HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diet & Nutrition (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Smoothie Advice (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/diet-nutrition/986457-smoothie-advice.html)

rsted222 07-29-2014 07:05 AM

Smoothie Advice

Turned 40 this year and made a commitment to get healthy. I thought the smoothie method would be the best initial strategy. What do think about this drink to start my every day.

In the nutri-bullet I put:

hand full of kale/spinach combo
apple (cut in pieces, of course)
about 5 baby carrots
2 big spoons of greek yogurt
a spoon of flax seed
then I toss in some frozen blueberries, strawberries, and bananas.
fill about half with regular water or coconut water

Tastes okay.

So, my question is. Should I add/remove anything for the perfect day starter?

Thanks in advance.

surangama 07-30-2014 01:10 PM

Re: Smoothie Advice

Sounds pretty perfect! :jester:

You can add hemp hearts. Hemp hearts have a good amount of omega 6's, and some omega 3's too. Flaxseeds are purely omega 3.

You can alternate the types of fruit and vegetable, perhaps depending on what's in season, what's on sale, and what you feel like. So you can keep the ratios the same but switch up the fruits occasionally for the sake of variety.

I would take out the greek yogurt entirely, it doesn't need to be replaced with anything. You certainly don't need the additional fats and proteins provided by the yogurt. As long as you have a few servings of beans and grains throughout the week you'll meet your protein requirements, and the only fats that you need to acquire through consumption are the omega 3s and 6s, which are provided by flaxseed, hemp hearts (and sunflower is another good source for 6s.)

So: add hemp hearts, remove yogurt, and vary the types of fruits and veggies you use.

These suggestions represent very fine tuning; you're doing very well, I'm sure you feel great after drinking your concoction! :angel:

surangama 07-30-2014 01:20 PM

Also, the contents should cater to what you intend to do throughout the day.

If you have a relatively sedentary day ahead of you, you might be better to start your day with some grains, legumes, veggies, and fruits.

If you are going to the gym first thing in the morning, you will do better if you have a smoothie that is high in simple carbs (fruit) and isn't too thick so that it'll pass through your stomach more quickly as to not be disruptive during your workout.

The surge of simple carbs will give you high blood glycogen levels which is good for exercise, but not so useful if you'll be sitting around.

And, if you are going to the gym you can bring a thin fruit smoothie with you to the gym (to provide readily useable fuel for your muscles), and/or have one afterwards (to replenish glycogen stores without giving your stomach lots of work to do at a time when your body should have its attention on muscle recovery).

About an hour after working out -- after your body has had some time to recover -- is the time when you should be getting the vegetables and legumes (protein, complex carbs, fiber, nutrients) into you.

rsted222 07-31-2014 08:01 AM

Thank you for the great advice. I will certainly take you up on it. And yes, I feel so much better after these morning drinks because up until now, I've basically been a huge meat eater...and potatoes.