It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Question about Acid Reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2003, 11:19 AM   #1
    angeleyez5
    (female)

angeleyez5 HB User
    Question about Acid Reflux

Hi. I'm a 20 year old female and have recently went to the doctor and was diagnosed as having acid reflux. The reason I went to the doctors in the first place was because I have been having chest pain a lot. I have it at least a few times everyday. Some days it's really bad and some days I hardly notice it. Most of the pain is on the left side of my chest and sometimes, but rarely, the pain is on the right side. With the pain being on the left side more often than the right, it of course worried me that it was my heart.

Anyway, I don't know a lot about acid reflux. I don't know what it is supposed to feel like or if a chest pain is common. It usually does not last too long when it does occur, but sometimes it's a really sharp pain and stops my breathing for a few seconds and I have to take a deep breath for it to stop or feel like it has went away. Is this a common acid reflux symptom? Do any of you have chest pain and KNOW that it's acid reflux? What other symptoms does a person sometimes have with acid reflux? My doctor told me that since I do have IBS, acid reflux often times goes along with it. My doctor did prescribe something called "Stomach Cocktail" that I took for a short period of time and... it seems that it did make a difference with the chest pain but I can't be sure that it was the medicine that helped and not just it being a good day.

Anyone have the same symptoms for acid reflux? Anyone have any reassurance?

Thank you.

~Ashley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #2
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User
    Re: Question about Acid Reflux

I also have acid reflux and ibs.And yes it can cause pain in the chest.When i have the pain in my chest i can usually get relief by burping.Thats how i know its just an acid reflux episode.I also sometimes get and aching pain in my back on the shoulder blade along with it.There are alot of ppl who get chest pain ,and think there having a heart attack.It can be very scary at times.Alot of the time when i have chest pain it feels like something heavy is sitting on your chest.pressure like.Have you had any tests run for your heart?Just to be on the safe side so you can rule that out.?Hope this helps some.Take care

Old 12-27-2003, 08:34 PM   #3
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

I also have acid reflux and ibs.And yes it can cause pain in the chest.When i have the pain in my chest i can usually get relief by burping.Thats how i know its just an acid reflux episode.I also sometimes get and aching pain in my back on the shoulder blade along with it.There are alot of ppl who get chest pain ,and think there having a heart attack.It can be very scary at times.Alot of the time when i have chest pain it feels like something heavy is sitting on my chest,pressure like.Have you had any tests run for your heart?Just to be on the safe side so you can rule that out.?Hope this helps some.Take care

Old 12-27-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Sorry bout the repeat post.Wasnt sure wether it went thru the first time.

Old 12-28-2003, 12:08 AM   #5
    texasdreamer
    Inactive

texasdreamer HB User

Hi Ashley,
    Hate to hear about your pain, but I can relate because in the past
    I have had to get up at 3 am in the morning and just pace the floor.
    I have found relief though taking digestive enzymes. send an email
    to [email][email protected][/email] and I will tell you more

Quote:
    Originally Posted by angeleyez5
    Hi. I'm a 20 year old female and have recently went to the doctor and was diagnosed as having acid reflux. The reason I went to the doctors in the first place was because I have been having chest pain a lot. I have it at least a few times everyday. Some days it's really bad and some days I hardly notice it. Most of the pain is on the left side of my chest and sometimes, but rarely, the pain is on the right side. With the pain being on the left side more often than the right, it of course worried me that it was my heart.

Anyway, I don't know a lot about acid reflux. I don't know what it is supposed to feel like or if a chest pain is common. It usually does not last too long when it does occur, but sometimes it's a really sharp pain and stops my breathing for a few seconds and I have to take a deep breath for it to stop or feel like it has went away. Is this a common acid reflux symptom? Do any of you have chest pain and KNOW that it's acid reflux? What other symptoms does a person sometimes have with acid reflux? My doctor told me that since I do have IBS, acid reflux often times goes along with it. My doctor did prescribe something called "Stomach Cocktail" that I took for a short period of time and... it seems that it did make a difference with the chest pain but I can't be sure that it was the medicine that helped and not just it being a good day.

Anyone have the same symptoms for acid reflux? Anyone have any reassurance?

Thank you.

~Ashley

Old 12-30-2003, 12:38 AM   #6
    Kaye2003
    (female)

Kaye2003 HB User

I also have chest pains w/Acid Reflux. I woke up at 5:30 am last night and thought I was going to die. It hurt to breath, move, even try to potty. My pain is in my chest (under breast) and around my back. Feels like I'm being pushed in from all sides. Mine scare me so bad that I usually have somewhat of a panic attack also. I drink baking soda/water mix (my poppy died at 93 and thats all he ever used), and 1/2 ativan. Ativan calms my nerves and the baking/soda water make me burp like crazy. Usually within 15 minutes all is good again.

Closed Thread