It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Constant nausea ... in need of help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
    kbo29
    (female)

kbo29 HB User
    Constant nausea ... in need of help

This is going to be fairly long. I'm sorry in advance. This all started on February 26th of this year, so 23 days and counting. On the 26th, at night, I started feeling incredibly nauseated. I spent the entire night in the bathroom. I did not throw up. Throughout this whole ordeal, I have not actually thrown up. The next day, I started to have black stools. The nausea at night lasted for about a week, and all of a sudden, the nausea began happening during the day as well. After this, I called my primary doc and he told me it was the flu and prescribed Zofran for the nausea. The zofran didn't touch the nausea at all. For another week, I suffered until I finally went to see my nurse practitioner. By this time, I had lost 12 pounds. She did not do any tests but told me that my symptoms sound like a gastric ulcer. She prescribed Nexium, 20 mg a day and Reglan for the nausea. Reglan also does nothing for the nausea.

I started the Nexium on March 7th, so I have been taking it for almost two weeks. I no longer have intense nausea during the day and at night, but I do have vague and lingering nausea throughout the day. Sometimes the nausea becomes full blown and other times it comes for a while and passes. But still, I am vaguely nauseated 24/7. I no longer have black stools. I have been on Nexium for almost two weeks and I'm not sure if it's working or not. I feel better than I did two weeks ago, but I still do not feel remotely close to "good" or "normal". I have not had any tests. Nothing for H. Pylori. No endoscopy. All I'm taking is Nexium once a day.

What do I do next? I want the nausea to go away. I am so tired of this. Please help.

List of symptoms:

Nausea (persistent)
    Occasional gnawing pain in stomach
    Burping/hiccuping after eating
    Full feeling in stomach

Last edited by kbo29; 03-19-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: Constant nausea ... in need of help

Hi I would go ahead and see a gastro dr. I've been dealing with nausea over 5 yrs it's much better than it was. Things need to be ruled out. Watch your diet for now, no caffeine, no dairy, tomatoes or acidic foods like juices. Drug stores carry ginger gum where they have the motion sickness stuff it works fadt. They also have the pressure point wrist bands takes the edge off.

I find salt free pretzels help and weak ginger tea. No sodas. Prop yourself up on pillows at night.

Btw, for future reference I read on here you can have low acid as well. After being on 2 prilosec for 3 yrs I slowly backed down then switched to 1 zantac and now I think I have found my sweet spot. 2 prilosec was eating up too much acid and causing more nausea. I still have to watch what I eat and eat small amounts and not eat late. Good luck, Cathy

Old 03-20-2016, 04:32 AM   #3
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I had nausea with Gastritis and needed a good 2/3 months of Omeprazole to heal the inflammation. I have weaned myself off it now

If as suspected the blood in stools suggests an ulcer you probably need to be checked for Pylori infection too, which would need antibiotics alongside a PPI

Old 03-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
    L0LLY
    (female)

L0LLY HB User

I had almost the same symptoms you are taking about, my was diagnosed H. Pylori. Was happy when I finally found out what was causing my gastric problems. Its is easy to find out if you have h.pylori, just ask your doctor to do the test, I did the stool test which I was told was more accurate in detecting the bacteria. Maybe worth while ti find out if you have it?

Closed Thread