It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Changing Diet/supplements to combat long term anxiety problem?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2014, 03:19 AM   #1
    robodelfy
    (male)

robodelfy HB User
    Changing Diet/supplements to combat long term anxiety problem?

Hi Everyone

I have suffered with very high anxiety for as long as I can remember. I have tried so much in the last ten years, various therapies, bodyworks, supplements, shamanic plant medicines etc. The list goes on! I get various physical symptoms too, such as tight throat, and tingling head/brain zaps.

I am vegetarian, and I know my diet is lacking in something. I have also considered that I might be eating something that causes anxiety. I live in the UK and most meals will contain wheat/gluten. I have read this could cause anxiety. I dont get much in the way of protein, or Omega 3.

I have started going down the wormhole on the web of what could help, what could cause etc. Its endless, with so many conflicting opinions. I cant try everything!! I have also taken various supplements for months after seeing a nutritionist and finding out some of my deficiencies.

But I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to start. I am starting to think that taking something out of my diet might be the way, as adding various supplements etc hasnt been effective,

I have also considered eating red meat, even though it would be hard!!

Any info greatly appreciated, especially from people who have found that some changes have helped their mental health

Thanks

Alex

Last edited by mod85; 07-28-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
    surangama
    (male)

surangama HB User
    Re: Changing Diet/supplements to combat long term anxiety problem?

Hey Alex !

I hope I can be of some help!

Research has shown that whole food plant-based diets are the healthiest diets possible, but 'vegetarian' doesn't imply whole food, so perhaps you are eating unhealthy foods despite your wise aversion of meat. And in addition to the negative effects of meat, you should be advised that nearly every human over the age of 3 is lactose intolerant (yes, seriously!) as our bodies stop producing the lactose related enzymes at a very young age.

If you are eating a variety of whole foods, you will receive enough protein, but if you are eating candy and junk food, you will likely fall short of your nutrient requirements. As long as you are having a variety of whole fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes on a regular basis, you will fulfill nearly all of your nutrient requirements. Make sure you're having at least one serving of beans per day, and you shouldn't have a problem with protein. I do not advise eating eggs or dairy products, as they have a very detrimental effect on your body, but if you do have a single serving of dairy per day, that will also satisfy your protein requirements.

So, eat some beans, and avoid processed foods, and you won't have to worry about protein.

As far as omega 3s and 6s are concerned, flaxseed oil is the best choice for omega 3s. I quite like the taste, and use it on salads, or it can be ingested alone like cough medicine. 1tbsp of flaxseed oil per day will fulfill your omega 3 requirements. For omega 6s, sunflower seeds are a good choice. A tiny handful of sunflower seeds contains enough omega 6s for the day, as well as containing a considerable amount of protein and fat.

I do not reccommend supplements, you can get everything you need from whole fruits, grains, and vegetables, although since you live in the UK you should take a small dose of Vitamin D daily, considering your distance from the equator (lack of UVB radiation to help your body produce Vitamin D.) Take whatever the smallest dose available for purchase is, larger doses are not better than smaller ones, Vitamin D is potent stuff!

So, eat beans and seeds (for protein), flaxseeds (for omega 3), and vitamin D as a supplement. (You certainly do not need to start eating red meat!)

As far as general lifestyle, I avidly recommend meditation, t'ai chi, and yoga. All three of these certainly have profound restorative effects.

I wish you all the best !

Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
    robodelfy
    (male)

robodelfy HB User

Hi Surangama

Thankyou for all that info, really appreciate it. I only just got a notification about anyone replying to this thread!

Yeah I dont think I will eat meat, as it just doesnt suit me. I think I could do a lot better with my diet, not that I eat unhealthily, but I just dont think it is varied and balanced enough.

I am a long term meditator, but recently have stopped and I can feel a difference. It's like exercise, I just find it hard to keep up the routine.

Thankyou for your advice, I will take it on board

Alex

Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
    surangama
    (male)

surangama HB User

Sounds like you're on the right track

Everything takes time. I spend several hours exercising most days, but a year ago I was spending most of my time playing video games.

I'm sure you can accomplish anything you put your mind to, as long as you keep pushing for it.

I'm still not good at meditating for extended periods at home, but I go to a meditation group every week, and I do better there. I find being in public places helps. I work more diligently on the computer when I'm at a coffee shop and I exercise more vigorously when I'm in a group setting. If I were to sit at home all day I'm sure I'd find a myriad of ways to waste my time, so I make sure I have something on my schedule every day.

Keep training, you can master your mind and body

Last edited by moderator2; 07-31-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
    robodelfy
    (male)

robodelfy HB User

Hi

Yeah I could do with much more exercise. I have just had malaria and have had very little energy since, so its hard to get it together!

Thanks for your help though, and for all the advice

Old 10-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
    kr76
    (male)

kr76 HB User

Protein is involved in every physiological aspect of your system. That is a quote from the Institute of Health. Most fruits and vegetables do have amino acids (protein), but most will not have enough of the indispensable amino acids your body requires. Plus, the absorption of the available amino acids is normally substantially less than meat, fish, poultry or dairy. I would consider protein from meat fish poultry and dairy first and fruits and vegetables as bonus.

Omega-3's will probably give you great results. The form of Omega-3 found in plant foods is poorly digested (about 5%) by the human body, studies dating back to 2006. Stick with fish oil. Try to get over 4000 mg per day of the combined Omega-3 from the EPA and DHA found on the label. This is a therapeutic value.

Vitamin and minerals will act as a co-enzyme, substrate or cofactor to almost all enzymes in your body. Look for a vitamin and mineral combination that has at least 400mg of magnesium. This is difficult to find. Natrol and Solgar have this.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
    KickinIt23
    (female)

KickinIt23 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robodelfy View Post
    Hi Everyone

I have suffered with very high anxiety for as long as I can remember. I have tried so much in the last ten years, various therapies, bodyworks, supplements, shamanic plant medicines etc. The list goes on! I get various physical symptoms too, such as tight throat, and tingling head/brain zaps.

I am vegetarian, and I know my diet is lacking in something. I have also considered that I might be eating something that causes anxiety. I live in the UK and most meals will contain wheat/gluten. I have read this could cause anxiety. I dont get much in the way of protein, or Omega 3.

I have started going down the wormhole on the web of what could help, what could cause etc. Its endless, with so many conflicting opinions. I cant try everything!! I have also taken various supplements for months after seeing a nutritionist and finding out some of my deficiencies.

But I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to start. I am starting to think that taking something out of my diet might be the way, as adding various supplements etc hasnt been effective,

I have also considered eating red meat, even though it would be hard!!

Any info greatly appreciated, especially from people who have found that some changes have helped their mental health

Thanks

Alex
    There are many non-meat foods that offer protein such as eggs, cheese, and butters (peanut, almond). Also check what you are eating, because even though most vegetables and wheat's are healthy, you maybe not be eating enough in certain other areas. Have you talked with a dietitian?
    Good luck!!

Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
    kesb
    (female)

kesb HB User

Have you had your vitamin d checked. I just found out mine was very low and anxiety, depression, fatigue muscle pain are just some of the symptoms. I would have it checked. I have had all of these symptoms including the anxeity

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, diet, health, supplements, vegetarian