It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Protein and carbohydrates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
    Springy
    (female)

Springy HB User
    Protein and carbohydrates

Hi all.
    I have been under my ideal weight for years. This is not due to illness or not eating - I eat every few hours or I start to feel faint/get the shakes!
    I have been advised that I need to eat more protein and carbohydrates to get my weight up.
    Any suggestions on what foods/supplements help? I am trying to eat more chicken, nuts, pasta etc when I can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
    surangama
    (male)

surangama HB User
    Re: Protein and carbohydrates

Hey Springy !

Your situation doesn't sound good, I hope I can help.

It is natural to need to eat throughout the day, but you certainly shouldn't be feeling faint! Make sure that you are eating fresh fruits and vegetables every day, and that you are eating enough calories to keep your body fueled.

Are you eating processed foods? Generally, processed foods are nearly devoid of nutrients, which will leave you malnourished even if you are eating enough calories. On the other hand, eating whole foods like raw fruits and vegetables will give you more than enough nutrients to fuel your body.

As far as energy sources, getting enough fats and protein is very easy. Either a piece of fish, or a bowl of beans with 1tbsp of flaxseed oil will fulfill your fat and protein requirements for the day when eaten in conjunction with whole fruits, grains, and vegetables.

There is actually a surprising amount of protein in fruits, vegetables, and grains. If you need more calories to get you through your day, I would suggest filling up on brown rice. Brown rice is a good balance of cheap and healthy, and if the cooking time is a problem, you can make a huge pot and save the leftovers in the fridge to save yourself time. But your problem might be more intricate than a simple energy deficit, so make sure you're eating high quality whole food in addition to sufficient quality!

Hope this was helpful!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
    barto
    (male)

barto HB User

You don't say how old you are. I was skinny up to my 25 and I was healthy and eating a lot; apparently I had fast metabolism.

They are calorie-dense foods that promote weight gain:
    Predominantly carbohydrate foods: bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal, and less calorie dense: fruits, like apples, pears, plums, grapes...
    Predominantly protein (and fat) foods: meat, fish, cheese, nuts, seeds, and less calorie dense: beans, peas and lentils
    Predominantly fat foods: oils, butter

One 100 g chocolate can have 500 calories, but the question is if jumping on chocolate will result in favorable gain weight. If you suddenly start to eat a lot of sweets, it may happen most of weight gain will be due to increased abdominal fat, which you probably don't want.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
    andersdu
    (male)

andersdu HB User

You could check out something like a protein supplement.

Though that product has artificial sweeteners and such. There are certainly other protein supplements that are minimally processed.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
    ryan015
    (male)

ryan015 HB User

Feeling faint is never good, but if you need more protein in your diet try protein shakes. These are great for on the go and take two seconds to make.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
    KickinIt23
    (female)

KickinIt23 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Springy View Post
    Hi all.
    I have been under my ideal weight for years. This is not due to illness or not eating - I eat every few hours or I start to feel faint/get the shakes!
    I have been advised that I need to eat more protein and carbohydrates to get my weight up.
    Any suggestions on what foods/supplements help? I am trying to eat more chicken, nuts, pasta etc when I can.
    For protein butters are an excellent choice. Peanut butter, almond butter, other nut butters. For carbohydrates you might want to try eating bananas and other fruits. Brown rice, whole-grain pasta, beans, whole wheat bread, whole oats, buckwheat, millet, whole rye, whole-grain barley and whole-grain corn are considered good carbohydrates. Good luck!

Closed Thread