It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board

• Lactose Tolerant Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    Lactose Tolerance Question

I seem to have noticed that my bad gas attacks occur shortly after I drink my big whey protein shake after my gym workout. It makes me wonder if a may have become sort of lactose intolerant. I have two questions:

1) I plan to try out Lactaid as an experiment. Has anyone used this enzyme? If so, does it work well? Is there a better one to buy?

2) When I first started having my problems, my diagnosis was severe gastritis with slight erosions in the stomach and slighlty worse in the duodenum. I'm wondering if I have damaged my lactase producing ability. Is it possible to become lactose intolerant so late in life (I am 31)? I had no problems with protein shakes before my problems started but I seem to have a problem now. I don't drink the shakes over the weekend and my gas is practically gone which is why I plan to do a Lactaid experiment. I do take Omegazyme before each meal which has lactase in it but probably not much.

Last edited by actudan; 02-24-2004 at 06:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User
    Re: Lactose Tolerant Question

I am not lactose intolerant, but:

"Lactaid" is the product my GI doc recommends to people who are.

Yes, any damage to your digestive tract can cause lactose intolerance. People who are gluten intolerant often are lactose intolerant too, but discover that when they cut out gluten, they can have lactose again.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #3
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Thanks for the info. I have been tested for celiac disease by blood sample and it was negative. However, I was told by my new GI that the blood test is good but a small intestine biopsy is the gold standard. I will try the Lactaid and see what happens. Hopefully that will be all I need to fix me up.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

A small intestine biopsy is the surest way to diagnose Celiac, but the easiest way to tell is to stop eating wheat for a month and see if you feel better.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Well I tool one Lactaid Ultra last night along with my whey protein shake. I still experienced some gas afterwards but not as severe. I will try taking two tonight to see if that helps even more. Or last night could have just have been a coincidental good night. I guess it will take a few days to know for sure.

Old 02-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
    Cindy Stoller
    Inactive

Cindy Stoller HB User
    Re: Lactose Tolerance Question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by actudan
    I seem to have noticed that my bad gas attacks occur shortly after I drink my big whey protein shake after my gym workout. It makes me wonder if a may have become sort of lactose intolerant. I have two questions:

1) I plan to try out Lactaid as an experiment. Has anyone used this enzyme? If so, does it work well? Is there a better one to buy? <LACTAID WORKS VERY WELL; DOESNT ALWAYS ELIMINATE 100% BUT DOES GET THE MAJORITY OF THE SYMPTOMS.>

2) When I first started having my problems, my diagnosis was severe gastritis with slight erosions in the stomach and slighlty worse in the duodenum. I'm wondering if I have damaged my lactase producing ability. Is it possible to become lactose intolerant so late in life (I am 31)? <IT IS MOST DEFINITELY POSSIBLE> I had no problems with protein shakes before my problems started but I seem to have a problem now. I don't drink the shakes over the weekend and my gas is practically gone which is why I plan to do a Lactaid experiment. I do take Omegazyme before each meal which has lactase in it but probably not much.
    <TAKE THE LACTAID TABLETS, OR DRINK THE LACTAID MILK (PREMIXED OR YOU CAN BUY DROPS TO PUT IN A GLASSFUL OR A GALLON). THEN START WATCHING AND IDENTIFYING THE FOODS THAT BOTHER YOU THE MOST, AND EITHER LIMIT YOUR INTAKE OF THEM OR ELIMINATE THEM ALTOGETHER.>

Old 03-01-2004, 06:04 AM   #7
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User

Thanks for the replies and advice. So far, so good on the lactaid. I can eat cheese and other dairy products but the whey protein shakes seem to be the main culptrit so far. I guess it will be a eat and see what happens sort of thing to find which foods are causing problems.

Closed Thread