It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Gluten intolerance - Help me??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #1
    Lucyy22
    (female)

Lucyy22 HB User
    Talking Gluten intolerance - Help me??

Hello, I have your story about gluten intolerance and I just would like someone to listen to mine.

I am a teen. Suddenly out of the blue in june 2014 i started developing dizziness off balance sensations headaches loss of appetite. I went to the doctors for testing and nothing was wrong. I woke up many days absolutely exhausted like id done a marthon and in the middle of the days it happened just bouts of extreme fatigue. I couldnt concrete, breathlessness, hot flushes, irregular periods I have vertigo(sudden falling sensations) tension headaches, shaking, temperature changes(too cold or too hot with chills)Joint pain, facial numbness sometimes, mouth ulcers(not sure if there to do with braces?) These are only SOME symptoms.I had leg weakness like I was walking on trampolines I still get this. I have had all this varying each day for months. I went to the ENT and I got my ears unblocked which subsided some of the vertigo but I still get off balance sensations. One time At the beginning of the new year I had a very uneasy stomach I felt like I couldnt eat rich foods, I couldnt eat I felt extremely nauseous so i headed to the doctors. They said I had a possibly of celiac , I had testing and it was negative. a couple weeks later I felt like eating healthy(no apprant reason) I swapped baked goods for fruit and vegetables and This carried on for two weeks, I still ate gluten but not as much as I usually would, I realised i feel so much more energized and I complety forgot about my symptoms. Do I have gluten intolerance?! I would do anything for a answer. My mother also has quite similar symptoms and has suffered with chronic migraines all her life. I also have excessive gas and belching.
    Thankyou

Last edited by mod85; 03-17-2015 at 03:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Gluten intolerance - Help me??

Hi and thanks for sharing your story. It seems quite likely that if a drastic reduction in gluten relieved many of your symptoms, that you have gluten intolerance. Proving that is sometimes difficult but there are tests that can be done to check it out. First you can have celiac antibodies tested in the blood as well as wheat allergy blood tests (IGG not IGE). In order for that testing to be accurate though you must be eating gluten prior to the testing. If those are positive, you need not go further, but an endoscopy with biopsy (Upper GI scope) will test most accurately for celiac disease. Not everyone with gluten intolerance has celiac disease though, and sometimes, the best test is to just pay attention to how you feel and if you feel better gluten free, that is the diet you need. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes not. The gas and belching is a big symptom of both gluten and dairy intolerance. If you get blood tests done for wheat IGG I would get milk IGG levels done too, as many people are sensitive to both. This is a big problem for me and lots of other people. It is hard to cope with at 14, but you may have uncovered something that will help your Mom as well. Let us know how your situation evolves!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
    Lucyy22
    (female)

Lucyy22 HB User

Hi thankyou for taking your time to write this.I didnt really have a drastic reduction in gluten as I still ate bread but instead of biscuits and sweet bars I changed them with fruit and in the morning instead of cereal or toast i had yoghurt. I felt alot better but not fully better. I have had a blood test for celiac disease and it came back negative. Would celiac and wheat antibodies show if I was just gluten intolerant? And I did eat gluten before the bloodtest. So I do not have celiac. I am very keen on going on a gluten free diet but it is hard and pretty much impossible as I always have sandwiches for lunch at school and the meals would be very difficult at home as my father and sister would have to have different meals. Yes I get alot of building up of nausea and then belching. I doubt I am dairy intolerance as I rarely drink milk I always have soya milk or something similar as i prefer it. I tell my mum often but every one just thinks im a hypochondriac. Do you have just gluten intolerance? And did/do you have the same symptoms as me? All of this just developed suddenely after a flight last year. Sorry for all the questions, *Note- I am also very irritable at times?
    Thankyou!

Last edited by Lucyy22; 03-15-2015 at 10:51 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

Old 03-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Lucy, I am both gluten and dairy intolerant, allergic to dairy proteins, not lactose (milk sugar) intolerant. It came as a shock to me at age 62. I have 3+ antibodies (IGG) to wheat and dairy products. So I cannot eat any gluten, milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, butter, etc., but I can eat eggs, as they are a different protein. It is a hard diet, so I needed some proof that my symptoms were a result. I have terrible bloating, burping, gas, constipation and reflux if I eat the stuff I shouldn't. I do not have celiac disease. So yes, you can have gluten intolerance or allergies without celiac antibodies/disease. It is possible to modify many recipes to fit a gluten free or dairy free diet, but baked goods are particularly tough. Thankfully, there are many more gluten free products on the market now than previously. It is doable with patience and persistence. There is a learning curve that can take months/years to fully understand, but it is worth it once you feel more normal. Good luck, I hope your situation gets clarified and you have support for whatever you need to do.

Last edited by ladybud; 03-15-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
    Lucyy22
    (female)

Lucyy22 HB User

Sorry to hear that. But Is all of the symptoms I listed symptoms or possible symptoms of gluten intolerance? I am going to try eating less gluten to see what happens.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
    TinaO88
    (female)

TinaO88 HB User

I think that to see if gluten is the culprit, you will need to go off of it entirely, not just eat less. From what I understand, even a little bit of gluten can cause symptoms and stay in your system for weeks.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
    Lucyy22
    (female)

Lucyy22 HB User

I know, I want to but it is very difficult. But Do you think gluten can cause all those symtpoms

Old 03-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
    Lucyy22
    (female)

Lucyy22 HB User
    anxiety help?

Can you have anxiety without generally feeling anxious or mildly?

Old 03-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think gluten intolerance could cause some of your symptoms but not all. You might want to get a good family history and see who, if anyone, has had autoimmune problems. Some of your symptoms could fit with autoimmune disorders, for example lupus, which can affect teens and young adults, usually females. I would research that a bit and see if your Dr. might do some initial screening tests for it and general inflammation. With the fatigue, a blood count for anemia and thyroid studies should be done too, just to be thorough.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #10
    Lucyy22
    (female)

Lucyy22 HB User

No one in my family has autoimmune problems. My mom has chronic migraine and hypermobility, i have hypermobility also and our symptoms fit together quite alot. I domt think I have lupus as my symptoms dont really fit to how I feel. I have also had a blood test before and they said it was fine.I dont get fatigue often anymore just sometimes. My blood test didnt say i had anemia as nothing was wrong, but sometimes when i take iron i feel better. Yes I said to my mom I could have a possibly of thyroid problems but she said no as my blood test came back as perfect

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 AM   #11
    neuroproblem
    (male)

neuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB Userneuroproblem HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucyy22 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. But Is all of the symptoms I listed symptoms or possible symptoms of gluten intolerance? I am going to try eating less gluten to see what happens.
    what gluten test did you do, what was the result? Reduction in gluten, doesnt change the symptom severity, i read that one can get a "autoimmune," reaction just from eating a few grams. people are known to get an autoimmune reaction from cross contamination of utensils that has gluten on it.
    do you have have bone issues? is your stool fatty,yellowish, and foul smelling?
    Theres a difference between gluten intolerance and celiacs. In gluten inolerance, also known as gluten insensitivity, you feel the other symptoms of gluten thats not affecting the intestines, but you have all the other symptoms. celiacs is actual damage to the intestinal wall.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-17-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
    Lucyy22
    (female)

Lucyy22 HB User

Just instead of biscuits and cakes I had fruit or other things non gluten and it helped slightly, but I still ate it. The blood test came back negative for celiac. I have hypermobility so does my mom and I have turned in knees. My stools are foul smelling I must admit, only sometimes. Yes I have other symptoms more than the actual gastro symptoms

Closed Thread