It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• concerned about long-term reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
    vader1000

vader1000 HB User
    concerned about long-term reflux

i'm young, only 28. i've been diagnosed with reflux since i was about 20. i've been on prilosec the whole time. i've had the upper gi (nothing shown), endoscopy about 4 years ago (which showed evidense of erosion, but was healing at the time), and a ultrasound (showed nothing). i'm concerned with having long-term reflux, especially at my young age. my symptoms aren't completely gone. if i stop taking prilosec, i end up getting really bad heartburn that makes me feel like somebody is constantly stabbing me in the chest. i will have it 24 hours a day. when i wake up, before i eat, after i eat, before i go to bed, etc. when i take prilosec, the heartburn is basically gone. i do get other symptoms such as mouthful of nasty yuck, sore throat, tingling of the throat (this is recent and concerns me), feeling of lump in throat. i never have difficulty swallowing, however. i constantly have a mild cough, clear my throat.

my doctor said an endoscopy every 7-10 years is what he suggests. i'm just wondering what kind of problems i can be having now. the tingling is something that conserns me. it's in the throat area, but i can't tell exactly where. it almost feels like it's on the outside surface more than on the inside, but again i'm not completely sure.

any help would be appreciated. i think i may need another endoscopy, but i'm a bit afraid of that now because the only time i had one, i "woke up" in the middle of it with horrible gagging and i yanked the tube out of my throat. it wasn't a nice experience.

also, all the reflux started when i was under a lot of stress with finishing school and working full time and traveling all over north/south america. it was very difficult. i've also noticed that in the past year or so i've had some panic attacks, one of them very severe (thought i was dying - literally), and i have migraines. i believe the migraines to be hereditary because my mom and both brothers had migraines. after our family gets into our 30's the migraines tend to go away and are a thing of the past. but these are other things that maybe could be related to my problems. i've tried quitting prilosec only to be going after the bottle of pills again within a day like a person trying to stop taking drugs. it's like a light switch. as soon as i stop taking the purple pill, my burn comes back really bad. it is so bad, i can't go more than 2 days without getting back on the pill. i've tried all the others too (prevacid, pepsid, etc) and none of them work. only prilosec. no wonder it was the #1 most prescribed pill in the world.

i stay pretty good to form when it comes to not doing things to aggravate my reflux. my #1 worse problem is overeating, which leads me to believe it's a physical problem. if i eat way too much, i am really sick. not even because of pain but because i feel so nauseated due to the food constantly coming back up. the 2nd worse problem for me is stress. i don't drink or smoke. i avoid chocolate. i do drink fruit juice (apple, v8 splash, grape, etc) and iced tea, but i don't drink anything carbonated or high in acid such as grapefruit or orange juice. i don't eat much deep fried food unless i'm out of town and have no choice but to stop somewhere quick. i don't eat much spicy food ever (but i love it). i am 5'9" and about 165lb, so i'm in pretty good shape. i exercize every week.

i get bloated sometimes, but i can't burp. i don't know what it is. i get all this pressure and if i feel like i might burp, it ends up feeling more like i'm going to puke so i don't do either and i hold it back. this might not be that great for me either. i've never burped in my whole life. not kidding.

finally, the last thing i want to indicate is that i can remember a few times when i was younger (grade school age) waking up in the middle of the night with a mouthful of vomit. or after eating lunch at school having food come up in my mouth. i also remember during junior high/highschool having a lot of days where i felt real sick and i kept trying to swallow over and over again (gerd symptoms, but had no clue at the time). i don't know how long this problem has existed with me, but it could be a very long-term thing, but i am just not aware of how long-term.

i don't seem to suffer from the night-time reflux that i hear a lot about. if i don't sleep on an incline, i do feel a bit sick because of the feeling of things coming up, but i never wake up in the middle of the night with the burn or anything like that. my nights are fairly quite. i take a tums or two and go right to bed.

sorry for the long post, but i thought i'd try to throw everything out there and i appreciate anybody who can help because i'm really worried (which makes it worse).

Last edited by vader1000; 11-18-2003 at 09:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 AM   #2
    Jenn4USA

Jenn4USA HB User
    [B]I suffered with acid reflux for years, and eventually it was at the point that I had surgery, not that I am saying you need surgery. My reflux was eating away at my esophagus and I had no other options so I thought at the time. I was on the purple pill and didn't have luck, but from the sounds of it - it is successful for you. Also Nexium is a wonderful drug, I am currently being treated at the Cleveland Clinic for complications of my surgery and they have recommended Nexium over Prilosec, maybe it would take care of the tingling problem. I had those same symptoms and my GI Doctor said that it was caused by the acid. I certainly would recommend a 2nd opinion and getting any information you can from another Doctor, there is always safety in numbers and with the complications that I have had I have found that a 2nd opinion can offer a lot more than we realize. I have had the endoscopy procedure around 30x and I understand about the waking up, I never seem to be asleep at all and I hate the tube. But for the most part it doesn't bother me. Maybe another procedure could offer more help. Also there is a study called Mannometry (spelling?) that is very helpful in telling the doctors what is going on with your acid. I have had that done twice, all though it is not a pleasant study and you have to have a small tube inserted into your belly and where a monitor for 24 hours it is very informative to the Doctors as to what is going on. Also a gastric empty study can tell them what is going on when you eat. Knowledge is power, any tests that they can run even if you have to see another Doctor may help in the relief of your symptoms. Best of luck in your healing!

Old 11-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
    vader1000

vader1000 HB User
    i just went to my pcp. he said he doesn't think the tingling is anything to worry about, but keep an eye on it. however, for the reflux, since it's been almost 5 years since my last endoscopy, he gave me a referral to the gastro doc in the area. i recently moved from pittsburgh (where they are know for great hospitals) to the DC area, which i also think they have good hospitals, so i should be getting good treatment. the change of scenery may result in some new ideas.

my old doctor said that prilosec and nexium are basically identical. he said there is a slight difference in the chemical makeup, but that's it. he said whoever makes prilosec knew they were going to go generic, so they had to come up with a new drug. he said when you take prilosec, it digests into 1 form and then your body digests that into another form. i think nexium simply skips the first step and puts it directly in the 2nd digested version. this is a couple of years ago he told me about it, so i may be wrong technically, but i think you can get the general idea.

however, on the same note, my new pcp said he's heard that some studies show that there is some indication that there may other drugs slightly better than prilosec and he later indicated nexium.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
    dmize23235
    (male)

dmize23235 HB User
    i have been on prilosec for about 2 years and when i say it saved my life i mean it. lets just say i spent a week someplace not so nice and when i was finally put on prilosec it was like a miracle, i was home 2 days later and have never looked back, when it came out over the counter it was like an early christmas present.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User
    Re: concerned about long-term reflux

glad you are seen gastro Doc. Nexium has something else in it that is supposed to heal erosion. but your Dr. was right. If the patent had not been up on Prilosec they maybe would not have come up with Nexium. There is also Prevacid, Acidflex and Protonix( which was awful for me) I am off them not awaiting my breath test for h. pylori. After that I am going to do the Prilosec. Just using Tagamet now an dit works us as well for me.

Old 11-19-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Lightbulb Re: concerned about long-term reflux

There are long term studies going on about decreasing the acid level in the stomach. It does allow the growth of unwanted bacteria-
    As we all know the stomach is suppose to function with acid and that is why we have PROTON PUMPS. Acid is a first line of defense in killing Germs --- No germs can survive in an acid environment!!! It is only reasonable to expect some effects when the way it is suppose to work is messed up???

H.pylori lives in the stomach mucus and folds of the stomach so it does not come in direct contact with stomach acids.

I think we should all search to see if we can find some articles with valid information.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:28 PM   #7
    Fudge7000
    Veteran

Fudge7000 HB User

long term acid reflux can cause Barratts oesophagus which is a precursor to oesophageal cancer, GERD runs in my family, and my mum has barratts and shes only 44, i'm 20 and having the nissen done in 2 weeks time. also with the meds i kept getting really bad food poisening as my stomach didn't have enough acid to kill the bugs off, but i still had reflux even with the meds! personally i'm all for surgery (but then i haven't had it yet!) as i didn't want to be on really strong drugs all my life and possibly end up with cancer, but its a personal choice.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:40 AM   #8
    vader1000

vader1000 HB User

how did the surgery turn out?

Last edited by moderator4; 01-22-2004 at 07:16 AM.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:46 AM   #9
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

The headaches, the nervousness and the tingling (pins and Needles) are all side effects of previcid. Have you ever looked closely at your diet. Usually (not every single case), diet is the culprit. Do you eat too many acid forming foods such as protein without a carb ? the protein is going to create too much acid it must be balanced out. You should try to eat yogurt to add back some of the missing bacteria that you have from the prolonged use of that drug. Have you ever considered going to a holisitic or alternative healer? It sounds like the standard medical approach is not working for you so a new one might be in order.

Also the lump in the throat, panic attacks,and gerd are all symptoms of of a thyroid condition. You may want to be tested.

Good Luck to you.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-22-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:12 PM   #10
    vader1000

vader1000 HB User

I'm not taking prevacid (I was on it for about 1 week, but it didn't work). I'm on prilosec. The neck tingling is driving me nuts now. it's bothing me more and more now.

I take probiotics, digestive enzymes, dgl, chamomile, slippery elm, ginger, etc. Not all at the same time, but I do take them all fairly consistently. Before long I'll stop, because it doesn't seem like any of them are helping.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-22-2004 at 02:05 PM.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:51 AM   #11
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vader1000
    I'm not taking prevacid (I was on it for about 1 week, but it didn't work). I'm on prilosec. The neck tingling is driving me nuts now. it's bothing me more and more now.

I take probiotics, digestive enzymes, dgl, chamomile, slippery elm, ginger, etc. Not all at the same time, but I do take them all fairly consistently. Before long I'll stop, because it doesn't seem like any of them are helping.
    My mistake I meant to say prilosec. I stand by my post except for putting down the wrong med name!!!Opps. I hope you find some kind of relief soon.

Closed Thread