HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Digestive Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/)
-   -   Rapid Beats in Heart & Abdom. Aorta & GERD (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/130117-rapid-beats-heart-abdom-aorta-gerd.html)

maggiecttr 11-28-2003 06:27 AM

Rapid Beats in Heart & Abdom. Aorta & GERD

I have been experiencing rapid heartbeats and noticeable beating in my abdominal aorta, along with a lot of gas & burpiness (in tandem). I had this back in July, but it eventually clared up with use of aloe vera capsules, enzymes, DGL, etc. and I was fine for about 10 weeks. But it's back, after not eating a strictly low-fat diet once I thought I was better. My family practitioner listened to both my heart & AA and says those are OK, but I am having a sonogram on the abdominal aorta in a few days, "just to ease my mind." I have lowish blood pressure, am in good shape weight-wise, exercise, generally eat healthfully, etc., so he feels I don't fit the profile for heart disease. My question: He thinks I have GERD, although I rarely burp up acidy fluid. The beating in my heart & AA areas *does* incresase when I lie down, though. Has anyone experienced this & did you have medical tests done to rule out heart or abdom. aorta problems? Did it connect to GERD? Thanks very much for any insight you can give me.

Sincerely,
Maggie C.

Harry 11-28-2003 05:20 PM

Re: Rapid Beats in Heart & Abdom. Aorta & GERD

I think your problem is probably caused by trapped GAS. Look in the Informational Archive about controling Gas I think it's the first Link.

I have the same problem??

maggiecttr 11-29-2003 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=Harry]I think your problem is probably caused by trapped GAS. Look in the Informational Archive about controling Gas I think it's the first Link.

I have the same problem??[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Harry. I've read some of your posts before, related to magnesium, and I'm starting to take more of that. Aloe vera seems to be helpful as well. This went away before, so hoping it does again, using natural remedies---I am really reluctant to start PPOs--I've read a lot of negatives associated with them.

Cheers,
Maggie

boz 11-30-2003 03:57 AM

I have the same sort of problem. About 8 years ago a junior Dr on a surgical ward said he thought I might have an Aortic Aneurysm, the Consultant said NO. ( thank goodness)
It frightened the life out of me. !!!
Two years ago because of Reflux and a gall bladder problem I had an ultrasound, this showed the Aorta to be normal.
Last week my new Dr when examining my abdomen also noted the forced from my AA. I related my stories and he appeared alot happier --
although he did suggest a chest/straight abdo x-ray.
This I refused, - but as it worried me a little I have decided to have this x-ray in a few weeks time.
When I was younger and slimmer this pounding in the abdomen was very noticable. Now I feel it more if I over eat or through anxiety / stress, sometimes I feel these pounding sensations in my neck.
Lying down in certain positions will ease the effects.
Boz...
in the UK.

maggiecttr 11-30-2003 06:56 AM

[QUOTE=boz] I related my stories and he appeared alot happier --
although he did suggest a chest/straight abdo x-ray.
This I refused, - but as it worried me a little I have decided to have this x-ray in a few weeks time.

Boz...
in the UK.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Boz! Here's hoping my AA is OK, too, and please post here regarding the results of yor X-ray.

Maggie C.

boz 11-30-2003 08:09 AM

Hi Maggie

My x-ray wont be till after the Christmas holidays.
I next see my Dr on 23rd Dec. He wants to see me to find out how I got on with the Nexium tablets. I tried a PPI 2 years ago and it did not agree with me at all. So I went back on Ranitidine ....
This lot --- so far so good.
Although I do get slight heartburn at times and I do a very good frog impersonation when I first wake in the mornings things are better.
I meant to say in my first post that I also suffer from ' wind' (Gas) and
burping. Things are always bad in a ' flare up ' which can happen
at anytime depending on what I eat and last for upto several weeks.
I have put myself on a sort of low fat diet, not everything upsets my digestion. Full cream milk will......
Let us know how you get on with your ultrasound.
Good luck and dont worry.
Boz.
in England

maggiecttr 12-01-2003 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=boz]Hi Maggie

I also suffer from ' wind' (Gas) and
burping. Things are always bad in a ' flare up ' which can happen
at anytime depending on what I eat and last for upto several weeks.
I have put myself on a sort of low fat diet, not everything upsets my digestion. Full cream milk will......
Let us know how you get on with your ultrasound.
Good luck and dont worry.
Boz.
in England[/QUOTE]

Hi, Boz: Thanks for your note & I agree with your term "flareup." I'm thinking that's what all my gassines/ burps that mostly won't come up are about. I had had a ton of Halloween chocolate--the cheap milk-chocolate, fatty kind right before this hit again. The first time, it lasted about 6-8 weeks, then went away for 10 weeks on aloe vera, enzymes & a low-fat diet. Then I got careless. Sigh. I had the ultrasound on the abdom. aorta today & am awiting results in a couple days.
More news as it occurs!
Cheers!
Maggie C.

boz 12-04-2003 12:59 AM

Hi Maggie,
Fingers crossed for you that all is well with your ultra-sound.
Diet wise there are so many things which I can not eat.

Here's some from my list of ' No No 's '

Chocolate - any type regardless of cost.
Any food containing tomatoes. Including sauces, soups, or as fresh
in salads or in tins.
Coffee any quantity, and I limit myself to 2 cups of tea per day
with low fat milk. Tea restriction is hard over here --- but I manage.
Any foods that have vinegar added, or what we call pickles :- for example - onions, cabbage, beetroot.
Any food with a load of spices. ( I love a good Chilli ) but no more.
The last thing to mention is good old fashioned English Fish & chips.
It might sound as if eating is a drag, its not.
It is surprising just what you can find which is OK. Most of the things I list are the easy to prepare type foods ( junk or high flavour )
By the way my first flare up was a few years ago at Christmas time,
I had sat eating chocolate while watching TV --- I had so much it nearly came out of my ears. Boy was I poorly. Only trouble was --- I didn't know what was wrong with me at the time.
One last thought before I close, you say you have to wait a few days for your abdo scan results.
My dear Maggie, if there had been the slightest problem seen
regarding your Aorta you would have been admitted into a hospital
immediately, not even allowed home to get your night attire and tooth brush.
Looking forward to your news.
Boz.

maggiecttr 12-04-2003 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=boz]
My dear Maggie, if there had been the slightest problem seen
regarding your Aorta you would have been admitted into a hospital
immediately, not even allowed home to get your night attire and tooth brush.
Looking forward to your news.
Boz.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you as always! We both get in trouble from chocolate, it seems.Life sure is unfair! Thanks for your note regarding the AA test. I am just hoping they didn't even find a "small beginnings" of an aneutysm. I figured it wasn't a Big One since I wasn't informed yet after 72+ hours. I'm reluctant to call to find out!

Hugs,
Maggie C.

boz 12-05-2003 11:00 AM

Hi there,
Am so pleased that you have not heard anything
Re:- your ultrasound. ( No news is good news. )
You know it does not have to be large, any abnormality with the aorta is considered an emergency.
So consider your self fit and healthy.
Now you can concentrate on a good diet, and Christmas festivities.
Thats what I am doing. Shopping ready for Christmas, planning the meals, and trying not to buy all the food I would love to eat.......
sigh -- Life is so hard.
Another thing --- my feet were not built for shopping at Christmas.
Talk to you soon.
Boz.

maggiecttr 12-06-2003 01:40 PM

Thanks, Boz--you're a sweetie! I stumbled upon over-the-counter cimetidine (Tagamet over here) and I think it really helped all my burbles & palpitations & random mid-torso rappings. I hate to take it too often, preferring natural remedies...You are taking something beginning with an "R" you said? How often? how's that working for you? is it prescription-strength or over-the-counter? Thanks again!

Hugs & Christmas greetings!
Maggie

fudd 12-06-2003 02:18 PM

maggie, if cimetidine works for you, by all means continue to take it. Cimetidine and ranitidine (the "R" drug I think boz was talking about) are H2 blockers - they block the release of histamine in the GI tract. Since histamine stimulates acid production, the end result is less acid. This is different from the PPIs (nexium, prilosec), which irreversibly block the proton channel itself. The nice thing about ranitidine over cimetidine is that it has far fewer drug interactions. This is only important if you are on other types of medications, like Coumadin (warfarin), Dilantin (phenytoin), B-blockers (like metoprolol), or benzodiazepines (like diazepam). Both ranitidine and cimetidine have the same action, so if you are on any of these meds you should talk with your doctor about H2 blockers (ESPECIALLY cimetidine).

Regarding your preference for natural remedies, it is perfectly understandable and I appreciate your concern. Just remember, many FDA regulated drugs started out as natural remedies (including aspirin), so just because something is a medication does not mean right off the bat that it is toxic, unhealthy or unnatural. Similarly, just because something is natural does not mean it is not without it's risks and side effects (St John's Wart, Valerian, and Ginkgo Biloba all have documented side effects and drug interactions). Don't get me wrong, each aspect of medicine has it's own rightful place in modern healthcare, and the two can even interact symbiotically. With all of the research going on with alternative medicine, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these drugs (especially SJW) went from being natural and alternative to FDA regulated OTCs within the next decade or so. I guess what I'm saying is, if something (traditional or alternative) is working out for you without any side effects, don't stop using it just because it falls into one class or another. If it makes you feel better, keep taking it!

maggiecttr 12-07-2003 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=fudd]

I guess what I'm saying is, if something (traditional or alternative) is working out for you without any side effects, don't stop using it just because it falls into one class or another. If it makes you feel better, keep taking it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for your thoughts...I really appreciate it. I always feel better after reading this group! What you say makes sense, and I think if I figure out a workable mix of the over-the-counter medication with some natural healing agents, I'll be striking a good balance.

Thanks, again!
Maggie C.

boz 12-07-2003 01:39 PM

Hi Maggie,
I was taking Ranitidine ( Zantac) as an over the counter medicine. My previous Doc suggested it, but to use only as & when I felt I needed it. It was only a weak dose , but very helpful when the tum was upset. At times I would take one a day ,, sometimes two in 24 hours if I was having a nasty flare up, once that had cleared up
I could go for days even weeks before taking them again.
Cimetidine ( Tagamet ) is not available over the counter here,
( unless things have changed in the past few years, which I doubt.)
Its a prescription only drug.
The reason being the strength of the medication.
I must admit I am not a lover of '' natural remedies ''...
Mixing medications natural or otherwise is not always a good idea.
chemicals can react against each other. I prefer to be safe ....rather than sorry. Just think about it. !!!
I got to the stage where I was having one flare up after another, so I
decided to see my new Doc, and have a long chat with him about sensible management of my problem. .............So.....
At the moment I am taking Nexium 20 mg daily, am on this for one month, then I see what my new Doc thinks, and what he's going to do next. I must admit I do feel alot better.
But I am still ' windy ' ---- in fact I could burp for Britain.
Enough of that.
Chin up, talk to you soon.
Boz.

maggiecttr 12-09-2003 02:07 PM

Just wanted to let Boz & you all know that my sonogram of my abdominal aorta came out fine--normal. Yeeha! Thank you for your concern--evidently, I just have prominant pulsepoints! (I noticed one in my neck thumping last evening, e.g.)

Take care & I hope to report back that my tum is better soon.

Hugs aplenty,
Maggie C.