It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Newbie: Is there a GERD diet of allowed foods?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2003, 08:05 AM   #1
    Hawaiian GERD

Hawaiian GERD HB User
    Newbie: Is there a GERD diet of allowed foods?

[SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Hi..I'm a newbie to the boards. I've just been diagnosed with GERD and haven't been a happy camper since. Does anyone have a "foods allowed" list for GERD? My doctor says to avoid fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, tomato-based foods, etc. My voice has become quite "baritone-ish" and hoarse and the reflux keeps me from sleeping well and I feel like I have a constant cold because of the sore throat feeling. Any information, help, advice from those who has this disease is greatly appreciated. I'd like to start feeling better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2003, 07:26 AM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: Newbie: Is there a GERD diet of allowed foods?

Your Doctor is right but you could add try a more natrual diet. One that the food is mostly alkaline producing. All meats, beans, milk eggs, pasta produce acid and mostly all drinks except water-- coffee, tea, sodas are all acidic.

As you know your stomach produces acid but alot of foods also produces acid and just adds to the problem when you belch.
    As a rule you should eat 80% alkaline forming foods and drink daily. 20 % acid-forming foods

Old 12-26-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

here check out this chart

[url]http://www.godsdirectcontact.com/vegetarian/alkalineoracid.html[/url]

Old 12-26-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I was also told no orange juice.
    fly

Old 01-18-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
    Hawaiian GERD

Hawaiian GERD HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Losec20mg
    here check out this chart

[url]http://www.godsdirectcontact.com/vegetarian/alkalineoracid.html[/url]
    Thanks for the chart. Hawaiian Gerd

Old 01-19-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Also, I think it's a trial and error type diet. Some foods that are listed as being able to cause flare ups may not for everyone. However, I would stick to the foods that would most likely not cause problems for awhile before I go experimenting with foods that may cause problems. With all that said, some days anything that goes into your body may cause problems, even water. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #7
    StaciL320
    (female)

StaciL320 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hawaiian GERD
    [SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Hi..I'm a newbie to the boards. I've just been diagnosed with GERD and haven't been a happy camper since. Does anyone have a "foods allowed" list for GERD? My doctor says to avoid fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, tomato-based foods, etc. My voice has become quite "baritone-ish" and hoarse and the reflux keeps me from sleeping well and I feel like I have a constant cold because of the sore throat feeling. Any information, help, advice from those who has this disease is greatly appreciated. I'd like to start feeling better.
    I have never offically been diagnosed with GERD, although I really think I have it anyway. I find that it acts up when I eat certain foods including fatty meats like bacon, chocolate, tomatoe based items and things with high acid like orange juice. Basically most of the things that your doctor told you to stay away from. Sometimes when I do have these things I get this really sour taste in my mouth, usually meaning it didn't agree with me. I think you are also supposed to sleep with your head elevated to help with the acids not coming up. I personally don't get heartburn too much but get other symptoms of GERD like a heaviness on my chest that I used to think was shortness of breath until I realized I felt this way generally after I ate something I shouldn't have.

Staci

Closed Thread