It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Constipation & Nausea

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
    SLC Girl
    (female)

SLC Girl HB User
    Constipation & Nausea

I haven't posted for a long time.

I am a 57-year-old woman who has always had regular bowel movements (you could set your clock by my bathroom habits). Since February 21 I have had some disturbing changes in bowel habits and have been feeling very sick. It started with a couple bouts of watery diarrhea (nothing triggered it) in the middle of the night, followed by 18 days of severe constipation. This has been going on for 18 days. I have also had dizzy spells, lightheadedness, abdominal discomfort (both upper and lower parts), and weight loss because I just couldn't eat much. After about 2 or 3 days it was clear this wasn't a virus (I had no fever and no vomiting). My constipation has resulted in small hard pebbles, a couple episodes of raggedly looking unformed stools, a couple days in a row of no bowel movements, 1 days here of just one tiny little pebble, a small roundish stool with a tail on it, etc., etc. Just weird digestive problems that make no sense. Today I saw my primary care doctor and she saw no red flags and said I probably have a "simple case of constipation." She ordered bloodwork to test for infection (white blood cells, etc.) but I have never had a fever. She sent me away and told me to take Miralax. This just feels so weird and so wrong. Any opinion would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Constipation & Nausea

Could be a variety of reasons...request to have stool sampling done and to be referred to see a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy. Good on the blood tests, but not all normal results state there isn't something going on. I went through that before finally being diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I suggest not going through a battery of other tests initially...a visual is best as a first-line.

q

Old 03-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Hi SLC Girl,

Are you taking any medication for GERD/acid reflux? In the past you mentioned having long term issues with that.

Any medications at all for anything? Antibiotics? That plus dietary habits and/or stress can eventually have a big impact on bowel movements.

This may seem strange to mention now but as a rule bowel health and general overall health requires at least 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day from natural whole foods. The fiber you get from natural whole foods feeds the healthy bacteria in your lower digestive system. That in turn helps to regulate everything, including your immune system. It even has a lot to do with maintaining a healthy weight.

Lack of fiber = lack of good long-term health.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:47 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Go see a GI doctor...Gastroenterologists specialize in this type of thing. You should probably have a colonoscopy to make sure everything is okay. Have you ever had one? You should have started at age 50.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
    SLC Girl
    (female)

SLC Girl HB User

I used to take Prilosec for many years but went off it about 2-3 years ago. I have been maning my GERD with diet and have been doing really well. I am a big green salad and vegetable eater so I feel I get plenty of fiber. I have always, always had regular bowel movements in the a.m. -- stools come right out of me in long logs that look healthy. This illness I am having now has come out of the blue. I had my first colonoscopy in 2013 at age 51 and there were no polyps. I have a gastroenterologist who told me to follow up in 10 years. Before I went to my PCP for this constipation I called him but his assistant told me that since he hasn't seen me in many years to go to my PCP first. I was disappointed. I am now taking Miralax at her advice (first dose was yesterday at 1 p.m. and I had one small thin stool last night at 10 p.m. with slight straining. My PCP didn't seem to listen when I said I've been feeling really sick along with the constipation. I don't think she's up on cancer-related symptoms. I'm scared and will call my gastroenterologist if the Miralax doesn't work.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
    SLC Girl
    (female)

SLC Girl HB User

Forgot to mention that I take medication for hypothyroidism. My doctor included that in my blood test as that condition can cause constipation, but it came out good. I also take a statin for cholesterol and Effexor for depression. Those don't cause constipation. My paternal grandfather had colon cancer and my father has had many polyps removed over the years but no colon cancer. I have a cousin who recently passed away from pancreatic cancer at age 53 but I don't know the hereditary components regarding that.

Reply Reply