It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Digestive Disorders Message Board

  • "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 11-22-2003, 07:28 AM   #1
    maggiecttr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    maggiecttr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 177
    maggiecttr HB User
    "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Hi--I'm a new poster, but have been reading this board for awhile. In late July, I started experiencing what I call "burbles" (felt like 2 cats were fighting in there) in my upper stomachj/diaphragm area. At first, I thought I was having heart palpitations. My physician examined me & said it was more likely caused by GERD & wasn't my heart. I was reluctant to go on PPI meds, and rarely had any reflux, so I tried more natural remedies, like magnesium, acidophilus, enzymes, aloe vera capsules, a low-fat diet, and I explored the idea that I might actually have *less* stomach acid than I should & that this was causing the indigestion, so I ate vinegary dressings, tomatoes, etc. It took about 6 weeks, but all symptoms went away for about 10 weeks. Unfortunately, I started re-indulging in more fatty foods & sweets and while eating a load of Hallowween chocolate, the burbling returned. Once again, I'm back to what helped me before, and hope it does again. My question: Has anyone else here experienced this symptom? I believe it is caused by gas and burps-that-won't-come-up. It sounds rumbly & sometimes, I can literally see my stomach pulsing (like when I was pregnant & my son was kicking from inside). Has anyone found out what this actually *is*?
    Any advice? Thanks so much!

    Maggie C.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 11-22-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
    Tasha2003
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Tasha2003's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Southwest US
    Posts: 158
    Tasha2003 HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Maggie: Kind of sounds like mine and thus far no one has any info for me! I have loud noises and rumblings, sometimes it feels like bubbles bursting. I have occasional hunger pang feelings. I do have reflux so I started taking one pill per day for that. The doctor immediately wanted to stick a tube down my throat, but since this isnt what she considered serious, she didnt insist on it now. I asked for an H Pylori blood test to make sure I dont just simply have a bacteria. Anyway, I dont know what we have (or even if it is the same, but it sounds like it) and I hope someone has a clue. Btw, your descriptive word "burbling" is pretty accurate as far as my problem is concerned!

    Last edited by moderator4; 01-18-2004 at 11:06 PM.

     
    Old 01-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #3
    Rorie
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Rorie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 296
    Rorie HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    I had some of the same symptoms. I often described to my husband that I had popping feelings in my tummy and it felt like when I was pregnant and the baby was kicking, although I knew I wasn't pregnant! I also suffered from heart palpitations. After suffering for over a year thinking something terrible was going on and running tons of tests...I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome with constipation. (Some have it with constipation and some have it with diahrea or both). Anyway, I had a colonoscopy and it showed that my colon was suffering from spasms. I get a lot of gas trapped in my colon and that causes the popping and jumping and spasms of my colon. It is not a serious problem, but it can be painful. It is controlled by diet. Do you think this could be what you have? Do you get constipated or have tummy pain? There is also a medication that can help some women, but it didn't help me. I will tell you more, if interested.

     
    Old 01-18-2004, 03:46 PM   #4
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    I'v been having race cars racing in my tummy..down to my colon..since early October 03/ and, it hasn't passed. I'v been hospitalized for diarreha and, they did all the tests possible..endoscopy, colonoscopy, bloodwork, x-rays, tested me for H.p..the lab said it turned out negative..I'm asking myself what can it possibly be..I eat foods to constipate me but, it doesn't work much..everything comes out softy or watery..my doc told me I don't have IBS..and, my gastro doctor hasn't called me yet..but, he did put me on Prevacid 1/daily and, I'm seeing him Feb 03, in two weeks..I'm very confused and, scared..this is all new to me..

     
    Old 01-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
    maggiecttr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    maggiecttr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 177
    maggiecttr HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tasha2003
    Btw, your descriptive word "burbling" is pretty accurate as far as my problem is concerned!
    Hi, Tasha: I saw a gastroent. last week, who thinks it may be GERD-related, so I'm starting on Prevacid 30-mg. once/day. I'm only on day 2, so haven't noticed much change yet. (The doctor thinks it *could* be IBS-related if the PPIs don't work to get the burbles in check.)
    Is yours worse when lying down?

    Hugs,
    Maggie C.

     
    Old 01-19-2004, 04:35 AM   #6
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 1,657
    Losec20mg HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maggiecttr
    Hi, Tasha: I saw a gastroent. last week, who thinks it may be GERD-related, so I'm starting on Prevacid 30-mg. once/day. I'm only on day 2, so haven't noticed much change yet. (The doctor thinks it *could* be IBS-related if the PPIs don't work to get the burbles in check.)
    Is yours worse when lying down?

    Hugs,
    Maggie C.
    Yes maggie when i'm lying down its worst..

     
    Old 01-19-2004, 06:46 AM   #7
    grannyd
    Junior Member
     
    grannyd's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: South West USA
    Posts: 20
    grannyd HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Hi all,

    Since October I have had this feeling and stuff too....and my doc wanted to do all the tests and gave me previcid also....well it made the pit of my tummy hurt then he suggested "nutcracker esophagus" whatever that is.....well I have in the past 4 months gotten to somewhat of a bottom to this.......Most people are treated for "high acid stomach" and actually have "low acid stomach".....the symptons are the same and if you do a search you will see that.....One of you mentioned the vinigary diet stuff and it worked well that is why....just do a search and it will give you a remedy or the betainehcl at your local health food store....ask them what they have for the low acid stomach...i think in days of old it was quite a hassle to test for low acid and therefore after the tests were run and the time it took many physicians felt it was not necessary and had sort of no time for this since the diet we have nowadays is all processed foods they thought it was over acid but first those who take antacids are stopping or waylaying the normal acid in the stomach and we need that to digest properly....without it alot of ailments come over us....I myself hardly ever had even heartburn....and a coke yes a coke took care of it when and if I had it....so when I felt this way almost overnight in oct i thought it was menopause because i was soon to be 50 on nov 9th......well i have spoke with a specialist in natural medicine and after telling him what previcid did and all of that he said try the ? cant mention name for the low acidity and i called my local health food store got it yesterday and took one this morning and ate 2eggs, grits and drank some coffee and i dont have near the burping feeling as i have had and i know it will take some time to get my body on the right track....but thought you should know....do the search and see for yourself.....hope this helps.....grannyd

     
    Old 01-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
    carebear73
    Senior Member
     
    carebear73's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: vancouver, canada
    Posts: 138
    carebear73 HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maggiecttr
    Hi--I'm a new poster, but have been reading this board for awhile. In late July, I started experiencing what I call "burbles" (felt like 2 cats were fighting in there) in my upper stomachj/diaphragm area. At first, I thought I was having heart palpitations. My physician examined me & said it was more likely caused by GERD & wasn't my heart. I was reluctant to go on PPI meds, and rarely had any reflux, so I tried more natural remedies, like magnesium, acidophilus, enzymes, aloe vera capsules, a low-fat diet, and I explored the idea that I might actually have *less* stomach acid than I should & that this was causing the indigestion, so I ate vinegary dressings, tomatoes, etc. It took about 6 weeks, but all symptoms went away for about 10 weeks. Unfortunately, I started re-indulging in more fatty foods & sweets and while eating a load of Hallowween chocolate, the burbling returned. Once again, I'm back to what helped me before, and hope it does again. My question: Has anyone else here experienced this symptom? I believe it is caused by gas and burps-that-won't-come-up. It sounds rumbly & sometimes, I can literally see my stomach pulsing (like when I was pregnant & my son was kicking from inside). Has anyone found out what this actually *is*?
    Any advice? Thanks so much!

    Maggie C.
    Maggie,
    I have read your posts before... and I have been experiencing the same thing.. I responded to a couple of your messages before. I only get this burbling (great word btw) when I am sitting or laying down.. the odd time when I just stand.. it does not hurt.. and I don't get any other symptoms associated with it.. It's more annoying than anything. It is not confined to one particular area.. sometimes it is in the middle.. sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right side of my upper stomach/diaphragm area. It seems when I breathe in and out that's when I mostly get it. I have had it ever since my daughter was born and my doctor thought that maybe my diaphragm was on my intestine or something. I would like to get rid of it.. and I thought that getting my gallbladder out would help since everything is sort of moved around.. but that wasn't the case.. I know you went to a specialist.. and you said that more acidic foods helped it?
    Have you had a endoscopy or anything? I see a gastoenterologist on Feb 9. I am not counting on any specific answers.. but it would be nice... Let me know if you find anything out.. has the medication you are on helped at all? I am on 40 mg Pantaloc and it has helped my reflux a great deal.. but I still have the burbles.. Take care,
    Carebear

     
    Old 01-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
    Tasha2003
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Tasha2003's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Southwest US
    Posts: 158
    Tasha2003 HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carebear73
    Maggie,
    I have read your posts before... and I have been experiencing the same thing.. I responded to a couple of your messages before. I only get this burbling (great word btw) when I am sitting or laying down.. the odd time when I just stand.. it does not hurt.. and I don't get any other symptoms associated with it.. It's more annoying than anything. It is not confined to one particular area.. sometimes it is in the middle.. sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right side of my upper stomach/diaphragm area. It seems when I breathe in and out that's when I mostly get it. I have had it ever since my daughter was born and my doctor thought that maybe my diaphragm was on my intestine or something. I would like to get rid of it.. and I thought that getting my gallbladder out would help since everything is sort of moved around.. but that wasn't the case.. I know you went to a specialist.. and you said that more acidic foods helped it?
    Have you had a endoscopy or anything? I see a gastoenterologist on Feb 9. I am not counting on any specific answers.. but it would be nice... Let me know if you find anything out.. has the medication you are on helped at all? I am on 40 mg Pantaloc and it has helped my reflux a great deal.. but I still have the burbles.. Take care,
    Carebear
    My post disappeared, will try again.
    OK, here's what I do and dont know-
    Seems worse with PMS, noisy and bubbly only, no tummy ache or problems.
    Worse when sitting down, really never notice it sleeping or standing.
    I do have reflux, I do have a very nervous tummy but not the severe IBS symptoms.
    I cant trace it to food, but onions and things do make it worse. But it isnt burping or gas, so that isnt really connected.
    I have no clue.................?

     
    Old 01-20-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
    suzi47cmt
    Senior Member
     
    suzi47cmt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Location: bucksport, maine
    Posts: 129
    suzi47cmt HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    I may be repeating myself, but the best thing ever for my burbling (I LOVE that word too), was and is, eating cooked rice (NOT MINUTE RICE THO), or mashed potatoes (plain, without any milk or butter, or any dairy products involved, lol). The rice is a tried and true remedy, at least for me.

    Hope this helps. Take care now.

    Suzi

     
    Old 01-21-2004, 07:09 AM   #11
    maggiecttr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    maggiecttr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 177
    maggiecttr HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carebear73
    Maggie,
    I have read your posts before... and I have been experiencing the same thing.. [snip] I know you went to a specialist.. and you said that more acidic foods helped it?
    Have you had a endoscopy or anything? I see a gastoenterologist on Feb 9. I am not counting on any specific answers.. but it would be nice... Let me know if you find anything out.. has the medication you are on helped at all? I am on 40 mg Pantaloc and it has helped my reflux a great deal.. but I still have the burbles.. Take care,
    Carebear
    Carebear:
    Hi! I have seen your replies before--thanks for making me feel I',m not alone. : )
    THe first time I had the burbles, in July, I took no anti-acids & ate what I thought were more acidic foods & got better in 7 weeks & had no symptoms for 10 weeks. As I read more about acidifying & alkalizing foods, though, I see tomatoes, orange juice & apple cider vinegar are actually cattegorized as "alkaline-forming" foods in the body. Lemon, especially. So I was actually alkalizing as I ate those. So that kind of fits in with the burbles being GERD-related. However, my gasttroent & I are still just conjecturing re the cause of the burbles. There are facets that sound IBS-related as well (I can sometimes hear rumblings & feel gas and it seems to help a bit to get a good burp up.) I'm starting day 5 on Prevacid, 30-mg., but some days seem like it might be improving & some don't. I'd say maybe the intensity is a little less when they hit. I did have luck the one night I tried Starling's (a poster here) kava tea idea. But I'm leary of it's effects on the liver (though a Master Herbalist said you'd have to drink a truckload), so I am trying taking a capsule (a dose is actually 3 capsules) of valerian at night before bed. It is also an antispasmodic & calmer and I sleep well with it. Sometimes I wonder if this is not digestive at all, but something making the blood glug through the aortas & whatever in that part of my body. I have a prominant abdominal aorta beat sometimes, but had it sonogrammed & nada out of the ordinary showed up. You're absolutely right--it seems worse on inhaling /exhaling--I want to do deep relaxing breathing, but...PLEASE present *your* specialist with all our symptoms & see what *he/she* says! If we pool outtr ideas & our doctors, maybe we can figure this out. It is so annoying & disconcerting!!
    Hugs aplenty,
    Maggie C.

     
    Old 01-22-2004, 02:05 PM   #12
    Tasha2003
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Tasha2003's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Southwest US
    Posts: 158
    Tasha2003 HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    OK, does this mean anything to anyone? I tried an experiment, and sure enough--oatmeal for breakfast, instant package, in the microwave with water not milk=extreme burbbles.

     
    Old 01-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #13
    maggiecttr
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    maggiecttr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Posts: 177
    maggiecttr HB User
    Re: "Burbles" in upper stomach/diaphragm area

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tasha2003
    OK, does this mean anything to anyone? I tried an experiment, and sure enough--oatmeal for breakfast, instant package, in the microwave with water not milk=extreme burbbles.
    Tasha:
    Hmm...I *used* to eat this nearly every morning, even when I got the burbles in early Nov. I'm not sure--I can't recall if they were worse after instant oatmeal or not. Coulda been. I haven't had it in a couple of weeks, though. Sorry!

    Maggie C.

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!