It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Carb intake on low carb/high protein diet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
    solopoker1
    (male)

solopoker1 HB User
    Carb intake on low carb/high protein diet

I recently bought the p90X program, and being an analytical person, I stumbled upon something that confuses me. Im on stage 1, phase 1, aiming at 1800 cal/day. I workout 3 days a week (strength training, 1 hour,) and do 1 hour cardio the remaining 3. Now Ive read from a number of sources that Low-carb diets aim at 20 to 50 grams per day, up to 70/80.

I am aware the ideal number varies from person to person, but despite being lean I have always accumulated an astonishing amount of fat in my belly, so I guess I fall under the "low-carb need" kind of person.

Now according to the plan, I should take 1 portion from carbs group, which adds to about 25 gr of Carbs. However, the P90X bar has 30gr of carbs, whereas the recovery drink has up to 40 gr of carbs. This adds to a total of 150 gr of carbs per day, when I take into account the carbs from milk, yoghurt, fruit and vegetables. I am under the impression that this is way too much carbs. Could I get some guidance on the subject, please?

Thanks in advance for your time and apologies for any posible akwardness in my English: I am not a native speaker.

Last edited by solopoker1; 09-18-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
    solopoker1
    (male)

solopoker1 HB User
    Re: Carb intake on low carb/high protein diet

Ok I have thought about it more carefully and I have realised that 150 grams of carbs makes up for 30% of my total calorie intake, which is actually the target. So the aforementioned question is mostly answered. However, two questions arise:

1 ) The two P90x supplements add up to 42 gr of sugar, isnt this a bit too much? Also some people advise apple/pineapple juices, which contain a lot of refined sugar. Isnt this a no/no, or is it okay to use it as substitute for say the recovery drink (contains more or less the same amount of sugar/per gr carb)
    2) Is 1800 cal intake too small a quantity? Separating groups in the barrier of 2400/cal expenditure and putting me in group one doesnt seem all that accurate when Im spending around 2380 cals a day, this deficit might seem a bit too much. Should I am for a 1900/1950 intake rather? If so, any suggestions as to how to fill this gap? Thank you very much for your time.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
    JohnfromIN
    (male)

JohnfromIN HB User
    Re: Carb intake on low carb/high protein diet

Judging from the pictures of people who have complete P90x, just do it. None of them look like they were eating too much

P90x is a tough program. If you fail do not give up hope, find an easier program, such as the older power 90 (also from tony horton).

Low carb is without a doubt the best diet for weight loss. But P90 is not just a weight loss program. You will lose weight on it, but the main idea is to build up muscle and endurance.

If you are able to do the work, the diet probably isn't going to be so critical. You need a certain level of carbs to rebuild and replenish muscles after a workout.

I hope it is a success for you. I have the power 90 program and have been trying to work up the willpower to do it

Closed Thread