It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Eosinophilic Esophagitis

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #1
    mugwump
    (female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User
    Eosinophilic Esophagitis

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with EoE a year ago when a piece of steak got stuck in his esophagus and even water would not go down. The Heimlich didn't help. They removed it in the ER with an endoscopy. He had also been sick with laryngitis a week before so that may have had something to do with swelling in his throat area, or possibly there was something on the steak he was allergic to (that's my opinion, the doctors acted like that had nothing to do with it). They put him on Prilosec for a while, and did another endoscopy and he still had elevated eosinophils. The first doctor wanted to do a bunch of procedures like have him swallow a camera pill, do a barium swallow test if he couldn't swallow it, and do a colonoscopy which seemed too invasive and unnecessary since he never had any other symptoms. His stool sample at first came back abnormal but I read that could be because of the Prilosec. Both doctors acted unaware that could cause it. When he went off Prilosec (my suggestion), his stool sample came back normal. So the second doctor we saw said he didn't have to swallow the camera or have a colonoscopy, but he should go off wheat and dairy and get another endoscopy. So he's been on this restricted diet for a while, and months went by due to other situations getting in the way, but I don't know if we should put him through another endoscopy which will probably lead to them wanting to do more invasive procedures. The treatment seems worse than the symptoms. They act like EoE could lead to scarring over time. So, I don't like extra medical intervention but I guess the only way to know what he's allergic to is another endoscopy. Can anyone advise me? Should we bite the bullet and go ahead with another endoscopy? I don't want them exploring his whole digestive tract for nothing. I'm okay with an endoscopy like once or twice a year, but the other stuff is stressful on the whole family, and it just seems like they are trying to make money and diagnose him with a disease so they can keep doing procedures when he acts fine except for that one incident a year ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Eosinophilic Esophagitis

I would do the endoscopy.....it can tell quite a bit and you may be worrying for nothing. Its a very easy test as you know, and there is really no reason not to do it when it can give so much information.

Reply Reply