It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Stomach Woes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
    Maltese12
    (female)

Maltese12 HB UserMaltese12 HB User
    Stomach Woes

Hello All! This is my first post and after reading this forum for a few days I must say I think it is one the best on the internet.

I had my gallbladder removed (sludge) April 2013. It was followed the next day by an ERCP due to the surgeon seeing what he thought could be stones. Turned out to be air bubbles. Since then I have had varying degrees of diarrhea, mostly in the morning but occasionally after lunch. I had been intending to see a gastro doc to discuss Welchol or something similar but was very busy at work. Metamucil helped a lot. I took an early retirement hoping to travel more and relax after years of stress but in Feb. of this year I fell on the ice and dislocated my shoulder. I was averse to using the opioids prescribed so I took lots of ibuprofen and aspirin. I continued with a low dose of aspirin due to a family history of colon CA and recent literature suggested it could be a preventative (I was not in the medical field). On week-ends I enjoyed having a couple of glasses of wine in the evening, occasionally a martini, or a fairly stiff gin and tonic. My only other health problem is mild HTN.

To make a long story short, about 10 days ago I developed bloating and burning in my stomach after eating, upper back pain, occasional itchy skin and yellow stool. The backache is relieved if I lie flat on my back. I saw my PCP last Thursday and she prescribed Protonix once a day and also Carafate 4 times a day. It has helped a lot. I also had blood drawn. Everything normal except ALT of 43 and O-2 of 18. Last year my ALT was 45 and O-2 27. I was diagnosed by CT scan a couple of years ago to have slight fatty liver. I have an appointment this Friday with a well-credentialed gastro doc at the Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center. I am eating a diet of white toast, potato, bananas, applesauce, white broiled fish, water, soda crackers, and boneless skinless chicken breast.
    Anyone ever have anything similar and what was the result? I wonder how long gastritis takes to resolve? I admit to fretting a bit about the liver, too. I am trying to keep active by going to the gym and also walking so as not to fret too much. I am sleeping okay. Maybe I am unrealistic in wanting this issue to resolve right away. I guess we all want the "magic wand".

Thanks for reading. I don't take anything anyone posts as medical advice so no worries there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
    gallbladder experiences, gastritis, liver