fruits and vegetables so you need not worry about it. Sometimes persistent acne is caused by hormonal imbalance so it would be in your best interest to get your hormone levels checked out..

Old 05-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
    jaxton
    Inactive
    (female)

jaxton HB User

I agree. Acne is hormonal and easy to treat, but you may have to continue the treatment. See your doctor. Your diet has no protein and almost no fat and is not healthy. Eliminating refined sugar and most salt is probably good for you, but eliminating protein is terrible. Salt and sugar are not related to what causes acne.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
    babylegs1968
    (female)

babylegs1968 HB User

Himalayan salt is process free and you can use it in everything

Old 05-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
    jonas123
    (male)

jonas123 HB User

Do you consume any vegetables, such as green beans, squash, goliath spinach, etc.? If not, you should think about incorporating them into your diet. Also, potatoes are a good source of complex carbohydrates; you should think about adding them in as well. Avocados are good sources of essential omega-6 fatty acids, so you're good there. Are you allowed to eat legumes? They are excellent sources of protein. However, you may experience some gastric irritation from them. Also, if you are allergic or sensitive to soy, soybeans are out of the question.

As per your question, lenvegas is right about salt and sugar being present in most fruits and vegetables. However, the amount of sugar and salt will vary. For example, sweet fruits - like mangos - would obviously have a greater amount of naturally-occurring sugars in them than, say, rhubarb. But that does not mean that mangos should not be eaten at all; just in moderation.

Everything healthy in moderation is always good.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I too am concerned about the lack of protien in this diet. As a vegan you should know this is essential.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
    mits
    (female)

mits HB User

All,

Yes. me too was concerned. After lot of analysis starting eating egg yolk which has protein and B12 component which is not available from vegetables and fruits.

Best Regards

Old 06-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
    janis2
    (female)

janis2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by babylegs1968 View Post
    Himalayan salt is process free and you can use it in everything
    But it still has sodium in it right?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Regular processed salt is fortified with iodine because iodine is relatively difficult to find otherwise. If you lack iodine in your diet, it will most likely interfere with normal thyroid function, and you might develope various symptoms related to that.

If you don't want to use iodized salt, you might consider getting your iodine from a (kelp tablet) supplement, or at least a fraction of a tablet. Kelp is rich in iodine.

I'm a vegan who uses a small amount of non-iodized salt so I started taking a fraction of a (kelp) tablet. The next time I get a blood test I'll see if my thyroid function is in a more acceptable range. My TSH was a little high last time.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-30-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
    jonas123
    (male)

jonas123 HB User

I just looked at the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements web page and, I guess it turns out that, all seaweed in general are sources of Iodine. According to the NIH, the amount of Iodine in seaweed will vary. This is probably because of pollution, toxic chemicals, etc., in those regions where seaweed contains less Iodine. It said that 1g of seaweed will contain anywhere from 16mcg to 2981mcg of it. The latter is roughly 20 times the recommended dietary allotment for Iodine. I know this information is coming from the Office of Dietary Supplements, but I'm not sure if the NIH even has a nutrition sector. "Nutrition" referring to food; not supplements.

Last edited by jonas123; 06-30-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

You don't want to have too much iodine or too little. I'm taking 1/2 a tablet and it's a small amount just to see if it will help my TSH number. If you buy tablets in a health food store, it will tell you what the doseage is. I believe I bought 150 mcg. tablets, so 1/2 would give me 75 mcg. 150 mcg. is recommended for an adult male but I'm playing it safe because I don't know how much I'm getting from my diet. The amount needed could vary for each individual, that's why I recommed being tested.

Last edited by JohnR41; 07-03-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
    jonas123
    (male)

jonas123 HB User

I have heard that nutrient toxicity is much more prevalent when taking supplements that have been extracted from foods, and thus manipulated, than when one just eats healthy foods containing those nutrients. Keep in mind, there are nutrients in healthy foods that have not even been discovered yet. And even when all the nutrients have been confirmed, why not just eat the foods that contain them anyway? Otherwise it's just extracting all of the nutrients from healthy foods, and taking those. Think about it. If you're going to take pills containing every single nutrient from every single healthy food, why not just go to the source and eat those healthy foods instead? After all, supplements don't grow from the earth, but healthy foods do.

As for "too much Iodine or too little", doesn't it seem a little too much like micromanaging? Think about it. You would have to calculate exactly how much physical activity you do every day, and from that analysis, deduce exactly how much of a single nutrient you should take. And don't forget, some nutrients antagonize each other, so you would have to calculate exactly how much of each one of them to take at exactly the right time of day. And this is only when all of the nutrients have been confirmed by science. But, wait a minute - then it just goes back to what I said earlier: why not just go to the source instead and eat healthfully?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
    alison90
    Inactive
    (female)

alison90 HB User

Hello Jonas

I was on a salt-free diet for a while and I now regret it. I started to follow the advice of a naturopathic doctor who said that salt is necessary for digestion so I started eat salt. I also followed his diet and nutrition programme and now my health issues are 90% better.

Do you eat gluten? That might be contributing to the acne.

(I think being sugar-free is fine.)

Alison

Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
    jonas123
    (male)

jonas123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alison90 View Post
    Hello Jonas

I was on a salt-free diet for a while and I now regret it. I started to follow the advice of a naturopathic doctor who said that salt is necessary for digestion so I started eat salt. I also followed his diet and nutrition programme and now my health issues are 90% better.

Do you eat gluten? That might be contributing to the acne.

(I think being sugar-free is fine.)

Alison
    Me? The OP was asking about salt/gluten etc.

I was just simply agreeing with lenvegas about the fact that certain vegetables/fruits naturally contain small amounts of sodium and sugar.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mits View Post
    Doc Team,

Diet consists of no salt, no sugar and no cooked food.

I am on fruits like avacado, cucmber, lettuce, tomato,banana,oranges,apple,papaya,water melon and olive oil from last one month.

[I] am vegan.......

Can you please tell me is it harmful to body not to have Salt and sugar at all.

Does above mentioned fruits give the required elements to body. Can i continue with this diet further more till my acne is healed?

Please guide
    I can tell you from my own experience: Being that you are a vegan it's not likely that you will get enough iodine without iodized salt. None of the foods you mentioned above are a good source of iodine. Even after you go back to your regular diet, you may likely have a problem getting enough iodine. Check to see what foods are good sources.

Onions are supposed to be a good source of iodine but not if they are grown in soil that is lacking in iodine. What's left after onions? Not much.

Closed Thread