It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Antral gastritis ... worried

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
    (male)

096841 HB User
    I want to find the underlying cause for gastritis

Pretty much what I want to know is WHY do I have gastritis? 2 months ago I tested negative for H. Pylori and I do not take NSAIDs. Could the Antral gastritis be the result of having some other illness in another part of the body?

Yesterday I had endoscopy which diagnosed me with Antral gastritis, a small hiatal hernia, and mild distal esophagitis. I went in for an endoscopy because I was feeling mild burning in my abdomen and occasional nausea...
    Those problems seemed to go away on their own and instead I developed frequent flatulence, loss of appetite and fatigue instead...

The gastroenterologist prescribed me to take OMEPRAZOLE 40 mg for a month...
    I'm worrying that this will worsen my symptoms because at the moment I'm not feeling burning or nausea and haven't felt this way for weeks...

The biopsy report is still not in yet and I'm simply having trouble FINDING information on ANTRAL GASTRITIS, some websites claiming that it is AUTOIMMUNE caused...

Someone please help... I feel as this is a weird form of gastritis (because I can't find much about it) caused by something like Bowel cancer, or a gallbladder issue...

Last edited by 096841; 05-07-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: explanation

The following user gives a hug of support to 096841:
    movielover40 (06-10-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: I want to find the underlying cause for gastritis

Antral gastritis means you have inflammation in the upper inner curved portion of the stomach. This is common, because the cells that secrete hydrochloric acid are located there. It is caused by an imbalance in the pH of your stomach, like too much acid. Some foods such as caffeine, alcohol, acidic foods like vinegar, tomatoes, excess citrus can aggravate this. Stress and smoking both also increase HCL secretion. The omeprazole just inhibits the HCL secretion from the antrum, and should help your symptoms and the inflammation clear up. I would not worry about cancer or other serious problems, and your Dr. prescribed an appropriate medication, but it takes 4-6 weeks for the inflammation to subside, so I would take it as directed and you'll feel better soon.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
    (male)

096841 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Antral gastritis means you have inflammation in the upper inner curved portion of the stomach. This is common, because the cells that secrete hydrochloric acid are located there. It is caused by an imbalance in the pH of your stomach, like too much acid. Some foods such as caffeine, alcohol, acidic foods like vinegar, tomatoes, excess citrus can aggravate this. Stress and smoking both also increase HCL secretion. The omeprazole just inhibits the HCL secretion from the antrum, and should help your symptoms and the inflammation clear up. I would not worry about cancer or other serious problems, and your Dr. prescribed an appropriate medication, but it takes 4-6 weeks for the inflammation to subside, so I would take it as directed and you'll feel better soon.
    Hey ladybud, it's me again... So i've been taking 40mg Omeprazole for a little over a month, I've gone 2 days without taking it and haven't felt very much burning going on. I had a follow-up with the GP who prescribed me the omeprazole and she had gave me another 2 months worth 'just in case i feel it coming back'. However, I've still noticed that my appetite is still very weak and I don't get hungry like i used to (I'm almost never hungry) I also occasionally get nauseated. I'm pretty much eating because I know I have to, not because I have hunger... I haven't had significant weight loss, but I've also been forcing myself to eat more in fear of losing too much weight because I'm 5'6 and weigh around 110 lbs. so I cannot afford to lose any weight... I told the GP this and they had given me dicyclomine 10mg... I'm not sure what to do. Months back I had a blood test (the test that showed I was negative for H. Pylori) and that test showed everything was normal, and I just had a stool test that showed everything was fine... I'm not sure why i have lost my appetite and it's concerning me... Any feedback you can give would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by 096841; 06-09-2016 at 10:16 PM.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 096841 View Post
    Hey ladybud, it's me again... So i've been taking 40mg Omeprazole for a little over a month, I've gone 2 days without taking it and haven't felt very much burning going on. I had a follow-up with the GP who prescribed me the omeprazole and she had gave me another 2 months worth 'just in case i feel it coming back'. However, I've still noticed that my appetite is still very weak and I don't get hungry like i used to (I'm almost never hungry) I also occasionally get nauseated. I'm pretty much eating because I know I have to, not because I have hunger... I haven't had significant weight loss, but I've also been forcing myself to eat more in fear of losing too much weight because I'm 5'6 and weigh around 110 lbs. so I cannot afford to lose any weight... I told the GP this and they had given me dicyclomine 10mg... I'm not sure what to do. Months back I had a blood test (the test that showed I was negative for H. Pylori) and that test showed everything was normal, and I just had a stool test that showed everything was fine... I'm not sure why i have lost my appetite and it's concerning me... Any feedback you can give would be very much appreciated.
    Many people who have gastritis have a loss of appetite, especially if eating exaccerbates their symptoms. Just to be on safe side, I would request getting an ultrasound to check out the pancreas and gall bladder and liver. That is reasonable to do to make sure nothing else is going on.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
    (male)

096841 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
    Many people who have gastritis have a loss of appetite, especially if eating exaccerbates their symptoms. Just to be on safe side, I would request getting an ultrasound to check out the pancreas and gall bladder and liver. That is reasonable to do to make sure nothing else is going on.

Hello ladybud - I have went ahead and done an ultrasound, results came back normal. Since I still feel mild nausea quite often and cannot gain an appetite, my GP wants to do more tests on me (a Gastric Emptying Test and a Colonoscopy). They have also taken more blood samples to study. I don't really FEEL like I have Gastroparesis - The symptoms aren't that severe and I can force myself to eat regular portions, however sometimes (especially in the mornings, I get an uncomfortable nausea feeling in my throat that grosses me out, but I still power through it and eat)... I feel like I have been passing some more loose, mushy looking stools than normal for quite some time now, so my GP insists for me to get a colonoscopy... Do you think that they suspect colon cancer? I'm only 20 years old, and do not have a family history of any cancer... Again, your feedback on this whole thing would be GREATLY appreciated, since I have no one else to talk to about this stuff.

((P.S., I forgot to mention in my last post from June 9th that they had also done a stool test that came out fine.))

Last edited by 096841; 06-24-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Hello ladybud - I have went ahead and done an ultrasound, results came back normal. Since I still feel mild nausea quite often and cannot gain an appetite, my GP wants to do more tests on me (a Gastric Emptying Test and a Colonoscopy). They have also taken more blood samples to study. I don't really FEEL like I have Gastroparesis - The symptoms aren't that severe and I can force myself to eat regular portions, however sometimes (especially in the mornings, I get an uncomfortable nausea feeling in my throat that grosses me out, but I still power through it and eat)... I feel like I have been passing some more loose, mushy looking stools than normal for quite some time now, so my GP insists for me to get a colonoscopy... Do you think that they suspect colon cancer? I'm only 20 years old, and do not have a family history of any cancer... Again, your feedback on this whole thing would be GREATLY appreciated, since I have no one else to talk to about this stuff.

((P.S., I forgot to mention in my last post from June 9th that they had also done a stool test that came out fine.))
    It is customary to do colonoscopy whenever there is a change in bowel habits. Excess stomach acid can cause looser stools, so I would suspect that is the cause but your Dr is being thorough to rule out anything more serious. Stress is the most common cause for gastritis. Rarely an endocrine problem can cause it (zollinger-Ellison syndrome) which can be associated with excess parathyroid hormone. That causes high serum calcium. So getting a calcium level and serum gastrin level might be next steps if you feel you are not responding to your treatment. Carafate is also a good medicine for gastritis that coats the stomach lining. It is Rx. The stress and gastritis can be a vicious circle if you are worried about your heath and thinking things far worse than it is. There's also a genetic tendency to gastritis and ulcers, so a family history is pertinent.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
    cantaloupe
    (male)

cantaloupe HB User

Quote:
    Pretty much what I want to know is WHY do I have gastritis? 2 months ago I tested negative for H. Pylori and I do not take NSAIDs. Could the Antral gastritis be the result of having some other illness in another part of the body?

Yesterday I had endoscopy which diagnosed me with Antral gastritis, a small hiatal hernia, and mild distal esophagitis. I went in for an endoscopy because I was feeling mild burning in my abdomen and occasional nausea...
    Those problems seemed to go away on their own and instead I developed frequent flatulence, loss of appetite and fatigue instead...

The gastroenterologist prescribed me to take OMEPRAZOLE 40 mg for a month...
    I'm worrying that this will worsen my symptoms because at the moment I'm not feeling burning or nausea and haven't felt this way for weeks...

The biopsy report is still not in yet and I'm simply having trouble FINDING information on ANTRAL GASTRITIS, some websites claiming that it is AUTOIMMUNE caused...

Someone please help... I feel as this is a weird form of gastritis (because I can't find much about it) caused by something like Bowel cancer, or a gallbladder issue...

Hey, how have you been since august? Im suffering from a loss of appetite and pretty bad nausea and have had the diagnosis of antral gastritis too. I tried the PPI medication with no results. I tried many natural remedies but still feel sick most of the time and have to force myself to eat often. Have you found any relief yet?

Old 11-22-2016, 12:07 AM   #8
    (male)

096841 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cantaloupe View Post
    Hey, how have you been since august? Im suffering from a loss of appetite and pretty bad nausea and have had the diagnosis of antral gastritis too. I tried the PPI medication with no results. I tried many natural remedies but still feel sick most of the time and have to force myself to eat often. Have you found any relief yet?

Hi there, i say that after a month with the ppi, it helped me with the burning for a few months (now i feel as though its coming back). My appetite is still not the best though ... My nausea has definatly gotten better, i put that down to stress because I was constantly worrying at that time... Whenever i felt nauseated i would take a slow walk outside and I would wear anti-nausea motion sickness bands that apply presure on your wrist to calm me down... sometimes still do that when i feel like that occasionally... Nowadays I'm dealing with burning again sort of and little appetite, as well as bowel issues still... Wish these problems would leave me alone. HOPE YOU CAN FIND RELIEF

Last edited by 096841; 11-22-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Closed Thread