It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Throat Burning From Last Night's Reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
    terri48

terri48 HB User
    Throat Burning From Last Night's Reflux

I woke up at 2 a.m. choking and the acid came into my throat. I ate totally wrong yesterday, liverwurst, cake, right before bed. I occasionally take Prevacid but took it afterwards. However, here it is almost 24 hours later and my throat still burns, not nearly as bad though.

Do any of you get the burning in the throat so bad that you feel like going to the emergency room? This was the most severe episode. I haven't had one that woke me since November and it wasn't this bad. I know about permanent damage, stricture, Barrett's, I have read a lot. I also promised myself to follow the proper diet and not eat a few hours before bedtime. But I would like to know what some of you do to soothe your throat after an acid episode, and how long the burning usually lasts. Also, the taste from last night came up half of today....did the acid go into my bronchial tubes? Or am I clearing my throat because the body produces more mucus to help heal? Do any of you get the acid still happening the next day into your throat, after a nighttime episode? I know this is a lot of questions but I would so much appreciate advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
    lodgen
    (male)

lodgen HB User
    Wink Re: Throat Burning From Last Night's Reflux

diet is your problem and time you eat if you do the right thing you will not get

this problem.

fiber ,vegs, bland foods, never eat after 6 oclock pm , it will get worse

if you do not change your eating habits. small meals and no acidic foods

for now. lots of spring water and no other beverages right now.

oatmeal,chicken baked no skin,fish baked,veg steamed,eat a lot of fiber

to make your bowel movements good will improve you stomach preformance.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
    cheribea
    (female)

cheribea HB User
    Re: Throat Burning From Last Night's Reflux

Yup, I know exactly what you are talking about.
    Your reflux and burning throat are my symptoms exactly.
    As you probably know diet can help as can elevating your bed (or sleeping standing up like ahorse ) fiber also helps me and prilosec has been a miracle......... It takes a combination of all 4 of these things to keep my GERD under control.,,,,, if I slack up on ONE of these things I'll have a terrible night of vomit and will cough vomit out of my lungs and experience burning throat and lungs for up to 24 hours after. It is a really miserable disease to have isn't it? When you try to tell people they usually say something like "oh, yes I have heartburn if I eat certain foods too" GERD is so WAY BEYOND heartburn!! Before I went on prilosec I would have only oatmeal for supper and still wake with the severe GERD. I am now having asthma and breathing problems,,,,,, I think its probably caused by GERD.
    The bed elevation helps more than I thought it could.
    I feel for you.
    Best wishes,, cherib

Closed Thread