It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• CONSTANT Tightness/cramping in upper abdomen for over a week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
    justaperson123
    (male)

justaperson123 HB User
    CONSTANT Tightness/cramping in upper abdomen for over a week

A couple of months ago I first got this tightness in my upper abdomen that I initially mistook for chest pain. It went away and came back occasionally, but for the past week and half or so it's been nearly constant. Sometimes I'll be lying down and won't feel anything, but standing up for a minute or so will inevitably bring it back.

The tightness is above my navel, more or less in the middle of my abdomen, occasionally spreading out to the sides, especially the right side. I've also been getting a bit of a burning sensation on the both sides of my upper abdomen since last night. I have no associated nausea or vomiting or reflux. The tightness doesn't seem to be affected by food or bowel movements. My bowel movements themselves have been pretty normal, and I have been getting unusually gassy, but that's probably due to the fact that I've been too stressed out about this to eat.

Basically, I've worked myself up into a state and I'm convinced I have colon cancer. I get constipated every now and then and occasionally have some blood in my stool when it's hard to pass (generally bright reddish but now I'm doubting that in my paranoia), but not frequently, and my stools have been generally fine lately (i've been loading up on fiber).

I went to a gastroenterologist and he recommended a CT followed by a colonoscopy if the CT didn't show anything. I had lots of bloating when I saw him, and I think I gave him the wrong idea about where the tightness is, so he seems to think it's in the middle of my abdomen and that I might have Crohn's or ulcerative colitis in the ileum. The tightness can be diffuse sometimes, so it's not always easy to tell, but I'm virtually certain it's coming from above my navel at this point.

I asked him if it could be cancer and he shrugged off that suggestion, but I'm still worried. The discomfort itself isn't even that bad,usually, but the anxiety is driving me up the wall. The thing that's really bothering me is the near constant nature of the tightness for SO long. Has anyone had anything like this before? Any advice on how to treat it? I'm on Prilosec, but that hasn't done anything. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
    jananarama
    (female)

jananarama HB User
    Re: CONSTANT Tightness/cramping in upper abdomen for over a week

Just had a CT scan done this afternoon for similar pain over past 3 days. Mine turned out to be diverticulitis. Could yours also be appendicitis?

Regardless, I wouldn't wait to get the CT scan. Personally I prefer answers to the anxiety/discomfort of not knowing. So many things (even cancer) are treatable if caught early! Don't wait!

Last edited by jananarama; 12-16-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
    Silver264
    (female)

Silver264 HB User
    Re: CONSTANT Tightness/cramping in upper abdomen for over a week

I too am experiencing tightness and cramping. Two months ago GI doctor advised me to get an endoscopy of my stomach (which I did have done). Everything turned out completely normal.

Tightness comes frequently after eating (but sometimes without eating). I want to rip my clothes off and wear something loose...but that actually doesn't help. My right side cramps up and can spread to feeling like a tight belt is being pulled across my entire abdomen.

My dazughter found a diagnosis which fits almost perfectly. It is called MALS. I happen to have an appointment this week with my primary care and I'll run it by him. GI doctor didn't even have a suggestion of possible conditions.

Last edited by Silver264; 01-03-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    abdominal cramping, colon cancer, upper abdomen pain