It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Dairy free cheese..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
    Baseball Man
    (male)

Baseball Man HB User
    Dairy free cheese..

Any suggestions on dairy free cheese? I am on a really restricted diet trying to fight heartburn.. I really miss eating cheese. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
    luca689
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User
    Re: Dairy free cheese..

There are many soy based cheese brands available now. Also many people can drink goat's milk and or sheep's milk without the distress of cow's milk and the same goes for cheeses

Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
    janis2
    (female)

janis2 HB User

I have never looked for them but I bet at a health food store or a bigger food chain they would have them.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 AM   #4
    Baseball Man
    (male)

Baseball Man HB User

Thanks! I bought some that was soy based the first bite had something crunchy in it.. ICK! So, may try some goat cheese if really needed.. Thanks for the replies. Have a great day!

Old 06-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
    H1023
    (female)

H1023 HB UserH1023 HB User

I too, unfortunately can't have dairy I've tried vegan cheeses which you can find at specialty markets. They are ok if you're really craving cheese, but to be completely honest, I'd rather just not eat cheese at all and not suffer (I'm allergic). Nothing will compare to real cheese, so it's not worth substituting, in my opinion. After not eating it for 2 years now, I don't even crave it. And I'm from Wisconsin

Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
    Elaine444
    (female)

Elaine444 HB User

There is a vegan cheese called Daiya that is also soy free. It is one of the best nondairy cheeses out there and it melts like regular cheese. It comes in wedges, shreds, and now they have a cream cheese line. Definitely worth checking in to.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
    H1023
    (female)

H1023 HB UserH1023 HB User

Does it taste good?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
    Elaine444
    (female)

Elaine444 HB User

I really like the taste of it, but I have not had dairy cheese in over three years so my taste buds may have changed. I can't remember what real cheese tastes like. Even before becoming vegan I had an intolerance to it so it's been a while. However, my husband, who is an omnivore, really likes Daiya too. I have used it to make pizza and vegan spinach mushroom lasagna (with sweet potato and tofu for the "ricotta" and daiya mozerella shreds on top). I once made a grilled cheese sandwich with the Daiya chedder wedges and it was VERY good! Of course I had not had a grilled cheese sandwich in years but for some reason craved one that day. Daiya is the only nondairy commercial cheese I can stand. I don't buy it often though due to expense and lack of nutritional value. I was never a huge fan of cheese anyway. I normally use nutritional yeast to make "cheesy" sauces, and have made my own homemade "cheese" using cashews, agar flakes, and a few other ingredients to make sliced cheese. It doesn't taste anything like dairy cheese but the texture is similar and it has it's own unique flavors that I like, and more nutritional value.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-10-2015 at 06:02 AM.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I believe dairy-free cheese is usually very high in sodium for a small serving. So if you eat 2, 3 or 4 servings, which is easy to do, your sodium intake will be sky high. The net result is less than healthy, in my opinion.

Closed Thread