It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• At Wits End

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #1
    Louise125
    (female)

Louise125 HB User
    Unhappy At Wits End

At my wits end about what is wrong..everything keeps coming back normal. Bad stomach pain in middle of the chest which can last all day despite eating a bland diet. It feels muscular at times. Cardiac check WNL. Have been eating Prilosec, Bentyl, Levscin, Zantac, Pepto Bismol, Pepcid with little or no results. A lot of these drugs slow down the GI track which may also cause constipation which is the case with me. Waiting to have a mannometry test done. EGD normal, HIDA normal, All GB tests normal.Colonoscopy done last year diverticulousis which I knew I had b4. Am quite frustrated. I can tell in the am if it will be a good day or not.
    I really can not pin it down what it is that I eat really, sometimes I can eat something and then the next time I can't. I am starting to think that at 60 years old I might have to accept the fact that I will have to just put up with this. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
    Bercy
    (male)

Bercy HB UserBercy HB User
    Re: At Wits End

Sorry for your pain and misery. So many of us are in the same boat and each person responds differently to PPIs, diet, and other drugs. I have found that for me (and I have all of your symptoms, plus horrible bloating, diverticulosis, constant dizziness and vertigo) that I get some relief from the following:

Lactulose. For some reason this provides me a bowel movement rather quickly, but more importantly, it really helps me expel the gas. That in itself is major relief. It is available over the counter. Ask your pharmacist. And it is not expensive at all.

I am not a fan of holistic medicines, but I do find drinking a lemon/ginger tea helps with both the GERD, bloating, and that icky sour mouth. I don't make my own concoction. I found that Lipton makes a pleasant tasting one.

I don't eat bland, but I do avoid some foods. Refined sugars, beans, mushrooms and fruit seem to set me off worse. While I will eat some beans/mushrooms/onions from time to time, I keep the portion size small. I also eat 6 smaller meals a day and never lay down after eating for at least 2 hours. I don't use a lot of spices when cooking either. If you have a lot of bloating, try to eliminate or greatly reduce fruits.

Drink lots of water. It really does help. I drink at least 1.5 liters a day.

Lastly, do some research of the vagus nerve and gastric problems. It may apply to you. I have a growing suspicion that may be part of the puzzle for many of us. Particularly as we get older.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
    Louise125
    (female)

Louise125 HB User
    Re: At Wits End

Thanks for your suggestions!! I definitely will try them. Will do further research n those two topics. Thanks again

Closed Thread