It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• When does Nexium become unsafe??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
    jspears

jspears HB User
    When does Nexium become unsafe??

How long can I take Nexium before I do irreversible damge to my insides? I'm 30 and I have been taking Nexium for 1 month but I want to know how long I can take it without worrying cause it's helping me alot.

My past history involves little to no medication whether it be over the counter or prescription.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
    Re: When does Nexium become unsafe??

My wife took the other purple pill-- Prilosec for 6 years and she started getting nauseated then quit. No known problems.

You may want to read a post on page 1 of the Information Archive at the top of the board posted by HRH about some studies being done on long term use of PPIs.

Old 02-19-2004, 05:57 AM   #3
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

I believe there aren't enough (if any) long term studies on the effects of these acid drugs. On the more detailed, technical material that comes with the drugs, there is mention that gastric cancer developed in some of the mice being tested. I don't think there have been any documented cases regarding humans developing gastric cancer from these drugs. The techinal material also indicates the drug should be used more on a short term basis. I believe that statement is there to cover their butts because the drug company knows that millions of people will be taking these drugs for long periods of time.

So I will conclude that the possible long term side effect could be increased chance for gettting gastric cancer. I believe it's because the lack of acids allow bacteria to grow and maybe let's food sit in the stomach too long allowing carcinogens in food to sit around for too long (my opinion only).

Old 03-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
    daletaylor77

daletaylor77 HB User

The docs usually say 12 months, but be careful--I was on it for a couple of months and my stomach ended up lazy--I developed constipations etc.

Last edited by moderator4; 03-20-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
    donna77

donna77 HB User

I've been on nexium for well over 1 1/2 year, 2 pils a day. It's keeps the reflux at least where i can handle it. I have barrett's esophugus. Also have IBS, doing another colonoscopy tomorrow to look again because of all the fissures, and lower left sided pain.

Closed Thread