It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• I cannot eat fruit.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
    CantEatFruit
    (female)

CantEatFruit HB User
    I cannot eat fruit.

Ever since I was little, I have had a difficult time eating fruit. Before people start saying, "You are just picky, just try it." I would like to explain the struggle. Because, the Struggle is real.

I love the flavor of fruit, I love the color and every time I see one I just want to eat it. However, when I do eat it, my gag reflexes stop me from swallowing and simply force me to regurgitate (Gross, I know). This is not all fruit though. I have always been able to eat apples and oranges. I can eat cherries but I don't really enjoy them, especially the fake cherries that are candied and get stuck with a plastic stem, also known as Maraschino Cherries (Bleh!). I am now 20 years old and can proudly say that I have retried many fruit and can now eat Watermelon, Strawberries, and even grapes. But only in small doses.

Fruit is the only thing that is blocked by my gag reflexes. I can eat vegetables all day every day. I do hope that one day I can look a banana or peach in the eye, eat it, and not have to worry about gagging.

I want to talk to a Doctor who specializes in these types of things. But I wanted to know if I am the only one with this problem, and just simply what the internet thinks about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
    1FitnessNut
    (male)

1FitnessNut HB User
    Re: I cannot eat fruit.

I started eating fresh fruits daily a couple of years ago - strawberries (organic), blueberries, and blackberries - and its really improved my immune system significantly. I recently switched over to 'freeze dried' organic 100%, where I get more than the daily recommended Anti-Oxidant amount. Have you considered trying something like this so you can still get your anti oxidant?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
    Lanceson
    (male)

Lanceson HB User

likewise, never heard it before. but there was this time that i'm drunk, i ate a lot of watermelons, after that red spots all over my body showed. i guess it's a reaction when you combine something with the fruit, it triggers some allergies in our body.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
    Taajsgpm
    (male)

Taajsgpm HB User

It sounds purely psycological , you ought to be able to over come it with professional help its a fear based reflex imho

Old 11-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #5
    giamegan
    (female)

giamegan HB User

i think that you should try using the fruit in different ways, so that you will get their nutrition also, while not getting weird that you are actually eating them, like as smoothies and juices.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

Buy a Juicer and experiment.
    Not only is it fun but nutritionally good as well.
    I even mix fruit and veg together and add a little honey or cinnamon and have discovered some very unusual flavours, also adding ginger root can surprise you.

Solofelix.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
    susan923
    (female)

susan923 HB User

Hi! Because fruit are a part of our daily nutrients needed. I would suggest trying to drink smoothies. Does the taste of fruit yogurt make you ill? Mixing fruit with ice, yogurt and fruit may be a delicious way for you to get the vitamins you need!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
    barto
    (male)

barto HB User

I was about to ask you if you have been tested for fructose malabsorption, but if you can easily eat apples, which are high in fructose, fructose malabsorption is less likely.

Closed Thread

Tags
    eating disorder questions, gagging