It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Health/Digestive Concerns these past few weeks.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
    MtnDude
    (male)

MtnDude HB User
    Health/Digestive Concerns these past few weeks.

Hello.
    I wanted to reach out on some health concerns i've been having for the past two/three weeks which has spiraled into something thats become the forefront of my mind every single day. I just want to go back to normal. i'm a 38 year old male, 6'4" a bit larger in frame, but i like to ride my bike a number of miles each week and stay active with my family.

Full disclaimer, this past few weeks have been a ride for me physically and mentally. This might be a long-winded post. I am verbose in hopes that someone else out there might have some thoughts or similar experiences that might help me with my puzzle. I'm not sure if there are any pieces that could have contributed to my current state.
    Another disclaimer, I am aware i have health anxiety. Specifically meaning, if i know there is something potentially wrong with my body and its unknown, I tend to stress pretty hard until either things resolve or i get some answers/treatment. If all is fine with my body, i'm fine.. i'm normal.. my anxiety is non-existent. Life is good.

To begin, my health, other than the occasional stress and shift into a new position at work, all seemed to be fine just prior to the end of May 2019. Everything was well and all seemingly normal (which is where I want to get back to)

The last week of May 2019, my wife, while helping with a haircut, spotted a new and odd looking mole on my back under my right shoulder-blade. It looked hideous. Since it was late at night, I called and made an appt with the doctor as soon as i got to work the very next morning (May 29th). The only opening available was Friday May 31st.
    Having this delay worried me. I ended up calling another Dr. i've visited prior for and he had an opening the on Thurs May 30th.

Come May 30th, At the doc appt, the dr. moved quick. He took a look at the mole and said it definitely looked suspicious, can we do a punch biopsy? To which i replied YES, because i wanted this thing off my body.
    During the punch biopsy, the dr. numbed the mole, took a round chunk of tissue and stitched it up. They showed me the mole and i started getting cold, sweaty and nauseated. I felt as though i was going to pass out. I was able to power through it, the nurse gave me some water and I was fine.
    I was told to take Ibuprofen as needed for pain.

Now coming into the weekend, that Friday, Saturday and Sunday I fretted heavily about the results of this mole biopsy. I was guilty of Google'ing things, which helped none.

On that Saturday, June 1, I took some Ibuprofen as my mole removal site had been tender. My wife and I attended a wedding reception within a family members backyard. It was catered with various dishes such as Thai food, smoked brisket, etc. There were some friends of family that roasted a pig for the event. While attending this event, my spirits were down as I could not shake the dread of the forthcoming mole biopsy results. I tried hard to be happy, but i was really sad thinking it could be the worst.

We left the event and other than being bummed out and anxious, I was fine, digestive system-wise.

The next day, Sunday, June 2, got up early and took the wife/kids to a the store, followed by a trip to grab some breakfast at burger king. I had a breakfast croissant and bfast burrito. The burrito seemed a little gross, but i ate the thing anyways. After this less than stellar trip to BK, I took the family to the movies to see new Aladdin. Had sprite and popcorn is all.

That Sunday evening, we BBQ'd hamburgers and had store bought macaroni and potato salads.

I had found a tender lump on the center of my back, just left of the spine. It was sore and i was reminded of it everytime i sat back. This was yet another anxiety trigger as i thought maybe the mole biopsy might have had bacteria that activated a lymph node? Or worse, it could be a malignant things related to mole (this is where my mind was), adding to my ever increasing anxiety.

That Sunday night, while in bed seems to be the starting point to my digestive woes. As i tried to sleep, my entire abdomen churned and groaned very loudly. My stomach hurt. All night and through the morning my abdomen was loud and achy.

That Monday (June 3) I awoke to terrible diarrhea. Pure yellow liquid. I had gone probably 10 times that day. I made an appt with my Dr. and i was able to get in the same day.
    I explained the concern i had for the tender bump on my back and my GI issues. He told me "by the way, we got results for your mole, it was benign".
    I felt a huge weight of relief. However i still had this bump on my back and GI problems. He said the GI stuff could just be a bug and should be gone in a couple days. The bump on my back was a harmless lipoma, and that i was fine "you're going to live". It was obvious i was really anxious. I continued asking questions so he said "lets get some blood tests". They then took a bunch of blood for a cbc and metabolic panel.

That Tuesday, June 4th, I woke in the middle of the night with diarrhea and overall stomach pains and cramps. All over... Also, still had tender lump on back. Once again, i googled this supposed lipoma and learned there is such a thing as a Sarcoma. As you can imagine, this caused more anxiety.
    I also was able to see my blood test results. They seemed fine with the exception of two items:
    Lymph = 17.2 % with normal being 18%-45%.
    Neut, Auto = 75.1 with normal range being 42-72

Of course, I google this and find results eluding these off results in correlation with a C-word disease. I make another doc appt, which i was able to get into same day.

While in this doc appt, i am assured that these off results are fine. Things shift all of the time and this was just a glimpse when these were off. I was told could have been related to an infection or stress. The stress/anxiety I am certain of.
    I continue to mention my GI Issues, and the concern for the bump on my back. Because of my diarrhea and abdominal issues, i've not been able to eat very well. Afraid to eat anything bad.
    The doc scheduled a CT scan of my pelvis and abdomen and a stool sample.

Fast forward a few days, i had my CT scan and my stool sample had been reviewed.
    I was able to see that my CT scan had been reviewed by radiologist and I was able to see the report. Once again, there were some concerning things here.

My stool sample was negative for Giardia, No Salmonella, Shigella or Campylobacter isolated and No Plesiomonas, Aeromonas or Vibrio isolated. I was really hoping that some bug would be found so we could treat it and I could move on.

On to the CT findings, I was concerned with what I saw with the report, i called my Dr office for my docs interpretations. Basically there were incidental findings, but nothing requiring any concern or followup. Within the same call, i made an appt with my doc to discuss these findings, which were:

FINDINGS:

There is no marker device localizing a mass. No discernible lump
    or mass appreciated posteriorly.

Lower chest: Small pleural-based the densities seen along the
    major fissure on the LEFT measuring 5 mm in size.

Liver: 4 mm hypodense lesion in the RIGHT hepatic lobe. There is
    a 4 mm hypodensity in the subcutaneous capsular location of the
    posterior RIGHT hepatic lobe image 30.

Pancreas: Unremarkable. .

Gallbladder: Normal, partially contracted.

Biliary system: Unremarkable.

Spleen: Unremarkable.

Adrenal glands: Normal

Kidneys, ureters, and urinary bladder: Small area of cortical
    thinning in the upper pole of the LEFT kidney most consistent
    with a small scar. Lymph nodes multiple small retroperitoneal
    nodes are seen in the periaortic and aortocaval regions. One of
    the larger nodes is seen on image 69 measuring 7 mm in short
    axis.

Lymph nodes: Unremarkable.

Bowel: Normal .

Appendix: Normal.

Reproductive organs: Normal.

Pelvic free fluid or ascites: None

Vessels: Normal.

Osseous structures: Degenerative disc changes are seen at the
    L5-S1 level.

Other: None

IMPRESSION:
    1. No longer identified the posteriorly.

2. Small hypodensities within the liver are too small to
    definitively characterize, likely representing cysts.

3. Mildly prominent lymph nodes in the retroperitoneum
    measuring up to 7 mm in short axis which is within normal size.

When I made it into the doc, he read the findings to me and said they were fine. These things are found all the time in adults around my age and its common. No issues needing to be followed up on. I still felt very uneasy. I feel as though he thinks i'm a hypochondriac and he downplays any of my concerns.
    With these results on my CT, it seemed like we might explore things further, but he says its a waste of money and that i'm fine.
    I left the doc appt anxious and nervous.

The next day, I received a call from the GI doc office to schedule EGD and Colonoscopy. The soonest they could schedule my appt was 2-weeks out on June 24th.

Fast forward to June 10th.... I return to the docs office to get the stitches removed from the mole that was removed. I expressed that my GI issues have persisted. I've had yellow stools with tons of mucous. Sometimes having to go once or twice a day, but also waking up in the middle of the night having to go. He said we'd wait and see what The GI procedures would find.
    Throughout this ordeal, i've lost 13lbs in 2 weeks from not eating. I have anxiety every time i go to the bathroom now because I just want a normal stool, but its always yellow, loose or liquid and mucousy. There are times where i am convinced that I have pancreatic, or colon, or liver cancer.
    I've ended up having to take half a xanax from an old prescription i've hung on to which has calmed my anxiousness.

As it is now, I have been going day by day, sticking to bland food like rice, crackers, water, toast/bread, etc. I've even bought some ensure to make sure i get more calories as i've only been getting 5-700 calories a day. My stomach/intestines dont quite hurt as bad as they did, but I continue to have dreaded loose stools or diarrhea once or twice a day. Still yellow and mucous. All which i have read can be associated with serious issues like IBS/IBD/Cancer, etc..
    Not knowing what is going on and waiting has been the worst throughout this ordeal.
    Normally i'm a laid back, normal guy, husband, father. Since the beginning of all this, i have just been lost. Times of doom, gloom, dread, thinking the worst is inside me making me feel this way and my children will be fatherless in 6 months. I know its stupid and i shouldnt think these things. My wife has been so supporting and i know she feels helpless, but sometimes it just helps me to talk.

I had a few days where I had a really sore throat. Glands swollen on one side of my neck and back, body aches and pains. These symptoms subsided to some respiratory congestion and cough. This was an added layer of unknowing what was going on in my body. Adding to the fear and axiety.

Conversely, this gut issue seemed to just happen suddenly, so i cant help to rationalize it being possibly associated with anxiety, or ibuprofen, or a bug from some food. In my searches i've found that diarrhea lasting longer that 2 weeks can be a concern.... which concerns me. Only medication other than over the counter i take is Losartan for HBP, which i've been on for 5+ years. I've found instances online where people have reported sudden persistent diarrhea. I wonder if this could be contributing.

This past weekend, my family attended the wedding of my wife's family. I didnt want to go, but I knew if I was left alone at home, my mind would be fixated on my gut issues and i'd be hitting google, freaking myself out. I took .25 of xanax and went to the wedding. It was fun, it was uplifting and it helped me to think about other things. There were a couple of occasions where i was holding my 5 year old daughter or watching my two boys where i had a hard time not holding in my tears. It was just the whole event coupled with these past few weeks that were choking me up. I still get moments where i feel that I may not be here in 6 months. I dont know why i think these things.

At this moment, I want nothing more than for a doctor to do a little more checking to determine that I DO NOT have a terminal disease. I want nothing more than to go back to normal. These past few weeks have been hell.

I wake once or twice every night and my mind just starts racing about my symptoms and anticipating when i'll have to go to the bathroom again, will it be diarrhea? I get anxiety going to the bathroom. I know it doesnt help.

Yesterday being fathers day, i didnt take any medications. My mood was fairly stable. No Xanax. My family wanted to do something big for lunch and dinner. Because of my gut issues, this had me sad a bit as I would have loved to enjoy these times. We ended up going out to eat and I ended up getting a sandwich from Jimmy Johns. I ate the entire thing. We then went shopping. I could feel the sandwich in my gut then processing. I got reallllly tired as we were shopping. But this one sandwich had about as many calories as I had been consuming each day prior. The bump that doc thought was a lipoma on my back has disappeared. I am thinking this was a swole lymph node from the stitches i had on my back?

My CT scan results and everything that has happened these past couple weeks have still been floating in my head. I have an appt with another doc i used to see that I highly respect scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. I want to run these events past him and get his take. I'm interested to see how this will go.

I then have my EGD and Colonoscopy on Monday 6/24. I'm excited for it, but also really nervous that something sinister might be uncovered.

If you've read this far, i commend you. Thank you. I know there are a lot of things that i could have left out, but really, as i mentioned, never know if something could be a part of the puzzle i've overlooked.

I hope for nothing more than to be soon out of this funk back to normal with my active self and my family. I want nothing more than to put this behind me and to be able to eat what I would like. I hope this is still just a stomach bug. Or just gastritis? Can Gastritis cause weeks of yellow stools?

I will update with findings from my 2nd opinion doc appt tomorrow and from my scopes.

Thanks again for reading all of my thoughts and my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Health/Digestive Concerns these past few weeks.

Dear MtnDude,

I have many moles and skin growth, some have been removed and all have been checked. They are benign. You have a very patient doctor that is willing to check you out thoroughly. He did, and nothing at all is significantly wrong.

It doesn't seem that you need to go back to what is normal for you, because your severe anxiety affects your digestion. Anxiety negatively impacts my digestion, too. Anxiety doesn't equal disease.

I really do think you need to be seriously discerning about what and when you eat and drink. And, to put a check on your imagination. Use it for something creative, rather than torturing yourself with fears and worries. Maybe some counseling would help

Old 06-18-2019, 05:23 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi. first of all, be aware that digestive disorders can come from stress and anxiety... the more the body is stressed, the more the bowel moves- and in many cases becomes diarrhea. You know you have health anxiety- so you should also know that some of your digestive problems are being brought on because of this.

Digestive cancers do not come on "all the sudden'. They take YEARS to develop and they are all 100% curable if caught in time. If there is anything to worry about during your EGD and Colonoscopy, it will be taken care of at that time and it will be over... stop worrying!

As far as the CT results, this is a normal report. All of us get degenerative issues as we age and they are noted on the report; however, all of the "unremarkable" areas are normal.

My suggestion to you is that you go see someone about this health anxiety and get on the proper medication or therapy to deal with it. You are "crying wolf" and its not that you can help it, but you need to learn better how to deal with it. Running to your doctor for every little thing is going to hurt your relationship with the medical professionals eventually. You want to save this for when you are really sick... you were right to get the mole checked out- but now you know it was nothing..relax.

If Xanax worked to calm you down, then you should visit a health professional who can prescribe this for you; however, being dependent on drugs is not a good long term solution. Therapy is what you should probably investigate.

I am sorry you are going through all this. I can only imagine how stressful it must be to live like this...but please remember your anxiety and stress is causing many of your health issues...getting one under control will help solve the other. Good luck with your GI tests. I am certain they will show nothing .

Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
    MtnDude
    (male)

MtnDude HB User

Yayagirl and MSNik - Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The funny thing is that I'm normally a laid-back person. I did have a stint with anxiety and panic back in 2007. It lasted a couple months and i did get gastritis and a slew of other things throughout this time mainly because I had absolutely no idea what was going on in my body. After a couple months, a couple ER visits and a few different types of meds (HBP, etc), I was feeling mostly back to "normal", with the exception that my blood pressure would shoot up whenever I was having my bloodpressure checked in a doctors office.

This most recent "scare" might've triggered something? I am a technical person by nature as in i like to know how everything works, i have a technical job and I am often fixing things. If something is broke, i like learning how it works, diagnose and fix it. I am "Mr. Fix It" to family and friends.
    When comes to the body and something is just seemingly not right, I think I tend to just naturally take the same approach as in "something is wrong, what is it, how do i fix it". Typically the answer is Dr's. When those answers are not materializing, or there is a delay in answers, that is when anxiety builds.

At the same moment i try to think rationally, theres also this other voice... The voice of terror inside that scrambles to rule out sinister issues. "What if it is something....? That feeling of panic and the need to act quickly because if it is something, we can catch it early and be saved.

My fathers side of the family has a history of cancer. My fathers parents(gparents), my fathers sister (aunt) and my father all lost their lives to differing forms of cancer. I think this sits in the back of my mind and triggers anytime something feels "off". I also try to think rationally about it, as in, they all were heavy smokers. Also, i have siblings from fathers side that haven't had any issues, to my knowledge. My father left when I was really young (3 or 4 years old), but I remember my mom telling me when I was younger that my dad had ulcers and had to have part of his bowels removed.

I did visit my main GP yesterday. I voiced all of my concerns and he was great at taking the time to review everything and give his interpretation. Ultimately he said he thinks its a big, nasty virus or bug that wasnt tested for with stool sample, but the colonoscopy/EGD is definitely the best next step to help identify any potential issues as they take biopsies, etc.

I dont know what it is, but i wish i could just turn this nervous/anxiety switch "off". I wake in the middle of the night or very early at each morning thinking of new ailments or something that couldve been missed. This morning for instance, i woke at 4am thinking maybe my gut issues are a tapeworm and larvae/eggs could spread to my brain and liver, etc. I know, it's dumb. I long for the ability to just sleep-in and wake rested with my only worry being what is my family and I going to eat for breakfast and what fun things are we going to be doing for the day.

About a year prior to this, i've had a heightened sense of mortality. Normally i dont worry about this stuff, but its been a bit in the forefront of my mind. For the longest time, i've felt like a 19-year old physically, I used to feel big, strong and capable of anything. Had that self-confidence and drive to be "ready for anything". As of the past year or so, i'm feeling old, less energy and worrying about "how much longer do I really have"?

My wife has had thyroid cancer (6 years remission), my mom has heart failure, my brother died of cirrhosis at 52 a couple years ago (alcohol), my other brother was diagnosed with severe heart blockages at 49 and had CABG (a couple years ago). Myself being the baby of the family.. (12 years younger than next youngest sibling), I get to watch people I love experience all of these ailments. That also takes a toll mentally, i think and contributes slowly to my anxiety triggers. My moms side of family has history of depression and bi-polar. I've never been checked to my knowledge. Wonder if this could be manifesting in me??

Id hate to chalk all of my recent issues up to being caused mentally. I feel 100% like something physical is not right.
    Maybe I do need to see a therapist if this EGD/Scope doesn't yield anything concrete.

Thank you all again. I will update after scope findings.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear MtnDude,

Anxiety can eat us alive. I know it feels terrible, like we need to fix something fast!
    I am a fix it type of person, myself. But a living body is not a mechanical machine. There are often some things we can do differently and get by OK. Some other things cannot be resolved and we need to relax and live with them as long as possible.

This stuff is just life. Life is beautiful, messy, scary, thrilling, as well as often also boring.
    Hon, really, find something else to dwell on. The 'what if' question has no real answer.

IF and WHEN something dire happens, you will know it, and you will do like what you do about other issues - figure out what can and what cannot be done and you will make choices.

That is all anyone can do.
    But to imagine the worst with no clear reason is you letting your imagination go wild.
    You know what it takes to fix something. You look at the facts.

Anxiety requires no basis of fact.
    That is the cue to ignore it and dwell on something else.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:24 AM   #6
    Melissaadore
    (female)

Melissaadore HB User

Hello. Iíve read everything you posted and just wanted to give you some insight. I too suffer from debilitating anxiety when it comes to my health. Iíve had some similar digestive issues lately like you. Yellow diarrhea for months now. Blood work with no answers except elevated inflammation. Also nausea and pain after eating everything. Iíve also lost 15 pounds since March simply from not eating.
    I feel for you. Waking up everyday and trying to sleep while feeling like utter crap really is a burden on your mind and anxiety. You will do anything and everything you can to try to get back to normal. I know all of this because Iím currently living it too. Iíve been fighting my digestive issues for 15 years now.
    BUT there was a glimmer of hope recently. On Monday June 10th I finally did a colonoscopy and upper egd. I have never been more prepared and excited for a procedure in my life. The prep was hard simply because you fast all day so by the time you start drinking and going youíre exhausted. The scope is simple. I was completely knocked out and didnít remember a thing. But I was so ready to hear answers... they took four biopsyís and one of mine showed sibo. I have to do a breath test to 100% confirm this.
    So on top of severe IBS... I now might be dealing with this and feel a little more hopeful that I can start a road to recovery maybe. But it also took 15 years of dealing with this to get any type of answers really.
    If you donít get answers during your scopes donít give up. It might take a longggg time before you can get peace of mind. I agree with the posters when they say that stress will make it worse. Stress really is the root of all evil. It can make your body do crazy and unimaginable things. But I stress more when someone tells me not to and maybe there version of stress is different from ours but when I feel completely overwhelmed I try to take or bath or watch a movie, play with my cat or anything I can think of that might bring my stress levels down a bit. Anxiety is the worse thing ever. We all deal with it in different ways and my advice to you is just find a way that fits you best to try to handle it.
    Now that you know you are getting your scopes done try to relax til then. Try to ease your mine in knowing that answers may be coming and even if they donít find anything you can then rule out other things that are bothering you too like colon cancer and such.
    If you need any more advice or just wanna talk more about it Iíll be here to respond. Good luck !

Old 06-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #7
    MtnDude
    (male)

MtnDude HB User

Hi yayagirl: Thank you for your words. I wholly agree that anxiety is the worst. I know i just need to focus on other things. Soooo difficult when everything feels "off".

Hi Melissaadore: Thanks for reading and responding. Sounds like you have been on quite the rollercoaster of trying to nail-down the ailments you've been experiencing. I'm happy that you've had some recent breakthroughs. Once part of that puzzle is found, treatment can begin. Hope things improve for you quick.

I just wanted to check in. I feel a bit better when i can write out my concerns. Day before yesterday (Wed), i had a gnawing, burning in my mid-abdomen area. Felt better when i ate. I also feel aches in left side and lower abdomen.
    Hate having to wake up in middle of night, early morning having to go bathroom. Trying to find something to eat that won't make me feel bad has been challenging. I'm wondering if i have gastritis. It made it challenging to focus when i was at work. I read some things on peoples experience with gastritis and ended buying some nexium to see if that helps.

Yesterday seemed to be an OK day overall, as my stomach wasnt that terrible. I ate a number of things testing stuff, and hadnt had any bad pains. I wonder if nexium is helping other than dry mouth at night.
    I now have swollen lymph node in neck and white patches on left tonsil. Not sure what this is all about. It started yesterday, but today is when i noticed the white patch on left tonsil.

Moments like yesterday, i felt almost fine. Today i feel uneasy and nervous. I cant help but let my mind wander thinking there is something in my guts that is severe and i worry my days are numbered and i wont be able to watch my kids grow.
    I know, it sounds pathetic. I'm down 17 lbs since June 2. I look at pictures and things from a month or two ago and wish I could go back to that time when i didnt have this stuff going on. I'm bummed out, but i try to be happy for my kids. I ate just spaghetti noodles last night, while my family had spaghetti with all fixins. I so wanted to eat it all up, but settled for just noodles. I used to be able to eat and drink anything i wanted. I wonder if the spaghetti hurt my stomach last night.

I'm wanting nothing more than to get past these ailments... Wanting a normal BM, Wanting to be able to have a full nights sleep and be able to wake up and look forward to a weekend with my family trying to find fun things to do. As it is now, i dont feel up to doing anything. First day of summer and people are making plans and inviting us. I feel so limited since i feel i can't eat or i dont feel good enough to attend these things. Adds to the bummed out feeling. I would love to share a pizza with my family.

My scope/egd is coming up Monday. Part of me is really excited hoping there will be something found that is treatable. The other part of me is dreading that either they'll find something untreatable/terminal or they'll find nothing perpetuating this discovery process.

There has to be something going on inside for how cruddy my guts feel, and my overall body feels. I dont doubt part of it is in my head. Still feels so recent (all going on just since June 2), but its getting old. I realize this is nothing compared to what others have endured. Not knowing what is going on is very difficult. I'm a dweller and need to stop, i know. But i get these ideas that pop in my head for various ailments then by reflex i'm throwing these items in google search bar in my phone. My wife even tells me to "Stop it!". I know better.

Anyways, as mentioned, it feels a little better when I can voice whats in my head. I talk to my wife. I know she cares but i think she gets annoyed, worries and feels like she wants to help but she just doesnt know how.
    Thanks again for letting me get these thoughts out.
    Wishing you all the best!

Old 06-22-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The thing is, MtnDude, that how we feel comes from what we dwell on. It seems like the thoughts have a life of their own, but years ago when I was a literal anxiety wreck a friend taught me that the mind cannot dwell on two things at once. If we think of an apple we cannot think about an orange at the same time (unless we think of a bowl of a variety of fruit).

If we think about the things in life that work out and our successes, we are not overcome with morose emotions about our defeats. It just is not possible to dwell on the positives and negatives at the same time. We can deal with fear and not allow it to control our every thought. We can think about solutions, or what worked in the past. Writing things out can help a great deal.

Another thing, what I eat makes a huge difference. I tend to having an acidic stomach, which makes me feel anxious which feels exactly like worry feels.

I don't always do it, but I need to be careful what I eat, how much, and when. Do you think that might be helpful to you?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
    MtnDude
    (male)

MtnDude HB User

yayagirl - I understand the feedback loop mechanism. Feeling symptoms, not sure whats happening or when will end, etc. The symptoms feed the anxiety. Anxiety adds the symptoms until spirals out of control. Dwelling does no good. I've been working to focus on other things.

I have to say, yesterday I woke only a couple times throughout the night but was able to get back to sleep. Got up at 7:30am. Had to have a loose bm as soon as i got up. Throughout the day, we had to do some running around (couple grocery stores, pull some weeds, couple other stops).

In general my stomach/guts were feeling a bit better yesterday aside from some weird pains in lower-left abdomen. Continued eating bland (bread, crackers, ramen, water.)

last night i slept ok. Woke a couple times, and was able to get back to sleep. got up 7:30am this morning. Didnt wake at 3, ,or 4, or 5 and stay awake all night! Hadnt had to go to the bathroom yet today.
    My stomach/guts seem to be feeling better. Have some back aches as I think i've been slouching a lot lately. I've watched more TV the past 3 weeks than i usually do in an entire year. I think my posture due to uncomfortable couches might be causing sore back. I have some other weird aches, which i wonder could be related to losing so much weight in such little amount of time. (~19 lbs in 22 days.)

Either way, I think i'm starting to feel better. This has me sooo excited. I'm hoping stools get back to normal soon, but not having to go immediately upon waking has been great.

The odd thing is the timing. Just as things seem to be improving, i need to disrupt it as today I need to prep for EGD/Scope tomorrow afternoon.

Now, i just dont know what caused all of this. I keep reflecting. Not sure if was extreme anxiety over that weekend from the mole biopsy, or the ibuprofen i took for the pain from the stitches i got from biopsy, or maybe I got a nasty bug that is just now resolving? No idea. Maybe scope/egd will answer this, then again maybe not. Would love to know what the cause was.
    Regardless, i'm happier today.
    I will post back EGD/Scope findings.
    Thanks for everyone reading this thread. And thanks to everyone for providing input.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
    MtnDude
    (male)

MtnDude HB User

Hi everyone...
    Was a rough evening with the Suprep bowel prep.
    Bubbly guts and stress about colonosopy/EGD left me without much sleep.

Anxiety ran high all the way until they administered the pain med and anesthesia. It was the best sleep and i felt so good after i woke. Until it wore off of course.
    Dr. basically said nothing major was found. Some gastritis was evident. He mentioned could've been related to ibuprofen I was taking or an infection which he'd taken biopsies for.

These were the findings:

FINDINGS:
    Terminal Ileum:The terminal ileum was intubated for 5 cm, noted mild erythema in the distal ileum, biopsies taken
    Colon: Normal colon with no noted polyps, masses or lesions. Mild left-sided diverticulosis. Random colon biopsies
    taken given symptoms
    Rectum:The rectal mucosa was carefully inspected and was unremarkable. There were no ulcers or erosions or signs
    of inflammatory disease. Small, grade 1 internal hemorrhoids were present.
    Esophagus:Normal esophagus and GE junction. No ulcers, erosions, stricturing. No hiatal hernia. Normal mucosa.
    Stomach: Mild antral gastritis, multiple gastric biopsies to rule out H. pylori given symptoms
    Duodenum:The duodenum had erythema/inflammation, no ulcers or erosions. Biopsies taken given symptoms, rule
    out celiac disease

POST-PROCEDURE:
    Complications: None
    Estimated blood loss:None
    Specimens: As above
    Devices/implants: None.

IMPRESSION: _
    Mild distal ileal erythema, biopsies taken
    Normal colon, biopsies taken given symptoms
    Grade 1 internal hemorrhoids
    Normal Esophagus
    Mild antral gastritis, biopsies taken to rule out H. pylori given symptoms
    Duodenitis, biopsied to rule out celiac disease given symptoms

Once the pain medicine wore off, i'm back to stomach aches, headache and aches from being so tense and sitting in weird positions the past week or so.

Hoping this goes away completely. I thought of asking for some carafate/sucralfate. For now, a little tylenol will work have to do.
    Anyone see anything out of the ordinary??
    thanks in advance!

Old 06-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
    janld
    (female)

janld HB User

I am so thankful you received a very good report today. I have had anxiety all my life regarding my health. I can't tell you how many doctors I have gotten off the table to hug when they told me everything was normal and ok. One got snippy with me and told me he didn't appreciate how I doubted him. I can build a fatal heart attack from a gas pain! It's sad to live a life like this...takes the joy away from all the blessings I receive. I am a widow and live alone and that makes it worse...before my husband passed away, he could always pull me out of anxiety and depression. I believe after all the tests you have had with great results slowly you will get your life back. I think you owe your family a new husband and father...enjoy them my friend. God Bless.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-24-2019 at 11:03 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to janld For This Useful Post:
    MtnDude (06-28-2019)
    Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 AM   #12
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dear MtnDude,

I am sure that you are not helping yourself by using drugs that are known to cause stomach distress. I have digestive issues too, since birth I have a weak stomach, but those pain drugs are proven to have an undesirable effect on the GI system.

Unless there is a reason and I mean a reason, to suspect cancer, I don't plan to have another colonoscopy. That strips the body of the natural friendly bacterial colony that is necessary for healthy digestion. It is not easy to get that delicate balance back, I can tell you.

I began having severe indigestion and headaches, after my colonoscopy, in which nothing out of the ordinary was found, and it took almost a year to get my digestive system back even close to normal. And, it is not normal yet. My endocrinologist recommended taking pure licorice drops (found at a health food store) and probiotics and even so like I said it took almost a year to get my gut somewhat back to normal.

Fear and negative emotions tear my gut up. Is that part of your problem, also? For that take 'B 100' vitamins, and make sure that you eat a healthy diet and get enough rest. I can't stress it enough that you need to take care of your health, which includes telling yourself the truth.

Do the healthy things you can do to help your self. Throw fear out the door. All you get from fear is ulcers and medication will not fix it.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-25-2019 at 09:42 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to yayagirl:
    janld (06-25-2019)
    The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    MtnDude (06-28-2019)
    Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
    janld
    (female)

janld HB User

Yayagirl....know what? Your posts also help me...I love your attitude and your contributions to the Health Board. God Bless you.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
    MtnDude
    (male)

MtnDude HB User

Thanks Janld and Yayagirl!

I received some biopsy results from scope. Everything seemed normal/benign. The only notable item was "prominent lymphoid follicles" which they interpreted as something fighting infection. Since there wasnt anything obvious, the gastro doc wants me to have a special intestinal MRI to see small intestines, which is to be scheduled soon.

Since this all began June 2, i've been having other symptoms. Tiredness, cant sleep, wake in the middle of the night, body aches, random pains, headaches, etc.

Since i was focused on healing the stomach issues and getting back to normal, i read that Nexium could help with the stomach issues and possibly speed up healing there.

I bought some nexium at the store and started that night. I woke up the next morning and my stomach was feeling better, but i did have some dry mouth.
    I took again that night and i woke even worse dry mouth and a pain/tenderness in the left side of my neck under my jaw.
    Read that Nexium can definitely cause dry mouth as a side effect. I opted to stop taking nexium. After a couple days, my dry mouth subsided slightly, but not back to normal. I continued to have neck, back, head pains and random hand, arm, leg pains. I woke up the other morning (Tuesday this week) to really dry eyes.
    I've since had dry mouth while sleeping, dry eyes, dry sinuses and dry coughing.
    I've gone back to my primary Dr. yesteday and tried explaining what was going on. He was short with his answers and didnt seem too concerned. He thinks i'm OK and I feel he thinks i'm wasting everyones time. After some gentile nudging from me, he elected to do some blood work and send me with a script for muscle relaxers as he thinks i just have muscle tension and tension headaches.

Regarding the blood test, these are the results:
    ESR: 2 mm/hr (Normal is 0-15 mm/hr)
    UricAcid: 7.0 mg/dL (Normal is 3.5-8.5 mg/dL)
    Vitamin D 25 OH: 19 ng/mL (Normal is 30-80 ng/mL)
    CRP (not forCV risk): 0.1 mg/dL2 (Normal is 0.0-1.0 mg/dL)
    CyclicCitrul Peptide Ab,IgG: <0.5 unit/mL (Normal is <5.0 unit/mL)
    Rheumatoid Factor: <15 IntlUnit/mL (Normal is <15 IntlUnit/mL)

I was happy to see that the biggest out of range (low) item was vitamin D (19), which can contribute so the pain issues i've been feeling
    But what is concerning to me is there are a couple that are on the border (RF & CCPeptide). That plus the symptoms i've been having with drymouth, dry eyes, fatigue, tender salivary left gland and everything else drying out, i'm worried i might be dealing with an autoimmune type of disorder. I hate to diagnose myself, but things seem to align with a specific syndrome (possibly sjogrens?)

I have the feeling my doc might say blood test is in range, take some vitamin D supplements, you're fine.
    It looks like to rule things out, i might need to be seen by a specialist for more testing. Im hoping we can push it to a rheumatologist to find out for sure.

I was really hopeful i might just have a bacteria or virus in my saliva gland that would eventually go away, but with the dry eyes too, i'm a little nervous. Could it be possible for Nexium to trigger some sort of immune response? I didnt have any dry mouth or eyes issues until i took that for two days. Maybe coincidence? Maybe something else? Could be related to the colonoscopy/egd? Side-effect of something else?

I was thinking maybe since i had lost so much weight (22 lbs since June 2nd (not eating with gastritis issues)) it could've been lactic acid or some acid build up causing aches pains/ailments from muscle wasting?. I'm just looking for anything to get back to normal, or how I felt in May which was pretty normal. June is when it seems everything went downhill suddenly and i'm trying to get back to normal.

I'll be posting to another forum to get some thoughts there.

Hoping for the best. Thanks everyone for reading!!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
    MtnDude
    (male)

MtnDude HB User

I know - i just posted - Trying to be rational - Again, taking into account my anxiety and lack of sleep. I'm thinking of other possibilities....

Im wondering- Since having these gastro issues, could it be possible that i'm just super dehydrated? my sweating has been "off" lately, my arms and skin is really dry. Scalp is dry, etc.. I wonder with the vitamin d deficiency, maybe i could be having malabsorption issues with other vitamins? possibly absorption issues with water?

Could this be possible? I know i should be asking my dr. I asked him the question yesterday if I might be missing some nutrients with my gut issues as of late and he said he did run the tests already and they were fine, but this was early on in the process just as we were trying to get things figured out. I wonder if things could've changed since then?

Im tempted to see another doctor. First im drinking more and more water to see if that helps. Wanted to get some thoughts on possibility of malabsorbtion?

Reply Reply