It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Omeprazole - low dose risks

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-25-2020, 12:29 AM   #1
    arussell99
    (male)

arussell99 HB User
    Omeprazole - low dose risks

Hi, I've been on Omeprazole for about a decade now, current dose is 10mg daily.

Hospital consultants in the past have reviewed me and I've had the cameras everywhere which have confirmed no particular issues except maybe a weak stomach valve and a small duodenal ulcer. The last recommendation (some years back) was that 10mg Omeprazole was a minor dose and was safer to take than having constant acid reflux.

My current GP has just discontinued my omeprazole and recommended indigestion remedies instead.

I know I can buy omeprazole over the counter so am now torn between just buying it and continuing and the risk of kidney issues with continued usage.

Any thoughts on whether the risk varies with dose and length of usage? Also maybe if just taking it some days drops the risk or makes little difference?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Omeprazole - low dose risks

I'm sure the risk varies with dose and length of usage, but everyone is different so no one can say for sure what your risk actually will be.

For example, your overall health status: age, BMI, and what other drugs you might be taking could make a big difference. We don't know any of this but your doctor does and it seems he doesn't want you taking omeprazole.

One long term side effect could be pancreatitis.

You mentioned the risk of kidney issues: There are 5 stages of kidney disease with stage 5 being kidney failure. By somewhere around late 70s to early 80s most people are at stage 2. By stage 3 & 4 you will be told what foods you can or cannot eat, and it gets more and more restrictive as the disease progresses. My aunt went through it and it's a terrible way to live.

So, in my opinion, your best bet is to figure out what foods are causing your digestive disorders. Perhaps it is caused by eating too much of certain foods or not chewing your foods well enough. Or it may be caused by eating too much in general - over eating.

Good luck.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
    arussell99
    (male)

arussell99 HB User
    Re: Omeprazole - low dose risks

Thanks, appreciate the response. I'm in my early 50's, my BMI is good and other health concerns are asthma and hereditary BP. My food choices probably don't help, cooked breakfast a few times a week and curries are my favourite. I also like a beer from time to time, so all the red flags for reflux ...

Reply Reply

Tags
    gerd - physical issues, omeprazole