HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   I don't think my husband can eat much... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/982493-i-dont-think-my-husband-can-eat-much.html)

Angnix 05-31-2014 04:28 PM

I don't think my husband can eat much...

My husband's total diet is suppose to be:

Low fat(because of pancreatitis), Low Cholesterol(high cholesterol),Carbohydrate controlled(diabetes), Low Sodium (high blood pressure) and low potassium (kidney damage)

I can't quite figure out what he can eat exactly, the dietician just says combine the diets, but well... maybe some chicken breast on lettuce? I try to eat what he eats to support him... but I sort of don't want to restrict my diet that much when I don't have restrictions myself. This is frustrating! What's the best resource into figuring out what he can eat?

Angnix 06-06-2014 06:28 AM

Re: I don't think my husband can eat much...

I can't handle this anymore. I made dietary changes that successfully lowered his potassium, but something I did skyrocketed his triglycerides and set off another pancreatitis attack even though he is taking a statin medication and fish oil everyday.

solofelix 06-06-2014 06:52 AM

Hi,

This must be very difficult for you and not so good for him either...
Could you ask the Dietician to give you a written plan of all the foods he can eat and which will cover all his issues.
The only other thing I can suggest is to go online and look up a food plan for each of his complaints and even then you may still have a juggle act to contend with,

Solofelix.

JohnR41 06-30-2014 10:55 AM

Top 10 foods highest in potassium:

1) White beans

2) Dark leafy greens (spinach)

3) Baked potatoes (with skin)

4) Dried Apricots

5) Baked Acorn Squash

6) Yogurt (plain, skim/non-fat)

7) Fish (Salmon)

8) Avocados

9) Mushrooms (white)

10) Bananas

JohnR41 06-30-2014 11:03 AM

This shouldn't be too difficult if you would just eliminate processed foods. It's usually processed foods that are high in fat, carbs and sodium. And cholesterol is found in animal protein so you could solve that by eating a vegan diet. All together that means eating a non-processed vegan diet. As far as foods that are high in potassium, you can find lists of them online and then eliminate them. (I listed the top 10 in my previous post.)

If you eat a vegan diet, you will need to supplement a small amount of B-12.

davitude 07-27-2014 03:38 PM

I agree with John, a vegan diet without processed foods is the simplest way to go and would probably do the trick. However, I would also recommend you keep an eye on the glycemic index of the fruits and vegetables you eat. Since your husband is diabetic, I suspect you are already familiar with what these are and are monitoring blood sugar regularly.

The only other pitfall I can see is be careful as to what spices and sauces you use and check each one for sodium and potassium. Unfortunately, there are no good substitutes.

It is not going to be much fun staying within your restrictions no matter how you slice it, but with some diligence you'll probably be able to find some "staple" meals that taste good enough for you not to be miserable.

Best of luck to you and your husband Angnix...Let us know how it goes.

Lanceson 10-29-2014 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=JohnR41;5301234]Top 10 foods highest in potassium:

1) White beans

2) Dark leafy greens (spinach)

3) Baked potatoes (with skin)

4) Dried Apricots

5) Baked Acorn Squash

6) Yogurt (plain, skim/non-fat)

7) Fish (Salmon)

8) Avocados

9) Mushrooms (white)

10) Bananas[/QUOTE]

this :)

but for me, banana alone is fine. a banana a day, keep my potassium play :)