It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

Nausea after eating

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
DinglePenn
(male)

DinglePenn HB User
Nausea after eating

Greetings all,

I'm a 36 year old male. My journey begins in March 2016, when I had my appendix removed after having left upper and left and right lower quadrant pains. CT scan showed an inflamed appendix and the doctors went in immediately to remove it (it did not rupture, but they said it was "ripe" after the procedure was over).

Fast forward to this past spring when I began noticing abdominal pains again 2-3 times a day. These pains are/were typically left upper quadrant, just under my ribs, 2-3" left of center. However, I also get occasional pains RUQ, roughly symmetrical to the LUQ pain, and I can also get pains lower near my navel, left and right side. The pains aren't severe, typically just noticeable, 1-2 out of 10 on a pain scale. However, the most troubling symptom at this point is that I get nauseated (haven't vomited to this point) fairly consistently after eating breakfast and lunch, and rarely after eating dinner. I have kept a food journal for a few months and have not been able to connect my symptoms with anything.

I also had a burning pain on one day about two months ago that was RUQ just under my ribs and went to my back. 6/10 on the pain scale, would last 30 seconds or so at a time about every 20-30 minutes for 8-10 hours. It hasn't recurred since that day.

I have had the following procedures, medications, and results:
1) Thyroid ultrasound (I also had/have neck pain): One small 5mm nodules in each lobe that are likely benign and no one is concerned much about.

2) Bloodwork x 2: Both times, nothing abnormal.

3) Medications attempted: Fomotadine, Prilosec, Nexium, Zegerid, Carafate. Prilosec made my nausea worse. I experienced very little symptom changes with these medications. I am still taking Carafate, and I think I get pains slightly less often with this, but no real major change, and no change to nausea after eating.

4) Gallbladder ultrasound (sent after the burning pain): Normal, no stones.

5) Endoscopy: Mild gastritis, slight redness at the lower third of my esophagus, normal duodenum. Biopsies taken for H. Pylori and Celiac, both negative.

6) HIDA Scan: Low ejection fraction at 22%. No sign of inflammation.

The next test I have is a gastric emptying test (ordered at the same time as the HIDA). So that is TBD.

Does anyone have thoughts on any of this? I could definitely be exercising more, but otherwise have a normal body mass index and eat a healthy diet. I was once a healthy dude, but I guess you are healthy until the day you aren't. I'm wondering if there isn't something bigger lurking - why are my organs bailing on me in short succession? Also, I had abdominal pains last year, they removed my appendix, and I'm still having abdominal pains. I hope the solution isn't to keep taking out organs.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited by DinglePenn; 09-04-2017 at 01:24 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to DinglePenn:
movielover40 (09-04-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: Nausea after eating

You should have the 24 hour acid test where they put a hose up your nose and feed it thru the esophagus. You wear a monitor that records when acid starts coming back up.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
DinglePenn
(male)

DinglePenn HB User

Thank you, I will look into that.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

With an EF of 22%, I'd be having my gallbladder out. 35% is the bottom threshhold for normal!

Reply Reply