It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Gallbladder stones and sludge

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
    CurlyMay
    (female)

CurlyMay HB User
    Gallbladder stones and sludge

I have occasional RUQ ache combined at times, depending on diet,
    Which is usually low fat, with more painful sharp pains in back and
    Shoulders. Ultrasound revealed sludge and small stones, largest 6mm.
    Dr. Said that is not of concern and does not necessitate removal at
    This time. Says my symptoms not severe enough. Is that the usual
    Approach? Upon reading, some Drs. Say should be removed, others
    Say sludge not a serious problem. Interested in others experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Gallbladder stones and sludge

Dear CurlyMay,

One can have no obvious symptoms and still need the gall bladder removed. It is not always obvious. When my GB pain began I always had eaten a very healthy diet and never ate fatty products so while some believe GB issues are caused from eating fat (and maybe fat does contribute sometimes), I think the GB goes haywire from other reasons as well. I also believe the pain speaks for itself. It is easy for others to say your pain doesn't matter or isn't severe enough. WHAT??? You should not have to feel like you are stabbed in the back to be taken seriously. A ruptured gall bladder is a danger.

I suggest that you get a copy of the test results and take yourself to other doctors as soon as possible, and be very up front about your symptoms. Some doctors are actually paid to hold patients off from treatment as long as possible. They say the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so speak up.

Use the words 'just humor me'. Go to urgent care. Go to the Emergency room. Go outside of your medical group. Call your insurance company and say you want to be taken seriously. Keep speaking up. Check doctor names on Yelp to see what other patients have to say.

Let us know how you are doing.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I would find a doctor who will remove your gallbladder. Last year, I was having the same symptoms and had NO stones, but was filled with sludge- my GI doctor felt it was an emergency and found me a surgeon who did it immediately. When I was in surgery, my gallbladder fell apart in the forceps. My surgeon told me that if I hadnt had it removed when I did, it would have ruptured. Ruptured gallbaldders can be life threatening.

Go get another opinion and get it out.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
    CurlyMay
    (female)

CurlyMay HB User

I thought if something was more seriously wrong the symptoms would be
    More intense as in severe pain, fever, vomitting , none of which I have. I
    Have actually been living with this for 9 yrs but U/S did not show stones
    Until this past year; and my symptoms have been relatively the same all
    This time. So was wondering if I could keep going on like this. Mind you my
    Diet is pretty bland as anything the least bit greasy triggers an attack.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
    CurlyMay
    (female)

CurlyMay HB User

Also I know of others who struggle with chronic diarrhea post removal
    Surgery, one reason not anxious to have gallbladder out.
    Is that the case for others?

Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #6
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Curly,

Within a month of the surgery I felt great and in two more weeks I never felt better.
    Seriously. I am like you in that I never handled greasy food before the surgery and still don't. Gall Bladder issues are not the same for everyone, and may even be different some for everyone.

One thing you do not want is a burst gall bladder. So do find a good GB doctor and take care of this. Obviously something is not right.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Curly, you said "I thought if something was more seriously wrong the symptoms would be
    More intense as in severe pain, fever, vomitting , none of which I have. I have".

I had none of these either...just sludge. And, my gallbladder almost ruptured.

Not everyone has the same symptoms and other than pain in my back and occasional stomach aches, I had no symptoms. I still desperately needed my GB out and felt 100% better afterwards.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
    CurlyMay
    (female)

CurlyMay HB User

Hi Misnik,
    How was it determined that you had the sludge and it
    Warranted removal? How was the gallbladder so diseased
    Without causing more severe symptoms?
    My U/S states no cholecystitis or wall thickening. Would that
    Be the reason Dr.not considering surgery?

Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear Curlymay,

Not to knock doctors at all but doctors are just human and they are in business. Doctors have their own opinions. Some are even being paid bonuses for avoiding surgeries or costly procedures. Some just don't know how dangerous diseased or dysfunctional gallbladder can be. But just like all of us, at times they can and do err on the side of inappropriate or danger.

What to do is get other opinion outside that medical group. Group doctors support each other. That's understandable, too, but when we are not feeling right about it we patients need to understand this fact and get outside opinion. If you are in the US, medical insurance is required to pay for doctor opinion outside your medical group, but we have to find the doctor we want to see us, call our insurance co. and state that we want to get opinion outside our medical group. Not positive but it seems like they will set up the appt. Talk to your insurance company's advice nurse.

We can not know for sure what your doctor's reasoning is, though you can ask the doctor. It very well be that the doctor doesn't have the experience to make him or her wiser. Regarding possible diarrhea after surgery, here is reliable info,
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cholecystectomy/expert-answers/gallbladder-removal/faq-20058481

Let us know how you are doing.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Curly,
    I started having back pain constantly...and then on a Friday, I felt like I had the flu. I was knocked out and nauseous and couldn't eat anything without feeling worse. I had also eaten seafood the night before and wondered if I had some sort of food poisoning. I was not throwing up, but felt terrible.
    On Monday, I went to work still feeling awful and left early to go to my doctor to try and get something for the nausea- Pepto was doing nothing.

He took one look at me and decided to order the CT scan. This showed the immense sludge in my system, no stones and only moderate thickening. Sludge is a pre-cursor to stones, stones form from sludge...
    I was sent from the hospital where I got the CT scan back to the doctors office where he made some calls and sent me to see a surgeon. The surgeon looked at my films and got me into surgery almost immediately.

I am not sure if you are seeing a GI doctor or a primary doctor but you should definitely be seeing a GI doctor. Thats who I went to see, not my primary. GI doctors can also run a HIDA scan on you to see where your levels are. Too low and you need surgery, too high and its also abnormal. I never even had the HIDA since the sludge was obviously causing my pain...once surgery was over I was fine. It took about 3 weeks before I was 100% but the pain I had been having was gone instantly.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm concerned that a stone is going to get stuck in your bile duct. That could mean emergency surgery or damage to the duct that you would never totally recover from. As long as you stick to a fat free diet for the first 2-4 weeks and slowly introduce fat into your diet, you should be fine after surgery. At age 59 I jogged 2 miles a week after I had mine out.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
    Accept
    (male)

Accept HB User

2 years ago I had similar symptoms. I eventually ended up at the ER in extreme pain and they told me I had a few small stones. They gave me morphine and sent me on my way. I saw a GI and he said my condition was "mild". After 4 more ER trips for the same issue and 6 months later I had surgery to remove my gallbladder. The surgeon told me my gallbladder was one of the worst he had seen and it was a life risking situation. He told me the gallbladder is either good, or bad. There is no "mild". He told me ultrasound and imagining can not determine the severity of the problem, only that there is a problem. My suggestion is to get it removed before it gives you more agony.

Reply Reply