It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Constant nausea. Any ideas?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2004, 04:00 AM   #1
    James Rutter

James Rutter HB User
    Constant nausea. Any ideas?

For about the past 2-3 months Ive been fighting nausea. It started as just brief (2-3 hour) episodes of mild nausea. Over New Years I had pretty severe nausea all day. It then went away and now I have very mild nausea that lasts all day. I am not vomitting and have not noticed any other symptoms (no odd colored stools, no rapid weight loss, no jaundice, etc.) . I occasionally have brief abdomen pains, but I suspect those are just normal pains as they are not prolonged nor severe.

I am a 32 yr old male, non-smoker, slightly overweight.

The internet is a great tool, however it can also be verf disheartening. Knowing better, Ive looked on the net for causes of this nausea... and have pretty much scared mysely.

I have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist, but unforutnately it's not until Feburary 23rd (Im on a cancellation list). My worry is that if it is something like cancer, waiting another month will only let it grow worse.

Should I be concerned with cancers. I know stomach, intestinal, and pancreatic cancer at my age is very rare, but is it something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Last edited by James Rutter; 01-22-2004 at 04:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 05:58 AM   #2
    luvmyboys

luvmyboys HB User
    Re: Constant nausea. Any ideas?

I would not worry about cancer quite yet. I have had nausea for a couple of years. I also have gerd, gastritis and IBS along with fibromyalgia and panic/anxiety problems. This can all cause nausea. Your stomach might be inflamed. Are you on anything like nexium or prevacid?

Old 01-22-2004, 06:36 AM   #3
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Don't worry about cancer until you find something to worry about. Naseau can be related too many things. You don't have any other symptoms except for some slight abdominal pain which is good. Go to your doctor and they can start by running some simple blood tests. You may also be prescribed something for the naseau though I don't necessarily like that approach because that could be covering the actual. Anyway, I would make an appointment to see your start and go from there. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:57 AM   #4
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

try eating pepermint or ginger. they are natural nausea medications. they really work wonders. i think everyone on the planet has nausea from time to time, thats why there is a billion dollar market for tums and pepto and what not, so don't think you are in for it. try the pepermint. the hard candies are great, you will feel much better.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2004, 07:06 AM   #5
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Hi Jim,
    I usually get that feeling after I have taken antibiotics for a week. It has always turned out to be a form of gastritis.
    I use Mastica for a week or so and take a probiotic supplement --- like Primadophilus- Reuteri daily and I get over it OK.

I have previously had endoscopic exams that indicate it is inflammation of the stomach (gastitis). Of course the GI doctor always tells me to take Prilosec and sometimes it works but usually not completely.

God Bless--- Harry

Old 01-22-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
    James Rutter

James Rutter HB User

I have been on Prevacid for a few years.. I have a small hiatial hernia (had an EGD done back in 2000).

The nausea is just really annoying and it doesn't seem to go away.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by moderator4; 02-01-2004 at 09:56 PM.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #7
    Losec20mg
    Inactive
    (male)

Losec20mg HB User

I am presently living my fourth month on gastitis..never had it in my life..doc found my stomach inflammed and, put me on prevacid 1/daily..I think the nausea is just you being out of shape and, probably malnourished, start eating right take vitamins and, get some air...and, start socializing with people..

Last edited by moderator4; 02-01-2004 at 10:00 PM.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:34 PM   #8
    luvmyboys

luvmyboys HB User

James,

Maybe the prevacid is starting to poop out on you. I have been wondering if it's doing that with me as some of my symptoms are getting worse again. My husband takes nexium and really likes it. I may ask to switch to that at my next appointment.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:08 AM   #9
    suzi47cmt

suzi47cmt HB User

Not sure if this will help or not, but another thing to try for nausea is B-12. This has helped me in the past, as well as the suggestions mentioned here by Harry.

Take care. Hope this helps, I know nausea is just SO irritating.

Suzi

Old 02-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

Could simply be your diet. I am on prevacid. Some dairy, black pepper, gravy,and caffiene all aggravate my stomach. Dairy and coffee espcially willl give me nausea symptoms.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #11
    longtimehurtin

longtimehurtin HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Constant nausea. Any ideas?

I bought ginger pellets from a health food store, you just put them under your toung, works wonders!

Last edited by moderator4; 02-02-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Old 02-15-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
    brownjt1

brownjt1 HB User

Hi James,
    I'm very interested what you find out. I now have had pretty much contant, low-grade nausea for 16 months. I've been through almost every test and about 9 doctors. Mine also started out with brief episodes before it became constant, virtually 24 hours a day for weeks on end. I am also a 32 year old male, slightly overweight (200 pds)

Is your neasea worse or better after you eat? Do you wake up with it?

Do you happen to have any of these, even only occassionally or very mild:
    lightheadedness
    ear ringing
    slight off balance feeling
    foggy head type feeling
    vertigo

If so you might start reading up on vestibular disorders such as vestibular neuronitis.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #13
    jossr
    (female)

jossr HB User

I, too, have these exact problems which I believe is bought on by the fibromyalgia. It seems that every year the fibro manifests itself somewhere in my body to cause be anywhere from 3 wks to 6 weeks of discomfort. This year it has manifested itself in my stomach. However, I am going to take my ativan daily until I can get control of the panic and anxiety. I am on Prevacid, metoclopramide and the ativan. Through prayer, I hope that we may find relief soon.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-17-2004 at 01:27 PM.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #14
    luvmyboys

luvmyboys HB User

I hope we find relief too. I have stopped taking my prevacid for a trial to see if not having enough acid in my stomach is causing it to empty too slow therefore causing all my fullness and bloating and nausea. I've read of quite a few people on this board who get these symptoms with prevacid. I just had an upper scope done and he didn't say anything to me after, but my follow up appointment is March 25. We'll see what he says. I haven't noticed as much nausea since stopping the prevacid. But it has also been my good part of the month. I usually get yucky all over with my period and stay that way until day 17 or so. I do still take xanax however I am weaning off of that very slowly. It's hard. I also take carafate. It helps soak up the excess bile in my stomach causing my gastritis. Helps with diahrrea too. Haven't had that either since starting it.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-17-2004 at 01:31 PM.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:32 PM   #15
    longtimehurtin

longtimehurtin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by suzi47cmt
    Not sure if this will help or not, but another thing to try for nausea is B-12. This has helped me in the past, as well as the suggestions mentioned here by Harry.

Take care. Hope this helps, I know nausea is just SO irritating.

Suzi
    I have also used mineral salts from the health food store that work quite well and do not affect any other meds you may be taking. I sometimes use Prochlorperazine 5 MG, seems to help some but the ginger pellets and mineral salts work much better...Tanya

Closed Thread