It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Stress, Anxiety & Digestive Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
    maggiecttr
    (female)

maggiecttr HB User
    Question Stress, Anxiety & Digestive Problems

My doctors are now starting to think my burbles are stress/anxiety-related. I *do* do better when I have had valerian or a kava tea before bed. What are some good anti-anxiety prescription meds for people who have stress-related digestive disorders? How about natural stuff or supplements? (I can't take anticholinergenic types due to neuromuscular disease in my genetic background). Thanks! My endoscopy is Fri., and if nothing significant is found, I'm going with the stress idea. I will also be seeing a naturopath/Chinese medicine MD next week.

Thanks!
    Maggie C.

Last edited by maggiecttr; 02-18-2004 at 09:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
    auntjudyg
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntjudyg HB User
    Re: Stress, Anxiety & Digestive Problems

Watch out with the prescription stuff . . . quite a few of them have GI side effects. (Unless he is absolutely trustworthy, don't rely on your doctor to pay attention to the side effects even if you ask specifically . . . as the pharmacists.)

In terms of natural remedies, I know a couple of people (including myself) who have been helped with GABA. It is a semi-amino acid (don't know the technicalities . . . its an amino acid component or something). Unfortunately, to my mind, many of the ones available at stores are too high a dosage (750 mg.) which can lead to headaches. But you could start with something like 200-300 mg from an online source.

Old 02-18-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
    cheer up
    (female)

cheer up HB User

I like ALL the remedies I've tried, prescription and otherwise: first off, for an Rx, Librax is good -- also Xanax and Valium if you can get it and want to take it. Librax is very frequently prescribed for what you describe.

Also, try some calming, soothing, chamomile tea --- very nice indeed, any time of or day or night!!!!! The digestive system loves it.

As for other homeopathic stuff, I'm unfamiliar with it but I know there's a lot available. Trial and error may be the key. Above all, try your best to RELAX and talk yourself out of these anxieties -- it's hard, but deep breaths help and recognizing that nothing bad is truly happening -- it's trite but so often true that a lot of this IS all in our heads!

A sympathetic physician can be a Godsend, believe me, and can get you back on the right track. You'll have episodes, sure, but it won't control your life.

Last edited by moderator4; 02-22-2004 at 06:15 AM.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
    blondeyclaire

blondeyclaire HB User

auntjudy

Gaba will not help with anxiety as it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. Try picamilon, it has gaba in it but also niacinamide which is a vit B! Niacinamide does cross that barrier and brings the gaba with it.

Last edited by moderator4; 02-22-2004 at 06:19 AM.

Closed Thread