It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Fat malabsorption - no diagnosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
    Alisande

Alisande HB User
    Question Fat malabsorption - no diagnosis

I've had problems digesting fats ever since my teens, but functioned well as long as I didn't have pizza, fried foods, etc. I drastically lowered my carbs 8 years ago to reduce my triglycerides and my weight, and my eating gradually evolved to a rather high fat diet. They were good fats (nuts, olive oil, grape seed oil, flax seeds, etc.), so I thought I'd be okay.

But this summer I began began to show symptoms of fat malabsorption, and then in September I got sick with full-blown malabsorption syndrome, complete with all the symptoms, plus a dull pain in the right side of my mid-back that the doctor said was my kidney. I immediately gave up the nuts and most other fats, and soon felt better. I've been doing okay since, except for continuing belching and occasional bouts of insomnia. But I wasn't happy with low-fat, low-carb eating as a long-term solution, and wanted to know what caused the problem. The doctor ran some blood tests that showed I was getting certain vitamins, and he ordered a gallbladder ultrasound, which was normal.

Now he's scheduled an endoscopy for me. Is that test appropriate to this problem? Does anyone have an idea of what my problem might be? A previous doctor prescribed digestive enzymes, but the HCL was too much acid for me. Another bottle without the HCL didn't help either.

Thanks!

Alisande

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2003, 06:12 AM   #2
    ajal28

ajal28 HB User
    Re: Fat malabsorption - no diagnosis

I don't know if the endoscopy will help but it doesn't hurt to to get it done just in case since your gallbladder checked out ok

Old 12-09-2003, 07:12 AM   #3
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

The endoscopy can check for any damage in the duodenum. The first part of your small intestine is where most of your nutrients are absorbed. If there is any damage, your will start suffering from nutritional probelms. The test will be a good one to have because it can also just rule out a lot of disorders.

What were your full blown malabsorbtion symptoms? Whe I hear malabsorbtion, I think of the pancreas and gallbladder. I'm sure there are other causes of malabsorbtion that I am unaware of. I am interested to know your symptoms. I assume you have had stool tests before.

Take care.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #4
    RMiller

RMiller HB User

Are you lactose intolerant?
    The most common cause of fat malabsorption is a deficiency in Lactase, an enzyme in the small intestine which breaks down Lactose (milk sugar).

I would also look into a Lecithin deficiency as the pancreas uses lecithin as a fat emulsifier.

You can supplement both, if it turns out to be the case

Closed Thread