It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Sharp Chronic pain right side under rib cage.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
    chezp
    (male)

chezp HB User
    Sharp Chronic pain right side under rib cage.

I am 49 years old. I'm 6 feet , was 187 pounds (now 173) I eat normally. For years, not much fried food, alcohol once a week, none smoker, in good health. I usually eat a salad for lunch, an apple at 5 pm and a light diner. On my last checkup, my cholesterol was on the verge of being too high so I stopped eating fried foods and started eating walnuts. I never go to fast foods of any kind and eat lots of veggies.

Since I've been 18 years old I've had this chronic pain (once every month or 2) on the right side of my body, right below the rib cage about centered between the center of my body and the side. If I put my hands on both sides, I can feel a little swelling when it's happening.

I used to associate it to stress but now a days I associate it to digestion.

It usually starts creeping up in the afternoon (so after lunch) and will start hurting around 8 or 9 pm then be full blown sharp pain from 11 pm to 2 or 3 in the morning. I usually sit and watch TV (distraction) in the fetus position while holding a cushion against my belly. I will usually have a metallic taste and smell coming out of my mouth.
    If I have diner it will be stronger and last longer.
    If I vomit, it will be shorter with less pain. (I can only do this when I've had a big diner and notice the pain creeping up fast)
    When I burp it seems to take away the pain for a few minutes but it doesn't kill it.
    I can't lay on my stomach or it gets sharper. I wait all night until it passes.
    The next day my stool is black and I won't feel like eating until the evening and lightly.

I have seen a doctor (gastrologist) for this, he did an ultra sound and said I had a Fatty liver and it had to be IBS. Thank you good bye. So I started eating walnuts and stopped eating fried foods alltogether.

I have always associated this to having too much gas after eating in my stomach but it is clear now that the pain is always in the same position. Gas can't be in the same spot every time, can it?

Last April 2019, I had the strongest crises I have ever had so I got scared and decided to go on a Keto diet. No more sugar, no more alcohol, no more carbs, no more processed foods. At this point, I thought it was my liver. I lost a few pounds (down to 173). I eat better but I still get this chronic pain and the crises are now longer and get more painful to the point of crying. Today I just got my second crises in 2 days. That was a first.

For the first time I turned on tonal relaxing music and starting typing on this forum, feeling good about it and the pain diminished, it's almost gone. Can it be stress alone? I can't believe that. I'm not usually stressed. I'm 49 and no white hair. I work in the music business. It's not work.

I've taken Gas X, I've taken Anti Acid pills 150mg, I've taken 3x 500mg Tylenol pills, nothing works.

I doubt seeing the doctor will help.
    It could be my gallbladder (my mom had hers taken out a while back) it could be my liver (but how do I stop the pain) it could be my pancreas.

What do I need to do in order to figure out what this is?

I hope someone can help here.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2019, 04:20 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Sharp Chronic pain right side under rib cage.

Depending on how long it's been since the u/s you might need another. If that is negative a HIDA Scan would be next. It tests for gallbladder function. Those 2 tests would be definitive for gb issues so would rule it in or out.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

It sounds exactly like either fatty liver OR gallbladder... you said you saw a GI doctor and "thank you. Goodbye"? Why?

Go back to the GI doctor and listen to him... ask for a HIDA scan to check your Gallbladder and stop the Ketone diet until you get this straightened out. A GI doctor will tell you what to eat and what not to eat but keeping your body in a state of ketosis is not smart while you are being diagnosed.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Chezp,

It might be a rare disease called "Vasculitis". It's caused by inflammation of blood vessels and can appear periodically at odd times. When you don't have it they say you're in remission. It can be gone for months and then suddenly appear for seemingly no apparent reason.

It's an autoimmune disease.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #5
    chezp
    (male)

chezp HB User

Thanks for the replies.
    I will definitely check up on the gall bladder test.
    The only reason I wrote hello goodbye about my doc is because he is the one who made me feel that way. As in I did an U/S, I found a fatty liver, you got IBS, thanks you goodbye. That's what he basically said. Deal with your pain.

I will be seeing someone else for this new test.
    And I can do the test anytime right? I don't need to be in pain to see something?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

THat's correct. You drink a solution that causes your gb to try to function. Then the test measures your "ejection fraction" which is the % of effort it takes to spew the bile to digest the fat you have eaten. Anything below 35% or above 75% is considered non functioning...

Old 08-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

No, you can do the test anytime...but please be aware that if your GB is going bad- you want it out before too long. Like an appendix, it can rupture- and if it does, it can be very serious.

So get the test done as soon as you can do so. At least it will help you rule out GB if it is normal...

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chezp View Post
    So I started eating walnuts and stopped eating fried foods altogether.
    If you have gallbladder pain, even "healthy fats" can cause pain. And meat, fish, and nuts can be high in fat.

A ketogenic diet can cause gallbladder problems, so backing off might be a possible solution if it turns out that you have this problem. If the Keto diet calls for frequent fasting, slowing bile production, the bile can become stagnant, which then can lead to sludge and gallstones.

Excessive protein consumption can be part of the problem too. It can lead to fatty liver and gallstone formation.

Any rapid weight loss diet can be bad for your gallbladder. And a high fat, high protein diet in general is not healthy.

You did mention that the attacks became longer and more painful after starting the Keto diet. And for the first time you had two attacks in two days.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
    Ullysses1958
    (male)

Ullysses1958 HB User

Reads like the symptoms of my pancrreatitis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Reply