It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Digestive 'conundrum'

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
    Borodin55
    (male)

Borodin55 HB User
    Digestive 'conundrum'

Last December I began to experience discomfort in my lower abdomen, just below my navel. This was accompanied by a pressure sensation which I initially thought was on my bladder but I am now convinced it is on my prostate. Gradually it became worse and I went to see my GP. He examined my prostate and took full blood tests, everything came back fine. Pain became unbearable a couple of weeks later and I was admitted to hospital for colonoscopy, cystoscopy, 3 CT scans of stomach and abdomen and X-Rays.
    All tests showed nothing. I explained the pain was better when I stood up but as soon as I lay on my side or sat down I felt continual gurgling in my small intestine as it was 'crunched' together. I was discharged from the hospital with a possible IBS diagnosis and giving medication and painkillers. I became badly constipated and twice have noticed that when it is really bad I have leaked just a small amout of seminal fluid as I strain to pass a motion. I also seem to have trapped air in my colon which is released in extremely short and painful bursts.
    So basically I have lower abdominal pain and awareness of 'air movement' there and in my colon. When I sit I feel pressure which appears to be on my prostate (which is not enlarged) that seems to want to push seminal fluid into my urethra.
    I have never had any previous medical problems at all and my doctor described me as a conundrum and is still pointing towards IBS-C. Can such a 'flare up' last for three months ??. I have been referred to a gastroenterologist who will advise me of possible allergies and intolerances so I am trying a gluten free diet and cutting out a lot of dairy products to see if that helps.
    If anyone has experienced similar symptoms or can offer advice I would be most grateful. There is nothing worse than the medical profession telling you how healthy you are blood and scan wise and yet there is constant pain and discomfort
    I have not had one single day or night since early December when I have had any relief from this condition. All help appreciated....

Last edited by Borodin55; 03-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Borodin55:
    yayagirl (03-14-2019)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Digestive 'conundrum'

Dear Borodin,

Yes I do first hand know what it's like for the medical profession to find nothing wrong. The most helpful info I can give is to say that the medical profession is about medicine. It is NOT about health; ie, just look at the list of side effects of most prescription medications. I am grateful for antibiotics when I have a raging bacterial infection. Otherwise, to me, it's buyer beware. At least we need to be Aware.

So, take it as a good sign that doctors found nothing wrong. That doesn't mean your body is in a healthy balance. All it means is they can't find what is wrong. The digestive system needs balance to work properly. We can cause problems by taking a substance or eating something that 'disagrees' with us or causes constipation. I found that I had profound constipation after a colonoscopy that a doctor wanted me to have because of my age and no other reason. Really I don't like that reason but I gave in.

The result is that after the procedure I resumed eating as usual, but my body was not cooperating. I became severely constipated no matter what I ate or tried. Plus my body was not digesting the thyroid medication I normally take.

Finally I consulted my natural treatment-believing endocrinologist that told me that likely my digestive tract stopped operating normally due to the cleansing liquid required in order to have the colonoscopy done. He told me to get over the counter pre-biotics and pro-biotics and Australian licorice (Amercian licorice has the medicinal licorice removed and is only 'flavored'), and to use them as directed. If you can get magnesium citrate taking that daily and regularly may assist the gut rebalance as well.

Avoid any known constipating foods for now, including all calcium sources, which is known to constipate. I read to avoid beans, peas, lentils, peanuts, squash, eggplant, peppers, potatoes, and tomatoes, at least until the body is rebalanced.

My digestive tract is not quite normal yet, and I began this regimen two months ago. Getting back to a natural healthy balance takes some time. Sure enough my digestive tract is getting better without medication.

Also, just want to encourage you that when there is stool impaction, extreme forcing must be avoided. That alone could even have caused a 'kink', and usually it would be hard if not impossible for a doctor to detect. You can lay on your back after a hot bath and gently massage your internal organs to help them relax and settle down. Make sure that you drink enough water and that your water is not full of hard minerals, at least until your gut relaxes.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    Borodin55 (03-14-2019)
    Reply Reply