It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Gastroenteritis?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 AM   #1
    k9love
    (female)

k9love HB User
    Gastroenteritis?

I've had diarreah since last Sunday.
    Obviously can't go to the doctor so I had a consultation over the phone.
    Was told it was probably gastroenteritis but it seems a long time to have constant diarreah.
    Doctor did prescribe anything so anyone one know what I could take to eas it?
    I'm on blood thinners so can't take imodium.
    Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Gastroenteritis?

K9love,

I just went through 13 days of intense diarrhea. Did you know diarrhea is also a symptom of COVID 19? Its not a common one, less than 5% of people get it...but I had two consults with 2 different GI doctors (after day 5) and was told by both of them that this is a symptom. Eventually, my fever went to over 101 and I was tested and tested positive.

You may be very contagious... so the two things I would recommend are to stay in a different bathroom from everyone else and to make sure you are washing your hands well, and cleaning your bathroom with bleach.

As for what you can take- can you take Pepto? Its not the same as Immodium and the only thing that helped me.

Also, stay hydrated.. get Gatorade or Pedialyte into you constantly. I wound up having to be hydrated in the hospital twice... dont let it happen to you.

This could be "just" a virus or gastroenteritis..but if you were diagnosed by a primary doctor, they may not be aware that this can also be a symptom of Covid.. Do your research on it. There are plenty of articles about diarrhea and Covid.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
    k9love
    (female)

k9love HB User

Thanks for replying, my doctor is aware of the digestive symptoms of covid, he did ask if I had a fever or cough, which I don't.
    Did you have a test to diagnose it?
    To be honest I am pretty concerned about this constant diarreah, he's prescribed me some tablets ti take, so if they don't work I will be going ring him again.
    Have you fully recovered?

Old 04-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. First of all, I work in healthcare, so I was on the front line... and yes, I was tested positive.

I did not develop much of a fever- it hoovered around 99-101, it never really got high. I had a very sore throat- and a headache- but only a slight cough; more of a tickle in my throat.

I am 100% recovered....all I took was Tylenol, Pepto Bismol and a TON OF GATORADE! I alternated between gatorade and water for 3 weeks...drinking every hour at least 4 oz. My doctor did virtual visits on Facetime with me daily...

Once recovered, which was only a few days ago, I still have to stay in my house for 14 days... which is not a problem. I have zero desire to go anywhere.

Get well soon!

Reply Reply