It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Desperate to end unrelenting nausea. Gastritis or Ulcer??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
    kbo29
    (female)

kbo29 HB User
    Exclamation Desperate to end unrelenting nausea. Gastritis or Ulcer??

A month ago, I began feeling sick to my stomach at night. A week afterwards, I began to feel nausea all day long. The nausea is constant and unrelenting. Some days, I can eat and drink a good amount and other days I am not able to drink or eat anything because the nausea is so bad. I had black stool for about a week, but then I began having regular colored stool with some mucus in the stool. I went to see my NP and she said that I either have an ulcer or gastritis. She has me on 20 mg of Nexium a day.

I've been on Nexium for three weeks and I don't know what to do anymore. I am having nausea every single day. I do not throw up, but I am no longer able to live my life. I'm a 22 year old female. I can't go to work or school. If it is an ulcer or gastritis, how long will it take to heal? What can I do to relieve the nausea?

My main symptoms are as follows:

Nausea (constant)
    Occasional gnawing in stomach
    Feeling of raw stomach
    Nausea/gnawing/stomach worse at night

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
    Re: Desperate to end unrelenting nausea. Gastritis or Ulcer??

I've had Gastritis and would describe it exactly like you have. I was put on 20mg am and pm to heal it. It did work.
    I ate very blandly. And drank warm, not hot, water between meals

I would think an ulcer's symptoms are very similar, the PPI (twice a day) should heal it, but sometimes you need an antibiotic for Pylori at the same time. You should get tested for that

Old 03-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you tried ginger? It could help with the nausea. Also, a friend had similar symptoms for 6 months. Nothing helped. They finally did a HIDA Scan and she had a nonfunctioning gallbladder. Just a thought to keep in mind if nothing else works.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
    Maltese12
    (female)

Maltese12 HB UserMaltese12 HB User

I think you might consider asking your NP or GP for a referral to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy. It is really the only way to know for sure what is going on so as to get effective treatment.

Sorry you are in such discomfort. I wish you the best. Post back and let us know what you find out and how you are doing.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
    BillandMary
    (male)

BillandMary HB User

Hello,
    Sounds like you are going through what I am however I had a HDG (scope down the throat) about two weeks ago and they found a ulcer, took a biopsy and it came back as non h-pylori. So now they cannot give me any antibiotics so its just suppose to heal naturally which is bull crap. Be careful with the PPI and zantac crap. Yes it will reduce the stomach acid but also causes other major issues. If you find something that works please let me know as I am also suffering greatly.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Don't ignore black stools as that may indicate bleeding, possibly from an ulcer

Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
    squid64
    (male)

squid64 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maltese12 View Post
    I think you might consider asking your NP or GP for a referral to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy. It is really the only way to know for sure what is going on so as to get effective treatment.

Sorry you are in such discomfort. I wish you the best. Post back and let us know what you find out and how you are doing.
    a non-h.pylori ulcer?

I read that these are pretty rare to get...
    What condition did the gastroenterologist say you have?

I currently am having an ongoing burning with slight pain and nausea.

Thank you

Old 04-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My Dad had a non pylori duodenal ulcer that perforated

The Following User Says Thank You to rainbowsrock For This Useful Post:
    squid64 (04-16-2016)
    Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
    squid64
    (male)

squid64 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BillandMary View Post
    Hello,
    Sounds like you are going through what I am however I had a HDG (scope down the throat) about two weeks ago and they found a ulcer, took a biopsy and it came back as non h-pylori. So now they cannot give me any antibiotics so its just suppose to heal naturally which is bull crap. Be careful with the PPI and zantac crap. Yes it will reduce the stomach acid but also causes other major issues. If you find something that works please let me know as I am also suffering greatly.

a non-h.pylori ulcer?

I read that these are pretty rare to get...
    What condition did the gastroenterologist say you have?

I currently am having an ongoing burning with slight pain and nausea.

Thank you

Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
    crabfest
    (female)

crabfest HB User

Doctors have me on sufrafate and it coats my stomach. Been on it for 4 months now and if I miss a dose, I feel the burning pain and nausea. Pepto Bismol also helped me a little before I was able to see the gastrologist but I would ask for this medicine to help you until they find out what it is. Was told it was a medicine they used before they had all these acid reducers. But like someone else mentioned, be careful of the PPIs, I was on Protonix for 10 years for GERD and now I have problems with anemia and breaking bones.

Closed Thread

Tags
    gastritis, gerd, nausea, ulcer