It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Helicobacter Pylori (H. Pylori) bacteria

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-01-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
    pluma443
    (male)

pluma443 HB User
    Helicobacter Pylori (H. Pylori) bacteria

Hi All; I have a family member who has just been diagnosed with a bacteria called Helicobacter Pylori. The treatment is 2 months of intense antibiotics and strict diet to kill this stomach bacteria. After some google research I am amazed to find that it is contagious and about 2/3 of the world population have this bacteria in the system, however in most cases it never manifests itself and one may never know they have it unless they start having stomach problems. Why have I never heard of this bacteria in all My 83 years and has anyone else reading this ever had it or any information on it? Because the bacteria seems to live in the saliva & semen it was necessary for the entire family to be blood tested, both the Husband & wife tested positive and the 3 children negative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Helicobacter Pylori (H. Pylori) bacteria

Hi...I am aware that the treatment is usually for 2 weeks consisting of 2 antibiotics and a PPI Omeprazole. I've not heard of a 2 month treatment, unless it's to remain on the PPI for a while afterward.

The recognition of H. Pylori has been in the news for a long while as a cause of stomach ulcers. A great finding!
    My husband had serious stomach/gut discomfort, tested positive for it and did the 2 week treatment. I tested 3 times negative, thankfully.

I hope your family members do well on the treatment. I strongly suggest an enteric coated probiotic for them to take so their gut is protected in case of c.difficile.

q

Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
    pluma443
    (male)

pluma443 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Hi...I am aware that the treatment is usually for 2 weeks consisting of 2 antibiotics and a PPI Omeprazole. I've not heard of a 2 month treatment, unless it's to remain on the PPI for a while afterward.

The recognition of H. Pylori has been in the news for a long while as a cause of stomach ulcers. A great finding!
    My husband had serious stomach/gut discomfort, tested positive for it and did the 2 week treatment. I tested 3 times negative, thankfully.

I hope your family members do well on the treatment. I strongly suggest an enteric coated probiotic for them to take so their gut is protected in case of c.difficile.

q
    Hi Quincy; thanx for the reply, I probably have never heard of it because I've lived in Honduras for many years and only return to US once a year to visit friends & family. The treatment We are following is in 3 different phases for approx 2 months. right now for 10s days treatment is as follows:
    at breakfast 1 omeprazole 40mg, 1 Levofloxacin 500 mg, 2 Amoxicilin 500 mg....this is repeated at the evening meal. that is 8 capsules a day.
    That treatment is to kill the bacteria and in 10 days return to Doctor for next phase of treatment to repair any possible damage to the stomach caused by the bacteria to avoid possible ulcer or even stomach cancer in the future.
    What horrified Me is the vast amount of mg's of antibiotic taken each day, but I guess It must be a strong bacteria. Thank You again for Your reply and I'm happy for You that You didn't get it. Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

The antibiotics are only for a short time. The Omeprazole is to keep the stomach at a less acidic level where it's hard for the h.pylori to remain strong and resistant to the antibiotics.

This is a destructive bacteria and can remain in some patients for years, so intent to have it dealt with completely is important. I know of one man who it remained for 10 years. He was a hardcore smoker, smoking increases acidity in the stomach... I suspect it possibly hindered the efficacy of the omeprazole and left a lingering but stronger h.pylori bacteria each time of treatment. Last I talked with him a year ago, he was declared h.pylori free.

I'm curious if your family members have or will have upper endoscopies done to make sure there are no ulcers?

I hope all goes well with treatment..

q

Old 08-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
    pluma443
    (male)

pluma443 HB User

Hi Quincy; He is 37 years old and a non smoker and has had the stomach symptoms for less than 3 months.His wife has no symptoms at this time. The symptoms do seem to be what I have read online regarding the H. Pylori. We do have a Gastro Dr. here He has treated patients with this bacteria My concern was with the incredible amount of antibiotic daily but it seems that it is necessary to kill this germ. and yes we will follow up with the after treatment medical work, we do have a fine hospital.
    Thank You again for Your concern, I will follow up with what the next phase of this will be after 10 days on the antibiotics.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-01-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good he was checked for h.pylori.
    I look forward to your update.

I still encourage probiotics to protect the digestive tract from c.difficile. Take them at bedtime 2 hours after the antibiotic.

q

Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
    pluma443
    (male)

pluma443 HB User

I looking in to what We can get here, I think yogurt would be a good probiotic.
    and will ask the Dr. if probiotic tablets are available here.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think one made with higher probiotic count would be best, if it survives through the stomach. You could ask a vitamin store about probiotic capsules...enteric coated is better. Definitely ask your doctor if he/she has suggestions.

q

Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
    pluma443
    (male)

pluma443 HB User

Hi Quincy; The 10 days of antibiotics are over and the stomach does feel better
    Now starts 30 days of the following medicines to repair any stomach irritation due to the antibiotics.
    Zoltum 40 mg 1 tab daily
    Pridac Levosulpiride 25 mg 2 tabs daily
    Gacimex 200 ml suspension
    And then return to the Dr. for consultation.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Great to hear! Sounds as though ulcers were seen?

q

Old 08-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
    pluma443
    (male)

pluma443 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Great to hear! Sounds as though ulcers were seen?

q
    Don't know yet. The antibiotic treatment to kill the bacteria came in a pre-packaged box, 10 day treatment plan Floxa-Pack ES. solely for the treatment of Helicobacter pylori. You can use Your browser, search " Floxa Pack ES".
    It will show a picture of the box and all of the contents and explains all about the Bacteria. very informative for those that (like Me) had never heard of it before. Will keep You informed after this final treatment is over in 30 days.
    Cheers !

Old 08-14-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ohhh, didn't realise there was a special packet available.
    Good to know.

Take good care on the last stint of treatment.

q

Old 10-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
    pluma443
    (male)

pluma443 HB User

Hi all; Good news today re the diagnosis of Helicobacter Pylori back in August. completed the prescribed treatment as outlined in My past entries and today October 9 both Husband & Wife stool lab tests. Negative.
    So relieved !
    Thank You again to "Quincy" for Your valuable knowledge and suggestions.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was wondering how things were going....great to hear the final results are negative!! You did well through the treatment, and now the best news...take good care!

Thanks so much for the update,
    q

The following user gives a hug of support to quincy:
    pluma443 (10-10-2019)
    The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
    pluma443 (10-10-2019)
    Reply Reply